TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball

This could get embarassing.

Oh, I think it's already reached the level of embarrassing. It's dynamite and all the George has deep pockets, but what's it say about the team with the best record in baseball, one of the biggest leads in any division in baseball and having eight All-Stars, yet feels they still need to add a future HOF pitcher to win it all? Don't give me that "they want to win" crap, because considering the guys they've got, that shouldn't be a problem. A lot of teams over the years have done it all with much fewer resources.

Guest Anglesault
This could get embarassing.

Oh, I think it's already reached the level of embarrassing. It's dynamite and all the George has deep pockets, but what's it say about the team with the best record in baseball, one of the biggest leads in any division in baseball and having eight All-Stars, yet feels they still need to add a future HOF pitcher to win it all?

I don't know, what does it say?

It's always nice to have an insurance policy in baseball. The Yankees would like to take one out.

Guest FrigidSoul

a HoF pitcher is not an "insurance policy". The Yankees have shit for a farm system and if they did get RJ mostly through financial means it would be complete and utter horseshit.

Guest Anglesault
a HoF pitcher is not an "insurance policy".

To each his own.

The Yankees have shit for a farm system

A thought that has been greatly exaggerated to the point where people hear Yankees farm system and picture tumbleweed flying by.

It's not a good farm, but it's not as bad as has been broadcasted. The lower levels actually have some guys that show promise.

Guest Anglesault
Navarro and Crosby are all they have.

And Cano. And depending on how generous you feel, some pitchers.

Those are the major league ready prospects. Since we're talking about trading for Randy Johnson, that's all that matters.

But the farm gets alot less ugly in the low A levels. The Yankees have drafted pretty decently the past two years.

Guest Brian

Johnson was always an annoying personality. I remember him trying to pick a fight with Segui back on the M's, and I'm sure there were other stories of the like.

Guest Anglesault
Johnson was always an annoying personality. I remember him trying to pick a fight with Segui back on the M's, and I'm sure there were other stories of the like.

Segui could have been more considerate of his teammates.

I'm sick of this courting Johnson nonsense. He's not a free agent, and I don't see any possible way the Red Sox or Yankees could offer a worthwhile package for him.

I'm keeping an eye on the Anaheim Angels. If they decide they want him, they have him. They have Casey Kotchman, Dallas McPherson, or Jeff Mathis, and any of those guys could bring in the Unit.

Ultimately, however, the D'backs will be worse next year if they trade Johnson. They should hold on to him.

Oh, who cares about the D-Backs? They'll suck not because they dumped Johnson, they will because they dumped their team to the Brewers for nothing. The way I see it, the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers should all be stockpiling the best players they can get from now to the deadline, because those four teams are realistically the only teams in baseball that should even matter.

Guest Anglesault
Ultimately, however, the D'backs will be worse next year if they trade Johnson. They should hold on to him.

Yes, instead of losing 105 games without, they'll lose 90 with him.

Break up the Diamondbacks.

I haven't seen this talked about yet, but on ESPN 1000 in Chicago, they're talking about prospects to Arizona, Johnson to Boston, and NOMAH to the Cubs. I like it.

Guest Anglesault
I haven't seen this talked about yet, but on ESPN 1000 in Chicago, they're talking about prospects to Arizona, Johnson to Boston, and NOMAH to the Cubs. I like it.

In a way, I almost do too.

If Boston blows it (which they inevitably will) with Martinez, Johnson and Schilling, that would make my year.

And I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want Nomar.

Guest Anglesault
I take it you've never seen Alex Gonzalez or Rey Ordonez swing a bat, then?

I've also never seen them pout on a bench when their team needed them either.

And I'll always have a soft spot for Rey. I'm one of the precious few that saw a homerun out of him. Yes, I do occasionally go to Shea.

And I'll always have a soft spot for Rey. I'm one of the precious few that saw a homerun out of him. Yes, I do occasionally go to Shea.

come to the "dark" side.....

Wait..........you LIKED Rey FUCKING Ordonez?

you are on the "dark" side

Guest FrigidSoul
I'm sick of this courting Johnson nonsense. He's not a free agent, and I don't see any possible way the Red Sox or Yankees could offer a worthwhile package for him.

You have to court a guy who has a no-trade clause. Its not like they're going behind Arizona's back to do it. I think you would be fine with it if the Phillies were involved in the talks.

Won't happen. Theo doesn't want to trade Nomar. He's been going out of his way to make sure Nomar is ok with things and to dispell "rumors" of the front office not wanting him. That's why Theo was down in Atlanta during that series and why he met with Nomar upon coming back from the NY series. Unless Theo is bluffing he keeps saying "If we're going to win anything then we need Nomar Garciaparra here"

Also supposedly the Diamondbacks would be fine with Abe Alvarez and Kevin Youkilis for Schilling. Youkilis is ready now and Alvarez will be ready next season. I'd rather not see Youkilis dealt though. I'm of the mind that a package of Abe Alvarez, Anastacio Martinez, and Hanley Ramirez would get it done. 2 pitchers ready to step in next season and a SS 3 years away. Maybe they can get Arizona to take Kentucky Fried Cowboy Up Millar too so Youkilis gets more playing time. They would still have the funds needed to resign Sexon long-term and grab a SP from FA.

Don't know if there should be a separate thread for this, but word is Jimy Williams will be fired tomorrow. Ken Rosenthal said it on Sporting News Radio and they were just talking about it on WFAN

Gammons is reporting the same thing. Until it does happen, let's wait to create a seperate thread.

The rumored favorite is Phil Garner, with Don Baylor and Grady Little being considered.

Let's see a two time failure in Garner, and Baylor and another Red Sox manager reject.

I don't want Baylor to leave.......he's one of the reasons why the Mets have been hitting quite good lately (him and Edgar Alfonso, Edgardo's brother helped Hidalgo out of his slump).

You have to court a guy who has a no-trade clause. Its not like they're going behind Arizona's back to do it. I think you would be fine with it if the Phillies were involved in the talks.

I would not, because I don't want to see the Phillies deal their prospects.