TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Worst Sports Cliches

Anything where a fan takes a station's letters and makes some clever phrase, like

Can't

Beat

Sacramento or whatever.

The only good sign of that type was in WCW.:

Terry

Bollea

Sucks

The guy kept it folded up until the camera focused on him, then he revealed the rest of the sign.

Guest Redhawk

"He's not the most talented player, but...."

Technically, EVERYONE except for the most talented player isn't the most talented player. So if we wanted to agree that, oh, Tracy McGrady was the most talented NBA player, I'd like to hear an announcer say, "LeBron isn't the most talented player, but..."

And I'm getting sick of hearing "dropped" in reference to how many points a guy scores.

The Movie Stars thing is this:

-half of them aren't real fans anyways. They're just there to be on camera

-they only appear during big games to get on camera

And of course there's the trend of the network (usually Fox) planting their stars in the stands so they can get on camera and allow the announcer to shill whatever show they're on.

Guest Redhawk

"Timely hitting" = Isn't all hitting timely? I've never heard a baseball fan say, "Man, we really didn't need that double. Couldn't he have grounded out instead?"

"These guys just plain know how to win."

Said of teams that are well-rounded but lack the big-name players in the lineup. See: Minnesota Twins, Oakland A's. The Atlanta Braves are moving into this category. This year's Cardinals are around there too.

Everybody knows how to win a baseball game: score more runs than you allow. Duh.

Guest Staravenger
"He's one of the games 'good guys'..."

I heard this about Scott Rolen on ESPN or something. Why is this relevant to the homer he just hit?

Because ESPN sucks?

I have no real nitpicking except for biased commentary teams. I always assumed that all broadcasters had to remain impartial.