TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Worst Sports Cliches

Guest Anglesault

"This is the year!"

::team blows it::

"Wait til next year!"

Newest NBA one that came about the last few years, courtesy of Kobe: "It's not a series until a team wins one on the road". What the fuck ever.

Didn't Pat Riley say that before 'em? Either way, what the hell. It's a series starting from game 1.

You are correct CW. Riles said it first awhile back and Kobe resurrected it a season or two ago. Since it seems the NBA world revolves around Kobe and Shaq, credit will end up going to Kobe on the cliche.

Well then hopefully Kobe realized it was a series when he got his ass beat at home in Game 1 of the Finals....oh wait nobody believed it was a series even then.......so him saying he's spewing BS when he says that.

"I'd like to thank ever--fuck that, I'd like to thank myself for winning this MVP trophy and this Championship. I had outstanding playoffs; they just gave me the ball and I scored at will and as for the other team? They suck. That's why they lost, I mean I bet them by myself. People like to thank God when they win a game, well yeah, I'd like to thank myself too."

That's the kind of post game interview I'd love to see.

"I'd like to thank ever--fuck that, I'd like to thank myself for winning this MVP trophy and this Championship. I had outstanding playoffs; they just gave me the ball and I scored at will and as for the other team? They suck. That's why they lost, I mean I bet them by myself. People like to thank God when they win a game, well yeah, I'd like to thank myself too."

That's the kind of post game interview I'd love to see.

That'd bring the ratings in. I can picture that Leon guy (football player) from the "True" commercials (forgot which beer it is) saying something like that.

Well then hopefully Kobe realized it was a series when he got his ass beat at home in Game 1 of the Finals....oh wait nobody believed it was a series even then.......so him saying he's spewing BS when he says that.

Heck, According to that quote, the Miami/N.O series ended before it started.

Carmelo actually sorta did the above thing, it was like "and in addition to everyone I thanked, I've really gotta thank...myself, actually, because I pushed me to work out and try hard just as much as anyone else did. So I guess I thank myself for this too."

Leon. Heh. "Leon lives in the right now."

Guest Vitamin X

I can't imagine how much fun you must have mocking a team that's infinitely better than the one you like. ;)

I can't imagine how much fun you must have mocking a team that's infinitely better than the one you like. ;)

Hey we have more overall championships!

And once I have completed my coupe of Danny Ainge then we'll be padding that record!

It's not so much that I hate the Lakers it's that I hate there star players and the movie stars that show up to the games. I also hate how we just HAVE to see who's there and be told that this team is better.....b/c movie stars come to there games that probably know little to nothing about basketball.

That'd bring the ratings in. I can picture that Leon guy (football player) from the "True" commercials (forgot which beer it is) saying something like that.

Budweiser. They've been using the "True" slogan since "Whassup?" and probably before that as well.

Terry Tate needs to tackle a player every time they utter a cliche.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The early/mid 90's were a very trying time for me as a football fan.

The worst boxing cliche is "great white hope." A fighter's race means jack, unless the guy he's fighting or being promoted by is a racist.

"America's team"

The only "America's Team" was the 1980 US Hockey Team. But, I agree with that accessment, as the Cowboys and Braves have both been labelled as that, and it's just silly.

My least favorite is "backs against the wall" when a team is facing elimination.

The only "America's Team" was the 1980 US Hockey Team. But, I agree with that accessment, as the Cowboys and Braves have both been labelled as that, and it's just silly.

Well, there's backstory behind the Braves, as with the advent of cable television, TBS arrived in most homes, and aired the majority of Atlanta Braves games. Thus they were the first team aired coast-to-coast.

Whenever any sort of tragedy occurs. This puts things in prespective or suddenly the game doesn't mean has much anymore.

I hate this one as well. Like people need something tragic to happen to know that Sports are for entertainment.

My other least favorite cliche is when an upset occurs and the team declares that they "shocked the world". The world doesn't care.

Major bonus points when the saying occurs after a meaningless game.

Guest Vitamin X

And once I have completed my coupe of Danny Ainge then we'll be padding that record!

It's not so much that I hate the Lakers it's that I hate there star players and the movie stars that show up to the games. I also hate how we just HAVE to see who's there and be told that this team is better.....b/c movie stars come to there games that probably know little to nothing about basketball.

I think eventually the Lakers are going to overtake the Celt's overall championships lead before Boston has a chance to pad it. Mark my words.

And what's wrong with movie stars going to games? Are celebrities who enjoy sports not allowed to enjoy them anymore because of their celebrity status? And who's saying the Lakers are a better team because celebrities come to their games? It's Los Angeles, for christ's sake, the entertainment capital of the world, of course there's going to be famous people around. You see plenty of famous people at Knicks games as well, and there were some stars in the Pistons audience too.

I think eventually the Lakers are going to overtake the Celt's overall championships lead before Boston has a chance to pad it. Mark my words.

And what's wrong with movie stars going to games? Are celebrities who enjoy sports not allowed to enjoy them anymore because of their celebrity status? And who's saying the Lakers are a better team because celebrities come to their games? It's Los Angeles, for christ's sake, the entertainment capital of the world, of course there's going to be famous people around. You see plenty of famous people at Knicks games as well, and there were some stars in the Pistons audience too.

It's not that, it's that they only show up during playoff time and act like they're really fans when they are only there for the attention. Jack, Spike, and Woody Allen are true die hards though.

Guest Redhawk

"Five-tool player." = Doesn't EVERY position player who's good enough to make it to the major leagues have all five tools? Sure, David Ortiz isn't the next Lou Brock, but the man could steal a base if he had to. And Fernando Vina ain't exactly Sammy Sosa, but he can hit home runs. And even though he's a DH, I'm sure Edgar Martinez knows how to use a glove. The only non-five-tool players are probably pitchers, but even a lot of them played positions growing up.

There are celebrities who attend games solely for the notoriety, and will turn down tickets if they aren't good enough, as it hurts their image.

"Five-tool player." = Doesn't EVERY position player who's good enough to make it to the major leagues have all five tools? Sure, David Ortiz isn't the next Lou Brock, but the man could steal a base if he had to. And Fernando Vina ain't exactly Sammy Sosa, but he can hit home runs. And even though he's a DH, I'm sure Edgar Martinez knows how to use a glove. The only non-five-tool players are probably pitchers, but even a lot of them played positions growing up.

A five-tool player refers to a player who is above-average to excellent with all five traits. Not just some ability at each.

The Movie Stars thing is this:

-half of them aren't real fans anyways. They're just there to be on camera

-they only appear during big games to get on camera

-If the Clippers were in the position the Lakers have been in the past few years I gurantee they'd all be at Clippers games.

-except the diehards like Jack they're all fair weather fans and when the Lakers go down the shitter I'm sure they go to.

-the announcers and general media seem to treat it as some great thing that makes the Lakers better b/c they have movie stars at there games.

Guest Redhawk

When Wayne Gretzky got traded to the LA Kings, it was the same thing. All of a sudden, Hollywood-heads were at Kings games in droves, although I'm sure 75% of them didn't even know shit about hockey. And when the Wayne-sanity died down and the Kings went back to sucking, the movie stars faded away.

"He's showing that this is the ultimate team sport!" -when a pitcher gets a grounder and throws it to first to get the out.

Uh yeah, I'm sure the pitcher really got the outfielders, bullpen, and bench involved on that one.

Guest Vitamin X

Again, you don't know that. There are such things as casual fans, and what difference does it make anyways? Do you have to BE INTO SOMETHING 100% ALL THE FREAKIN TIME YEAH BABY WOOO just to enjoy something?

I can see that.

-If the Clippers were in the position the Lakers have been in the past few years I gurantee they'd all be at Clippers games except the diehards like Jack they're all fair weather fans and when the Lakers go down the shitter I'm sure they go to.

True, but that can apply to just about ANY fan on ANY team in practically ANY sport, with few exceptions.

Again, you don't know that. There are such things as casual fans, and what difference does it make anyways? Do you have to BE INTO SOMETHING 100% ALL THE FREAKIN TIME YEAH BABY WOOO just to enjoy something?

I can see that.

-If the Clippers were in the position the Lakers have been in the past few years I gurantee they'd all be at Clippers games except the diehards like Jack they're all fair weather fans and when the Lakers go down the shitter I'm sure they go to.

True, but that can apply to just about ANY fan on ANY team in practically ANY sport, with few exceptions.

You're talking to a Celtics fan here and telling them that most people can't support there team when they're shitty......those people suck.