TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Why the hell are they on the bill?

I saw Incubus open for Pantera and Black Sabbath. In retrospect it seems like a really weird opening group, but they didn't seem all that out of place at the time. They pretty much only played music that fit the tone of the two bands that followed them... as well as some weird bongo-drum laced jam session.

You do realise most of the examples given in this thread are not all that unusual. I mean, fair enough, if you only like one clearly defined style and want all the bands on a bill to sound identical to the band you paid to see, then of course you will be dissappointed if one of the acts varies ever-so-slightly in style. However, if you are a reasonably open-minded music listener then you should be able to accept that a band you go to see may be supported by a band who are of a different musical "style", but the same "genre" if you will. (As long as its not, for example, Dido playing second from the top at the V Festival this year).

Guest GreatOne

There's these infamous bills:

Hendrix opening for the Monkees

Beastie Boys for Madonna

You would have thought Alice In Chains was out of place opening on the Clash of the Titans going by the reception they got (Megadeth actually got the same in most places though 'FUCK YOU, WE WANT SLAYER!!!!!!!)

Metallica on the US Monsters of Rock stadium tour in 88

Slayer and Slipknot earlier this year in Europe (Kerry King once said of Slayer never having toured with Stryper 'We were too worried our fans would have killed their fans...and them')

The GNR/Metallica thing and David Lee Roth/Sammy Hagar shows were just set up for doom. (surprised GNR/Metallica actually worked)

It wasn't a real show thank god, but the infamous 'Beavis and Butthead hang out with Stuart and his parents' episode where they announce Monsters Of Metal with Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer and COLOR ME BADD. ('Hey Butthead, these boys from Slayer really know how to shed!' Stuart's dad)

The whole Anthrax/Public Enemy thing, which could be argued good OR bad.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Soundgarden for GNR

RHCP For Foo Fighters

---

I don't find either of those odd pairings especially the later. Modern RHCP isn't that far off from the Foo