TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Copper Feel

1994 and 1995 ps top 10.

these are u.k based magazine powerslams top 10 wrestlers from 1994 and 1995.

10. vader.

9. nobuhiko takada.

8. sabu.

7. steve williams.

6. bret hart.

5. jushin liger.

4. mitsuharu misawa.

3. toshiaki kawada.

2. chris benoit.

1. shawn michaels.

10. ken shamrock.

9. keiji mutoh.

8. kenta kobashi.

7. sabu.

6. bret hart.

5. toshiaki kawada.

4. eddie gurreou.

3. shawn michaels.

2. chris benoit.

1. mitsuharu misawa.

discuss!

Guest Staravenger

Did Shawn Michaels even wrestle more than 5 matches PERIOD in 1994 (on TV).

WM X v. Ramon

vs. Kid & Razor

vs. Razor on a RAW in Summer.

I don't count Rumbles, and he wrestled all of 6 seconds in the SSeries match that lasted over 20:00.

Guest jm29195

10. ken shamrock.

How did Ken Shamrock get ranked 10 in 95? I'm he was in UFC at that time, not getting a wwf contract until Feb 97?

10. ken shamrock.

How did Ken Shamrock get ranked 10 in 95? I'm he was in UFC at that time, not getting a wwf contract until Feb 97?

I'm sure he was working somewhere.

Hell, as a complete nobody he lost to Barry Horowitz at a WWF show in 1989.

Did he not work indies as Vince Torrelli or something similar? I seem to remember PS putting UFC/Pancrase guys in the list though.

Buzz Sawyer trained him for wrestling in 1988. He worked as a jobber under the names "Kenny Wayne" and "Vince Torelli". Here's how his first WWF stint ended supposedly:

Some years ago, the WWF had a prelim wrestler named, variously, Kenny

Wayne, or Kenny Wayne Shamrock.  One evening at a local watering hole,

this young jobber got into an argument with Jerry Saganovich of the

Nasty Boys.  A brawl ensued, with Saganovich and his  tag-team

partner, Brian Knobbs, participating in what was by all accounts an

ass-whipping the likes of which Steve Austin can only dream. 

All parties involved understood the truth about the altercation.  The

Nasties were a big-name tag-team, while Shamrock wasn't even up to the

Mark Starr level in his career.

Then I found this bit about how he got involved with shootfighting:

In September 1990 Shamrock earned a spot with the second incarnation of Japan's UWF shoot fighting group, Dean Malenko"The man of a 1000 Holds"had recommended Pro Wrestling Fujiwara-Gum he introduced him to Sammy Surinaka and arranged a tryout.He passed without a problem but the group was on the verge of a breakup.Ken made a lasting impression on UWF stars Masakatsu Funaki and Minoru Suzuki who invited Ken to join a shootfighting organization they were forming named Pancrase.

Masakatsu Funaki and Minoru Suzuki moved from Pro Wrestling Fujiwara-Gumi, Shamrock was also offered a spot. In this promotion, which emphasized on suplexes, mat work, and submissions.This provided Ken with a priceless training ground in which his skills improved. When Funaki and Suzuki moved on again for the formation of Pancrase in September 1993,Ken was invited to join.Ken was ready to equal and surpass their superstar status. and that was exactly what he did, by defeating Funaki in the main event of Pancrase's inaugural show on September 21. Ken Shamrock continued his victory streak in Pancrase by defeating Yoshiki Takahashi and Yusuke Fuke.

Some years ago, the WWF had a prelim wrestler named, variously, Kenny Wayne, or Kenny Wayne Shamrock.  One evening at a local watering hole, this young jobber got into an argument with Jerry Saganovich of the

Nasty Boys.  A brawl ensued, with Saganovich and his  tag-team partner, Brian Knobbs, participating in what was by all accounts an ass-whipping the likes of which Steve Austin can only dream.

I'm interested to know where that info came from.

I did find a few instances - VERY few - of a Ken Wayne who was around in 92 and 93. Lost a squash to Nailz and appeared on a joint card with USWA.

Some years ago, the WWF had a prelim wrestler named, variously, Kenny Wayne, or Kenny Wayne Shamrock.  One evening at a local watering hole, this young jobber got into an argument with Jerry Saganovich of the

Nasty Boys.  A brawl ensued, with Saganovich and his  tag-team partner, Brian Knobbs, participating in what was by all accounts an ass-whipping the likes of which Steve Austin can only dream.

I'm interested to know where that info came from.

I did find a few instances - VERY few - of a Ken Wayne who was around in 92 and 93. Lost a squash to Nailz and appeared on a joint card with USWA.

I pretty sure that's a different Ken Wayne, as he got a pretty decent push in the USWA as one half of the Nightmares with Danny Davis (not the WWF referee), IIRC.

Guest Staravenger

I maybe be a little bit slow, but did Shamrock whoop both of the Nasty Boys, or was it the other way around?

seeing as the nasty boys had reputations as being legitimate tought guys it was two against one and ken shamrock didnt get involved in shoot fighting until 1990 id imagine they whooped his ass.

I can't find 1 instance of anyone by the name of Shamrock - save for one match in 89 - prior to 1997. The Nasty Boys showed up in the tail end of 1990. I'm interested to know when this took place, exactly.

Guest theoldxpac

It was on the Shamrock shoot. Apprently they pissed him off in the night club (Mind goes blank for this part of the story but anyway) Shamrock ends up going to their hotel room ready to beat the shit out of them, and gets kocked by something as he goes into their room as one of them was hidding behind the door.

Dasm thats very vague :(

7. steve williams.

6. bret hart.

5. jushin liger.

4. mitsuharu misawa.

3. toshiaki kawada.

2. chris benoit.

1. shawn michaels.

Bahahahahahaha!

Let me know when HBK had a match that even approaches Kawada/Williams 4/94 from that year or even Misawa/Williams 7/2/8/94. Now that I think about it, I would probably put Williams over HBK from that year. Takada/Vader also kills anything HBK or Hart did that year.

10. ken shamrock.

9. keiji mutoh.

8. kenta kobashi.

7. sabu.

6. bret hart.

5. toshiaki kawada.

4. eddie gurreou.

3. shawn michaels.

2. chris benoit.

1. mitsuharu misawa.

This is just madness though I agree with Misawa as number one. I would love to see HBK lead Gary Albright through a great pro style match like Kawada did. Taue had a helluva year as well and by this point was a far superior worker than Mutoh or Hash.

Guest Staravenger
Let me know when HBK had a match that even approaches Kawada/Williams 4/94 from that year or even Misawa/Williams 7/2/8/94. Now that I think about it, I would probably put Williams over HBK from that year. Takada/Vader also kills anything HBK or Hart did that year.

Michaels shouldn't even be in the Top 10 PERIOD. I don't know whos banana he peeled to get the #1 slot, but thats just insane considering he was pretty much inactive from January-August and was on TV mainly as Diesels corner man up until November.

Michaels shouldn't even be in the Top 10 PERIOD. I don't know whos banana he peeled to get the #1 slot, but thats just insane considering he was pretty much inactive from January-August and was on TV mainly as Diesels corner man up until November.

i didnt become a wrestling fan until early 2000 so i wouldnt know about michaels not wrestling much in 1994. but i heard somwere on this board tat for the first year or so powerslam was bill apter type levels of markish.

Let me know when HBK had a match that even approaches Kawada/Williams 4/94 from that year or even Misawa/Williams 7/2/8/94.  Now that I think about it, I would probably put Williams over HBK from that year. Takada/Vader also kills anything HBK or Hart did that year.

He was also the colour man on RAW for most of the year. He didn't wrestle much at all in 1994.

Guest ally mccoist

i didnt become a wrestling fan until early 2000 so i wouldnt know about michaels not wrestling much in 1994. but i heard somwere on this board tat for the first year or so powerslam was bill apter type levels of markish.

It was. Kind of. They slowly evolved into a fully fledged smark mag by the late nineties i think. First time I bought PS I was still a mark, and I didn't understand a word in the mag. Heel, face, angle? WHAT THE FUCK!?! Powerslam actually taught me what all that shit meant which was cool.

But it was never, to my knowledge, an Apter-like mag. Looking through old issues I noticed an ECW event won the Best Card of 94 Award which surprised me big time.