TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Roberto Alomar traded to White Sox

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1852664

PHOENIX -- The Arizona Diamondbacks traded 12-time All-Star second baseman Roberto Alomar to the Chicago White Sox on Thursday for a player to be named and cash.

Alomar batted .309 with three home runs and 16 RBI in 39 games for the Diamondbacks this season. He missed 56 games with a broken right hand after being hit by a pitch in Milwaukee on April 20.

Alomar, 36, joined the Diamondbacks in the offseason after the White Sox chose not to offer him arbitration and left him a free agent. The Mets traded Alomar to Chicago last summer after the 10-time Gold Glove winner slumped in New York. He hit .253 in 67 games for Chicago last year.

The trade reunited Alomar with his brother, Sandy, a catcher for the White Sox. Roberto Alomar will join the White Sox on Friday for their home game against Cleveland.

The White Sox were six games behind Minnesota in the AL Central going into Thursday night's game at Kansas City, and also in the wild-card chase.

Arizona has the worst record in the majors, and Alomar had been mentioned previously as a possible trade candidate as the Diamondbacks looked to unload some veterans. Steve Finley and Brent Mayne were traded to Los Angeles last weekend, although ace Randy Johnson remained with the team.

The switch-hitting Alomar is a career .301 hitter with 209 home runs, 1,126 RBI and 474 stolen bases in 17 seasons with San Diego, Toronto, Baltimore, Cleveland, the Mets, the White Sox and Arizona.

My best guess is that the Sox will play Alomar at second, move Juan Uribe to short, move Jose Valentin to third, and bench Joe Crede. I doubt the PTBNL will be anyone important, so I can't fault the Sox for this move.

Guest Staravenger
Is this the first time in MLB history that a team has traded for two players (Alomar, Everett) or even one player two years in a row?

Maybe Ricky Henderson, but I don't know. I know Henderson had like 5 or 6 different stints with the Athletics during his career.

Only once did they trade Rickey and then trade back for him but those deals with the Yankees were four and a half years apart.

So how long before Kenny re-trades for Rocky Biddle?

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

the bright side is I already gave up on this season after Thomas and Ordonez got injured, so things like getting 2-hit by Brian Anderson or trading for Alomar don't affect me like they normally would.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I've been bashing Willie Harris all year, and now I have perhaps the most damning insult

Willie Harris: he makes Roberto Alomar look good.