TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

Problems on the new "Graduate" movie

just got this off of 411mania:

Costner Responsible For Firing Of Director

Posted By Nadia on 08.19.04

Actor causes problems on the set...

Kevin Costner was instrumental in the firing of director Ted Griffin on the Jennifer Aniston film based on The Graduate.

The film tells the story of a woman (Aniston) who believes the movie The Graduate could have been based on her grandmother (Shirley MacClaine).

According to a source, "It's totally Costner's fault, not Jennifer's. He was constantly in Ted's face about what he was doing wrong, criticizing him repeatedly about his setups in front of Paula Weinstein (one of the film's producers). He said several times loudly to anyone who would listen, 'This movie will take a year to shoot if you don't get rid of Ted.' It was more and more difficult for Ted to maintain any kind of respect from his crew with Costner constantly bitching at him around the clock. Finally, Ted asked Costner rather firmly, but not loudly, to return to his trailer. Costner screamed, 'I will not. Not until you change the lighting set-up like I told you."

Costner's behavior reportedly struck a note with Shirley MacClaine, who said to co-star Mena Suvari, "There once was a time when actors respected their director." To which Costner retorted to MacLaine, "You keep out of this."

Credit: Cinecon.com

You know, considering how far Costner's carrer has fallen down into the crapper (his last good movie, IMO, was 13 Days, and that was a couple of years ago) he is the LAST person to be bossing around the director. Why they didn't just fire his ass and get someone else is beyond me.

Guest wrestlingbs

Considering Costnar directed one of the most ridiculed bombs of the 90's, only to make his "comeback" with probably the second most ridiculed film of the 90's, I would take a three year old's advice on directing compared to Costnar's. He was good in Open Range, but has no business behind the camera. And Mrs. MacClaine, most actors do still respect the director. It's just that this prick doesn't.

I thought Open Range was good.

I concur.

Then again, I didn't find the Postman to be a horrible movie if you got by the first god damn hour of crap.

i find it funny that fritz lang, one of the most obsessively controlling directors ever, had no problem keeping his mouth shut when he acted in 'contempt', and kevin fucking costner is telling his director how to do set-ups.