TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Olympic Chatter

For those interested, Kyoko Hamaguchi, daughter of Japanese wrestler Animal Hamaguchi, lost her semifinal match yesterday to Xu Wang of China via decision. She will participate in the bronze medal match, scheduled for 8:20 Athens time, and 1:20 ET.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Swedish soccer chicks are alright. I can't watch this though.

Serbia not even getting to the medal round might be almost as big as a surprise on the U.S. losing two games. Guess not having Peja is what killed them.

I was hoping they'd chant "Bullshit", but they did good enough. That Paul Hamm guy pisses me off too.

Why? He sounded cocky in his last interview, but it's easy to see why he'd be in a bad mood when so many people are saying he didn't deserve his gold medal after that great comeback because the judges got the starting scores wrong. And then the crowd is booing and whistling through his whole routine last night because the judges fucked up again. (I loved the crowd, but when the Russian guy told them to quiet down, they should have shut up)

Guest Nanks

It's all well and good to have made a great comeback, but the simple fact is that the scoring was messed up and he didn't deserve to win. You'd be fit to kill if it you had been robbed of Olympic Gold because of idiot judges fucking it up.

He did deserve to win though. Like they said last night, if the judges went back and fixed their mistakes, they'd have to dock the Korean an additional .2 points for doing an extra hold or something that he wasn't supposed to do. Then he wouldn't even get a bronze. It's a good thing for him that they can't go back and change results after the event is over and the medals are awarded for a judging mistake.

He just sounded a bit arrogant, if he should give it back he should. I mean, the guy did fall in one of the events of the all-around, it's not like he did a superb job. He's overrated, and got over scored yesterday as well.

He just sounded a bit arrogant, if he should give it back he should. I mean, the guy did fall in one of the events of the all-around, it's not like he did a superb job. He's overrated, and got over scored yesterday as well.

He fell but in all the other events, he was much better than the Koreans, and his last two were almost perfect. All his scores besides the vault was 9.7+. The Koreans were good, not great, and the bronze medalist even got scored higher than he should have. Of course the only reason all 3 made it was because everyone else messed up in that one event. But it was a pretty superb job to make a comeback like that.

As for the scoring last night, well his high bar last night was about the same as the night he got a 9.83, he just had the hop. Other than that, it was flawless, he just shoudn't have been scored higher than the Russian. Paul was probably a little pissed that they booed during his routine and after he managed a good performance they booed again because the Russian was knocked off. It's not his fault the stupid judges scored the Russian way too low.

Even Communists need sponsorship money, apparently

As for the gymnastics controversy, here is an article that echoes my feelings about why I dislike judged sports

I can't believe the FIG sent a letter a letter to Hamm telling him he should give up his gold. :lol: Seriously, what the fuck? For one thing, they were the ones that fucked up, not him. For another, the IOC already decided that they wouldn't share the gold and Hamm was the deserving winner. It's over with. And lastly, they ignored that the Korean should have been docked an addtional .2 points. I'm glad the US refused to pass the letter on to him. Here's a good on article on why Hamm deserves the gold. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olym....gym/index.html

About subjective sports, well there's an amount of subjectivity in every sport. I actually think the biggest bullshit wasn't in any of the gymnastic screw-ups but was in the hurdles. Where a woman got knocked down by another woman in one of the other lanes because she tripped over her hurdle and fell into her. Her appeal to race again got denied. Now that was wrong. Even if they didn't want to start the race over, they should have let run on her own and timed her. How can the winner of that race say that her win was unquestionably achieved? Or what about the Japanese swimmer that won the gold medal by doing an illegal dolphin kick that no judge called? Things like that happen all the time.

GG USA men's basketball team. Maybe we can win bronze...