TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest converge241

What are you listening to right now?

Guest Incandenza

"The Little House I Used to Live In"--Frank Zappa

Stop and think about how Frank Zappa was a musical visionary, though son Dweezil made hair metal.

Guest evenflowDDT

Wait, Inc... are you saying hair metal isn't visionary?!?! ;)

Oh yea, I'm listening to Talking Heads - "Burning Down the House". Don't have any Zappa... well, one MP3 of Zappa and Tom Waits at a live show together doing a poem/song called "The 12 Inches".

Guest Incandenza

I was originally going to insult the whole set of Zappa children--they're all worthy of derision--but my jealousy over Ahmet's getting to fuck Rose McGowan prevented me from doing so. It's the same reason why I never could say anything about Marilyn Manson as a person; sure, I could trash his music (and have done so, repeatedly), but I know any personal attacks would be due to envy. I try not to be that petty.

Anyway, I'm listening to "Pocket Calculator," by Kraftwerk. I'll leave it to someone else to quote that line from The Simpsons involving this band, but I will say this is an oddly ingratiating little song.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Frank Zappa owns.

Right now I'm listening to Pink Floyd's-A saucerful of secrets

Although now that Zappa's been mentioned, The Mothers of Invention's Help I'm a rock is on deck.

Guest Incandenza

"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"--Devo

They covered it better than Britney, that's for sure.

Guest evenflowDDT

2 Live Crew - "Banned in the U.S.A."

You know, I've never actually heard Devo's "reconstruction" (for from what I've heard, it's too different to call it a simple cover) of "Satisfaction", but better than Britney? That means about as much as me saying I accomplished something by breathing and thinking today. Erm, while I'm thinking, maybe I should think of some better metaphorical over-exaggerations for my examples...

Guest Incandenza

I'd call it a deconstruction, not a reconstruction. They stripped the original of all its sexual energy, and turned it into a jittery, spastic cry of desperation.

Guest Incandenza

Hey, I had that band's "Oh, Goddamnit" stuck in my head earlier. It was alternating mental space with Talking Heads' "Crosseyed and Painless," which I happen to be listening to now.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Prince's "Housequake." Shut up! Damn! Already!

Love me some Sign O' The Times.

Guest Kinetic

I've heard they're all right. There's a whole bunch of stuff that's gotten mild acclaim this year that I've neglected to pick up. Them and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Peaches and whatever other Electroclash or garage stuff Pitchfork is pimping this week.

EDIT: By which I mean Hot Hot Heat, which might not even be what I'm thinking of.

Guest treble charged

'Bandages' was really the only song of their's I had heard, as a radio station that I listen to a lot had been playing it lately, so I downloaded it. I just downloaded 'Oh, Goddamnit', and that's good, too. I've got to find some more of their stuff, too, I guess.

Guest evenflowDDT

Electroclash is such a strange genre. Some of it is really good, but I still have no desire to buy any of it. It seems the type of music that's tailor-made to download only. I really can't picture anyone ever buying electroclash; I mean I've never seen it in any chain stores or anything. And if I ever saw one buy any electroclash, it'd have to be some freakish 12" imported from England or something.

Oh, speaking of freakish 12"'s imported from Europe that I downloaded...

PPK - "Reload" (Trailer Trash mix)

I'm usually not into trance at all, but this is some good stuff, I think it's from Russia.

Guest Kinetic

From what I gather, it's mostly a singles-based genre with a lot of spotty albums left in its wake. I'll probably end up buying whatever electroclash Pitchfork puts on their best-of year end list. I only recently became aware of the genre and it deeply disturbed me that I wasn't aware of it earlier. I'm torn between being of "those types" who buys predominately old music in an attempt to be well-versed in pop history and being a hip young cat whose got all the latest tunes.

Guest Incandenza

I've only heard a couple of Hot Hot Heat's songs, and that's thanks to being employed at the radio station. Gah, I love working there.

Guest spiny norman

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

I really really really love this song. Actually, just out of curiosity, what do people here think of Jeff Buckley?

Guest Incandenza

I like him. He had a great voice, though he tended to rely a little too much on histrionics.

Guest treble charged

Swollen Members - Lady Venom just ended so now it's...

treble charger - Even Grable

Guest Incandenza

I'm heading off to bed momentarily, but first, I had to listen to Elvis Costello's "Beyond Belief." Here is a glorious song, but it is too damn short. After a wonderful, tension-filled build, the listener is finally treated to a payoff in the form of the fantastic chorus, but as soon as you get that wonderful release, the song fades out. There's no post-coital revelry, dammit! The song needs at least another verse-chorus section--or at least a guitar solo and chorus (as long as I can get another run through of that chorus, everything's dandy)--so that I can bask in the afterglow. Seriously, "Beyond Belief"'s sudden ending is akin to having great sex, only for the girl to pull off and leave as soon as YOU came. Even if it's just some meaningless one night stand, it's still nice to just lay there for a bit and enjoy what just transpired. And much like any sexual act I involve myself in, "Beyond Belief" is only 2.5 minutes long. I CRAVE MORE TIME!