TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 9/2-9/6

I've been dying for the first full Saturday of the season to completely veg out on college football. But I'm going to be at a family reunion that day and will miss most of the games. Oh well. A weekly thread should work out well.

Here is the national television schedule for this week. ABC regional games are marked with an asterisk.

THURSDAY

Texas A&M at #20 Utah, 7:45/4:45 PM, ESPN

Northwestern at TCU, 9:30/6:30 PM, ESPN2

FRIDAY

Washington State at New Mexico, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

SATURDAY

Miami of Ohio at #8 Michigan, Noon/9:00 AM, ABC*

Bowling Green at #2 Oklahoma, Noon/9:00 AM, ABC*

Central Florida at #21 Wisconsin, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

#16 Virgnia at Temple, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2 (or #13 California at Air Force)

Oklahoma State at UCLA, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Wake Forest at #15 Clemson, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Michigan State at Rutgers, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Oregon State at #4 LSU, 6:00/3:00 PM, ESPN

Tulane at Mississippi State, 6:00/3:00 PM, ESPN2

Colorado State at Colorado, 8:00/5:00 PM, FSN

Toledo at #25 Minnesota, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

Notre Dame at BYU, 9:15/6:15 PM, ESPN

SUNDAY

Syracuse at #24 Purdue, 1:30 PM/10:30 AM, ABC

Kentucky at Louisville, 3:30/12:30 PM, ESPN

Fresno State at Washington, 5:30/2:30 PM, FSN

UNLV at #14 Tennesse, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

MONDAY

Nevada at Louisiana Tech, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, ESPN2

Pittsburgh at South Florida, 4:30/1:30 PM, ESPN - POSTPONED

#5 Florida State at #6 Miami, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC - POSTPONED

I will be at the OU/Bowling Green game. I'm hoping for a complete blowout so that we can gain a couple first place votes seems how USC lost one after a bad performance. But....I'd also like to see a good game since Im going to be there.

I have a feeling that Tennessee/UNLV is going to be closer than people expect, since I think that UNLV will likely not be intimidated as much as people think they will be at Neyland since they went into Camp Randall last year and romped Wisconsin. Couple that with Tennessee having to break in new starters and an awesome UNLV secondary led by Jammal Brimmer, and this has the makings to be a close game. Tennessee will still win I think, but don't be suprised if it's only by 3.

Obviously UVA's debut against Temple is my #1 priority, but once that gets into rout territory, I'll be checking out Michigan to see how this year's team looks. Being the game of the week for the whole country, FSU/Miami is obviously the ACC game of the week, but I'm looking forward to Clemson/Wake as well. I think Clemson will pull it off, but Wake is not a bad team and could start Clemson on the path to be this year's Auburn.

I'm going to be on hand for LSU vs. Oregon State and the general consensus here is that LSU will win handily.

Everyone here respects Oregon State but LSU has a LOT of talent and the only sore spot on the roster right now is that Marcus Randall hasn't started a game in a year and a half. (Randall started half the games in 2002 after Matt Mauck broke his leg against Florida, then went back to mop-up QB once Mauck was healthy in 2003)

Because of Hurricane Frances the FSU/Miami game might be postponed to the following Saturday. I found this funny though in the AP article:

ABC executives and officials from both schools were discussing proposals Wednesday for rescheduling the game.

Yup, ABC is probably going to have the final say.

I think I'll be taping that LSU/Oregon St game. I still hate the Trojans but LSU earned my respect(even have an LSU poster) so I'm going to be watching them closely all season long.

In what should be an offensive shoot-out Toledo led by QB-Bruce Gradowksi visit the the two back attack of Marion Barber, and Laurence Maroney and the Golden Gophers.

"Associated Press

MIAMI -- Florida State, Miami and Atlantic Coast Conference officials have decided to postpone the Seminoles-Hurricanes game, originally scheduled for Monday, to Sept. 10 because of the immiment threat of Hurricane Frances.

The game, to be played in the Orange Bowl, was the only prime-time game on Labor Day. It will still be televised by ABC. Miami is No. 5 in the ESPN/USA Today coaches' poll and No. 6 in the AP poll. Florida State is ranked sixth and fifth, respectively.

Meanwhile, Florida's season opener Saturday against Middle Tennessee State was postponed because of Hurricane Frances.

Florida's game, which was to be played in Gainesville, will be rescheduled Oct. 16, athletic director Jeremy Foley said Thursday. The Gators are ranked 10th in ESPN/USA Today coaches' poll, 11th in AP's poll.

Miami has had two games postponed because of hurricanes in the last seven years.

The Hurricanes had a game against UCLA postponed more than two months in 1998 because of Hurricane Georges, and one against Temple was delayed nearly three months in 1999 because of Hurricane Irene.

In baseball, the Florida Marlins' game Friday against the Chicago Cubs has been postponed, with no makeup date set. The Marlins said no decision has been made on whether to call off Saturday's or Sunday's games.

In the NFL, the Miami Dolphins said Thursday they were still planning to travel to New Orleans for Friday's preseason finale with the Saints, but that could change. Players are concerned about leaving their families behind to deal with the storm. against the Cubs or when Friday's postponement will be made up.

Several other sporting events had already been postponed or canceled, including Thursday night's Jacksonville-Florida International football game and Saturday's Gateway Classic between Bethune-Cookman and Savannah State at Alltel Stadium in Jacksonville.

Hampton and Jackson State moved their season opener Saturday from Orlando's Citrus Bowl to Virginia.

Frances, which is packing winds of 145 mph, is expected to hit the state late Friday or early Saturday. On Thursday, as more than a million people were told to clear out, residents scrambled to board up homes and stock up on water ahead of what could be Florida's mightiest storm in a decade.

A hurricane warning covered much of the state's eastern coast, meaning wind of at least 74 mph was likely by midmorning Friday, three weeks after Hurricane Charley raked the state's western coast with 145 mph wind, causing billions of dollars in damage and killing 27 people.

With its winds also at 145 mph, Frances is as strong as the Category 4 Charley, and it's twice the size, with hurricane-force winds extending up to 80 miles from its center, said Stephen Baig, a forecaster at the National Hurricane Center in Miami. That means the path of destruction could be much wider. Frances was also about twice the size of 1992's Hurricane Andrew, the Category 5 storm that destroyed much of southern Miami-Dade County.

Traffic on Interstate 95, a main Atlantic coast highway, started to back up by lunchtime Thursday. Supermarkets were stripped of bottled water and canned goods, and long lines formed before dawn outside home supply stores in Palm Beach County, with dozens of people hoping for a chance to buy plywood or generators."

Texas A&M deserves it. Was'nt the score last year 65-7 or something?

I dunno. I just remember them getting blown out against OU 77-0.

I hate A&M more than any other team in the nation.

I used to hate A&M more than anyone else but, after seeing the past few years, I just pity them now.

They really didn't transition well from the Southwest Conference to the Big 12, as they're sliding to the point where they're the #4 team in Texas behind Texas, Texas Tech, and TCU.

Considering that Dennis Francione isn't showing any signs of bringing life back to the program, things don't look good for them.

As long as Alex Smith is upright, Utah has an excellent chance at going 11-0. The only game where they could be tripped up is at San Diego State, who have one of the best defenses in country.

Even if Utah goes undefeated they won't make it into the national title game will they?

Depends on the polls. Even if Utah is #1 across the board in the computer rankings, they'll still get penalized because 66% of the BCS rankings now come from the AP poll and the Coaches' poll, and those are ALWAYS biased against mid-major teams.

Utah has no shot at the national title game, undefeated or not. But they would have probably as good a shot as any non-BCS conference team has had at playing in a BCS bowl.

Boston College struggles to beat Ball State 19-11 tonight. Can they just give West Virginia the Big East title right now? They are just going to breeze through that conference.

Holy Shit, did anyone just see that TD by NorthWestern, that has to be the worst tackling ever by TCU. It was like a 7-8 yard route and the receiver make one move and just breezes by the rest of the defense for about 60 yards. Fun game.

A&M must hang there heads in shame for having such a shitty defense. Wrecking crew my ass. There's no way they slow down the top end of the Big XII. Oklahoma and Texas are going to kill them.

And who else is on Utah's schedule? Shouldn't they be able to blow through the Mountain West?

Marshall and Tulane didn't get invited to big bowls when they had undefeated regular seasons several years ago

Why break tradition now? </mildsarcasm>

Utah has a good chance of being MWC champ again this year, and even has an outside shot at the mythical mid-major unbeaten season. San Diego State is another strong contender, with what are apparently a really good set of linebackers and a strong secondary.

I think Utah will still win the conference, but probably miss out on the undefeated route by taking a conference loss against SD State or one of the perennial wild cards like Colorado State.

Probably because they are a great team playing in a weak conference. It'll be a complete shock if the don't get the Big East's BCS bid as there no other Top 25 calibar teams in that conference. They have the potential to go unbeaten in the regular season although they'll have to beat Virginia Tech in Blacksburg in what is now a non-conference match-up.

If anyone cares I guess ESPN has regional coverage this year because on ESPN2 we have Cal/Air Force on the west coast instead of Virginia/Temple.