TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

OaO Fable Thread

Guest Vitamin X
This morning, the Web was abuzz with reports that Fable had gone gold. The reports stemmed from the forums of the game's developer, Lionhead-owned Big Blue Box.

Besides several posts by studio employees that the gold announcement will go out at midnight UK time, the forums also featured a photo allegedly from the Big Blue Box testing center webcam showing a disc marked "Fable Gold!" This afternoon, sources close to the game's development confirmed to GameSpot that Fable has indeed reached gold status, and it will ship on September 14, as scheduled.

The news caps Fable's four-year-plus road to release. Initially announced back in May 2001 as Project Ego, the game has been one of the most talked about Xbox titles in the history of the platform. Like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Fable will let players choose whether to pursue a good or evil path through life, with their physical appearance changing along with their alignment. However, unlike KOTOR, the fantasy-themed Fable will have a much broader scope, literally following characters from the cradle to the grave. For more on Fable, check out GameSpot's extensive coverage of the game.

Well it's about damn time. This kinda caught me off guard.

Guest Smues

I didn't really know anything about Fable other then that I knew it was some game that had been hyped for years and hadn't come out yet. So I wasn't too interested in it, and then while I'm looking at X-box games at Gamestop in the mall two employees would just NOT fucking stop harassing me about pre-ordering it. They would just not leave me alone. So I quickly went from no/slight interest to complete disinterest.

Well, apparently it isn't the end-all-be-all of RPGs that I was hoping. It's getting good scores on reviews so far (8.6 at gamespot, 9.2 at IGN) but most have the same complaints, namely fairly short main quest (can get through it in 10 hours or so if you just go straight through), very hard to die, etc. etc. So, while it's seemingly very good, it isn't quite everything we'd (OK, I'd) hoped for. I'm still going to play it through a couple of times just so I can see it.

Oh well, Halo 2 November 9th! Plus Jade Empire and KOTOR 2 coming out..eventually.

My co-worker was super duper hyped about this, she read all the IGN previews and was imagining being able to have everyone want to look like her, and compete with other heros, and lots of other stuff they promised.

Now it seems they took it out.

Now she'll probably be somewhat dissapointed, I keep telling her if you want to be able to do ANYTHING, get MORROWIND! Whatever.

It's about time that Project Ego is released. ;)

I preordered this game, along with the new GTA game, a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to play Fable next week. If it's short that's fine, as I'll play through it a few times, do all that I can in it, then go back to Blockbuster and trade it in for Smackdown Vs. RAW.

I am loving the Blockbuster trade-in system! I got Fable and the new GTA without spending a dime.

Guest MikeSC
It's about time that Project Ego is released. ;)

I preordered this game, along with the new GTA game, a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to play Fable next week. If it's short that's fine, as I'll play through it a few times, do all that I can in it, then go back to Blockbuster and trade it in for Smackdown Vs. RAW.

I am loving the Blockbuster trade-in system! I got Fable and the new GTA without spending a dime.

Explain the whole Blockbuster trade-in system, please. I normally use EB --- but if Blockbuster is better, I can always change.

-=Mike

They run different offers all of the time. You can only do this at Blockbuster's with a GameRush, but they are popping up everywhere. I have about three near me, so I don't doubt that you have a few near you also.

Right now, the current special offers are as follows.

1) Trade any two games, preorder any game for $29.99. Note: This deal does NOT include limited editions such as the Mortal Kombat Kollector's thing or Halo LE. At least that's how it's supposed to be, though I sure some stores will probably let it slide.

2) Trade in any 3 PS2, XBox, GCN, PS1 or GBA games, get an extra $5 credit per game ($3 extra credit on the PS1 games only).

For the First one, yes, when you trade any two games in no matter the title, you can preorder any game for $29.99. The great deal however is that it doesn't stop there. Not only can you preorder any game for $29.99, but the trade in credit for te two games that you trade in will then be subtracted from the $29.99 total. This is a very easy way for you to preorder the new GTA game, or Smackdown Vs. RAW.

So if you trade in three games and they both happen to be worth $15 in trade credit each, you are in effect getting $60 in trade in credit. Since the pre-order would only be $29.99, you would have around $30 left over in trade.

If you can get your hands on that Space Channel 5 thing that is for the PS2, they'll give you $25 trade in credit for that. Yes, $25. You can go buy it new for $15 or used for $10 at other stores. I couldn't believe they gave me so much credit on that title.

NOTE:

Not all Blockbusters are doing the #2 offer right now, so it may vary at your store. All of them are going with #1 however as far as I know, which is a fucking great deal.

Downhome: I'm assuming you forgot to mention "non-sports," and I think by "any" games it means any out of the big 3 that are non-sports.

Of course, I don't have a Gamecrazy around here, so I wouldn't know.

I preordered Fable a few weeks back and (once RRR returns it) I plan on watching the bonus DVD that came with it over and over again. I'm not buying into the reports too much, just stoked as hell to finally play it.

I didn't get the bonus DVD when I preorderd, they told me they would give it to me with the game. What is on it exactly? Just a preview for the full game?

I didn't get the bonus DVD when I preorderd, they told me they would give it to me with the game. What is on it exactly? Just a preview for the full game?

Yes I'm suffing the same fate as you downhome and I work at a Gamecrazy. Anyways its basically like the Halo 2 bonus dvd, its behind the scenes stuff, storyboards, making, backround, etc..etc...

My store got the the Stredgy Guides the other day, I've flipped through it, haven't read much and there seems to be a lot of stuff in the game so I'm just waiting patently, besides I'm opening the day it comes out so I gotta sell them first and stare at mine during my free time before I get to go home and play it.

Guest TheArchiteck

Well I preordered the game and can't wait. I'm not big on RPGs, but this one caught my attention.

Guest TheArchiteck

Which one of you lucky bastards got the game?

I'll be picking it up tommorow.

Guest Fook

My friend got this today and I was watching him play it for a bit.

Looks interesting, but nothing I'd run out and spend my money on right now. I feel it's better to wait for the price to go down and for Halo 2 and KOTOR 2 to come out so I can compare.

This is a pretty huge Xbox release for me seeing how I could really care less about Halo 2 and KOTOR 2. Nothing against either game, but I dunno. I wasn't very big on Halo at all, and I didn't really enjoy the battle system in KOTOR.

Guest Vitamin X

I have to wait until I get the money I need for it, but once I do, Fable will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine...

Fucking half.com doesn't pay me until the 15th..

Well, I'm just not feeling this game right now. I've been playing it on and off for hours, but something about it just isn't clicking to me. It's not a bad game or anything though, it's actually quite good for the most part. I guess I'm just not in the mood to play it right now.

Zelda, this is not.

Ive played about 5 hours into it and there isnt anything thats really amazing about it. However I cant stop playing. This game was the reason I bought an X box almost 2 years ago. Not the greatest game ever as I thought it would be, but I am addicted to it.

I think anyone can enjoy this game and hopefully they should. I highly recommand this game for any Xbox player.

Guest Dids

I'm not feeling it much so far. I hate the save function, that won't let you save in the middle of a quest. Any game that means I have to mindlessly repeat the same stuff too many times I'll eventually tire on.

I can't, in good faith, reccomend this to all Xbox owners, even though I wanted to be able to before I had it. It's an ok game, but in my opinion it's one of the biggest letdowns ever.