TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Am I crazy here, or does anyone else see the Devil Rays contending for the Playoffs/World Series in 3-4 years. Scott Kazmir, Dewon Brazleton providing solid arms in the rotation, along with Baldelli, BJ Upton, and just wait until Delmon Young starts mashing big league pitching. Obviously, they would need a few more pieces, but I can see a pretty rock solid foundation.

Anyone else notice how Tampa Bay has silently stockpiled a contender in waiting?

Guest Anglesault

No.

They'll be the Expos. All sorts of great talent, but I don't know if enough of them will click at the same time before they have to be shipped off, lest the Devil Rays spend 30 mil.

Yeah, I've got to agree. They've got Brad Wilkerson, Terrmel Sledge, Juan Rivera, Chad Cordero, Brendan Harris, Zach Day...a whole nucleus of young talent, along with other veterans like Vidro and Livan Hernandez.

Kazmir will be great, no question, and they'll have a stacked OF for years to come, but there's still something missing. They're still missing one huge outrageous masher, like a Jim Thome or a Manny Ramirez, to intimidate; maybe Aubrey Huff will eventually become that, but I doubt it.

The Devil Rays will never get good enough because they'll have to trade their star players due to payroll constraints, is my guess. Baldelli, Huff, Crawford, they'll never last long enough to make anything happen in St. Petersburg. Maybe they'll pull off third place, but it'll be a distant third, because the Yankees and Red Sox will always have the top two spots.

Well, keep in mind, IMO the best player of the lot has yet to be called up to the major leagues. 2003 overall number one pick...Delmon Young. He's 18 years old and is probably going to be the major star of the Devil Rays franchise.

I hope it doesn't become another "farm team" like Montreal, because we don't need that.

Guest Anglesault
Well, keep in mind, IMO the best player of the lot has yet to be called up to the major leagues. 2003 overall number one pick...Delmon Young. He's 18 years old and is probably going to be the major star of the Devil Rays franchise.

But will that be before or after they get rid of Baldelli and Crawford and anyone else of value?

Guest Staravenger

Over the past few weeks I've stated that with some developement in their rotation and more tweaking for their stars like Crawford, Baldelli etc. etc., I think the Devil Rays could be possible Playoff contenders. That is, unless the owner becomes a dick and sells off anyone with talent.

With Tampa not willing to spend the money and Baltimore heading down the crapper once Washington gets settled, I think that the only team that could challenge the Yanks and Sox in the near future would be Toronto. They've also got a strong nucleus of young players, except unlike Montreal, Tampa and others, they have an owner with deep pockets in Ted Rogers. He can pony up the cash to keep theese players around.

No more Delgado couldn't hurt, either.

But will that be before or after they get rid of Baldelli and Crawford and anyone else of value?

I would have to say before. I wouldn't be suprised if he was a September call up in 2005, on the opening day roster in 2006. We're looking at a Pujols, A-Rod, Miguel Cabrera type of player...ready to contribute at a very young age.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

there's no question that the Rays will have some great players, but what team there on is definatly up in the air

Guest Anglesault

I would have to say before. I wouldn't be suprised if he was a September call up in 2005, on the opening day roster in 2006. We're looking at a Pujols, A-Rod, Miguel Cabrera type of player...ready to contribute at a very young age.

Will they all be together long enough to be a real team?