TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Cardinals/Dodgers NLDS Thread

How come we don't see that more often in baseball? Seems like the losing team always heads off into their clubhouse immediately

I know they always shake hands after a hockey series and most of the time after NFL games too... not sure about NBA, but baseball never seems to do it

NBA usually always does, yes. If not, a big deal is made of it (see the 1991 Eastern Conference Finals).

The whole thing about the Astros having a winning record vs. the Cards is meaningless. Hell most of those were late in the year when the Cardinals seemed to be intentionally tanking it to screw the Cubs.

Anyway, last I checked the Astros had their big home streak ended today and face a game 5 in Atlanta tomorrow. I don't really think the Astros could beat St. Louis in a playoff series, but I KNOW the Braves would get their asses kicked. Atlanta hasn't got the pitching they once did and their hitting is nowhere near good enough to compete with Pujols and Co.

I've also disliked the Astros for a long time. I think it's because they have dominated the Central on and off for a while now, but you flat out know they won't do shit so they're a big waste of time. Also, they're in a division where the Cubs and Cardinals draw most of the fan interest, since Houston (much like Atlanta) is a mediocre sports market.

Besides, them beating the Cardinals--a team that finished 13 GAMES ahead of them this year--is such a revolting idea that they should abolish the wildcard if it happens.

Gotta agree with everybody else about the ending that was cool. And it can be done after every series.

To the Cards, hopefully La Russa can get a rotation where Morris pitches at home and Suppan pitches on the road. Morris is that much of a different pitcher home v. road. And it sounded like after the game that Carpenter is done for the whole post-season. Damn.

Guest Anglesault
Gotta agree with everybody else about the ending that was cool. And it can be done after every series.

I wouldn't mind seeing it most of the time. It would have been nice at the end of Yankees/Twins.

But I don't want to see it in Yankees/Red Sox.

Guest Anglesault
Its not on ESPN.

It also took them 12 hours to find out about Rivera. I had to read a god damn Panamanian Newspaper.

Personally, after the initial shock, I've had my doubts as well, but ESPN isn't the top source for me right now.

Edited by Anglesault

Guest Sylvan Grenier
To be honest here, I'd rather have an Astros/Cardinals NLCS. The Braves are just...boring.

The Astros have the added benefit of having taken 10 of 18 from the Cardinals during the season.

But 3 or 4 of those were games that St. Louis intentionally threw to sabotage the Cubs.

Guest Anglesault
To be honest here, I'd rather have an Astros/Cardinals NLCS. The Braves are just...boring.

The Astros have the added benefit of having taken 10 of 18 from the Cardinals during the season.

But 3 or 4 of those were games that St. Louis intentionally threw to sabotage the Cubs.

I don't know if I'd go that far. They may have had no intention of winning games that meant nothing to them, but I don't think it was an evil plot.

Nobody threw any games. LaRussa didn't play the full lineup after they clinched. everyone would all sit one game (not the same one) per series. Plus Rolen went down with an injury. So rather than the one you're seeing now, it looked more like this on a day-to-day basis:

Womack 2B

Taguchi LF

Pujols 1B

Edmonds CF

Mabry 3B

Cedeno RF

Luna SS

Molina C

Just throw Renteria, Matheny, Walker, etc. in every other day and swap some people out and you had your watered-down Cardinals. Oh and don't forget the random bullpen starts for Carpenter and Morris.

Still a decent lineup but definitely candidates to get swept by the streaking Houston.

I distinctly recall a day with Pujols, Walker, and Womack all benched, plus a spot starter on the mound. I really think that the Cardinals knew we needed them to keep the Astros at bay and La Russa, knowing his team was in, flipped Chicago the double-redbird.

I'm probably the only Cardinals' fan posting here

Since there's nothing to brag about beating the Dodgers, keep it moving.

Hopefully the Braves beat the Astros cause I don't like the Clemens/Oswalt match up. The only pitcher on our staff that can match-up is Matt Morris (Unless Chris Carpenter comes back), but he's been inconsistent since Darryl Kile died.

Actually, I think either match-up would present an interesting NLCS for the Cardinals. The Braves and the Cardinals were both picked to finish third in their various division, both have managers that will make the games interesting (plus, you have the minor J.D. Drew/Jason Marquis trade undercurrent).

Meanwhile the Astros were left for dead and have come back with a lot of veterans (Bagwell, Biggio) who are desperately looking for one real shot at the World Series.

Both make tough matchups for St. Louis, with Houston providing slightly more difficulty than Atlanta, I think.

I distinctly recall a day with Pujols, Walker, and Womack all benched, plus a spot starter on the mound. I really think that the Cardinals knew we needed them to keep the Astros at bay and La Russa, knowing his team was in, flipped Chicago the double-redbird.

Even if that ridiculous theory is true, all the Cubs had to do was not blow their games in the late innings.

I'm probably the only Cardinals' fan posting here

Nah. :)