3. Todd Walker

4. Tony Womack

5. Miguel Cairo

6. Mark Grudzielanek

7. Damion Easley

8. Eric Young

9. Roberto Alomar

10. Pokey Reese

Jeff Kent might be a few seasons away from the Hall of Fame. If he can reach 375-400 home runs, he will have an excellent argument. In any case, Kent is still an excellent hitter, and above average defensive second baseman. I would not be surprised to see the Cubs show interest here.

Placido Polanco is a good contact hitter and an excellent defender. With the rise of Chase Utley, the Phillies bid him a fond farewell into the free agent market. The Yankees would be an excellent opportunity here.

Todd Walker is usually good for a .270-.290 average, and 15-20 home runs. He is also a better defender than viewers give him credit for.

Tony Womack saved his career with an excellent campaign in St. Louis. At 34, Womack posted a career best batting average without an improvement in his walk rate. That spells trouble. Womack will doubtless regress next season. Still, he can make a handy backup, his defense at second is good, and he is a truly excellent percentage basestealer (83%).

Miguel Cairo also enjoyed a career best year in New York. Like Womack, he produced without improving his walk rate. He's a below average defender, and is better served as a backup at this stage in his career.

Guest Rrrsh

Ciaro is #2 on my list. I see mcuh more upside to him then the rest. And Reese's D makes him higher in my books.

Cairo turns 31 next season. It is rare for a position player to experience a sustained boost so late in his development. Reese is a fine defensive player, but his OBP is abysmal, and its hard to give him much favor when Deivi Cruz and Rey Sanchez are also available.

If the New York Yankees are not going to resign Miguel Cairo. Who is the best bet at second base, jeff kent?.

For 900,000 he was a bargin, and i'm sure they could get him for no more then 1 million a year.

Edit: Pokey is easily 7 as Robbie and Damion Easley are on the decline.

If i'm the yankees i would go with a Todd Walker & Miguel Cairo platoon. Why go out and give jeff kent 6 or 7 million a year.