TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Evaluating Free Agent Outfielders

Talk about wanting to get in the ground floor. After Drew and Beltran, the market thins considerably.

1. Carlos Beltran

2. J.D. Drew

3. Magglio Ordonez

4. Moises Alou

5. Steve Finley

6. Jeromy Burnitz

7. Jermaine Dye

8. David Dellucci

9. Danny Bautista

10. Juan Gonzalez

Carlos Beltran is an absolute stud. He is the greatest percentage base stealer of all time, a great defensive outfielder, and a great hitter. He turns 28 next season, so he has many years left.

J.D. Drew avoided the injury bug at the right time. Drew holds a 133 OPS+, an excellent mark. He can absolutely crush the ball. A real sleeper free agent.

Magglio Ordonez is an injury risk. No one seems to know what his knee holds for the future. Assuming it holds up, he'll be an excellent pickup. A perennial 315/380/500 type hitter.

Moises Alou earned a foul reputation from his days in Chicago. But he did club 39 home runs. He is unlikely to repeat his performance, and he could carry alot of baggage. I would expect performance similar to his 22 home run season in 2003.

Steve Finley holds a strong defensive reputation, but it is slipping, and his OBP took a hit last season. He turns 40 before next season, so buyer beware.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

why do people expect the Yanks to pass on Beltran because thier pitching blows?

Guest Anglesault
Can Beltran pitch?

Cause if the Yankees ignore pitching again and go for another bat...

We need a center fielder.

I think its worth noting that the Portland Trailblazers drafted Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan because they needed a center. Beltran is clearly the best player in this market. Sometimes when you persue subpar players to fill a position, it bites you.

Guest Anglesault
Since six months puts Berkman out until April...

nobody.

If, (god forbid) the injury stretches out a little longer, I'm sure they have someone on the team right now that can play for three weeks.

After Beltran and Drew I don't like any of these guys, and I need to see more than one healthy, productive season to be completely sold on Drew. Magglio, when healthy, is good, but the reports on his knee didn't sound good. You never like to see the word "atrophied" when talking about an athlete.

Guest Anglesault
Jason Lane is the obvious fill-in for the Astros.

Would the team collapse if he had to play a couple weeks?