TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

Bright Eyes singles debut at #1....and #2

It's commonly accepted that the first stage in the grieving process is denial, a fact that many of us in the great blue state of Illinois were coldly reminded of last Tuesday evening, and again last night when it was revealed that Bright Eyes' two new singles-- "Lua" and "Take It Easy (Love Nothing)", which preview material from his two forthcoming full-lengths, due in January-- had taken the #1 and #2 spots on Billboard's singles chart. Truth told, we still aren't ready to accept it. In fact, we're hesitant to even report it, except we know it's true. When next week's charts are revealed on Saturday, Bright Eyes will sit proudly at the top. Surely, this is the news that sent Arafat over the edge.

You must be wondering, like we were, how it's possible that this Nebraska weasel knocked Usher and Alicia Keys' cheeseball duet "My Boo" from the top position. Doesn't the chart take sales and airplay into account? Well, yes, the Billboard Hot 100 does. But not the much more specific Billboard Hot 100 Singles Sales chart, where he's officially beaten them to a diva-y pulp. Still, that's fucking crazy, especially for an indie artist.

More impressive still is that Bright Eyes has made Billboard history with this showing: It marks the first time that one artist dominates both the #1 and #2 positions on the chart since Puff Daddy reigned supreme in August 1997 with "I'll Be Missing You" and "Mo Money Mo Problems"-- and even that was questionable, as the latter cut was really a Notorious B.I.G. cut that simply featured Puffy.

"We are thrilled by the response to these singles and have high hopes for the full-lengths," Saddle Creek spokesperson Robb Nansel told NME. "This certainly shows great promise." Yeah-- for a world smeared in shit and horsegore. Am I right, people? - pitchfork.com

How bizarre. I've never heard a Bright Eyes song on the radio.