TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rob E Dangerously

Actual interesting stuff happening on CSPAN2

Senator Kent Conrad (D-ND) noticed that there was a provision in a treasury bill that would allow for members of congress and their staffs to check individual income tax returns.

It appears that not only are Democrats pissed. John McCain is pissed. And the Republicans blame it on a staffer.

Senators are mad. CSPAN is a bit less boring.

(apologies if the summary is a bit off)

I'd have to find the language of this provision and considering the fact that there's like 400 pages or so on this.. it'll be hard.

Just more proof that Congress is made up of those who can't figure out what they're passing and those who know what's being passed, because they're for it.

Until I find the exact provision, here's a Robert Byrd pic to satisfy you

byrd.jpg

Byrd is speaking about against the process of putting out huge bills and voting on them within 24 hours

Is he planning on going straight to a strip club after the session is over or something?

Guest Cerebus

Translation from Legislatorese (which I'm fluent in):

Congress, specifically the chairman of either the House or Senate Appropriations Committee, can open up your tax records. Wow.

Guest MikeSC

Have you seen the length of the bills? I can guarantee you that they don't read squat.

-=Mike

Congress could "create" some more jobs by getting people to at least go though the bills to check for this sort of crap.

Is there any sort of rule about legislation in apprioriations bills? I think there could be one

Guest MikeSC
Yeah, no kidding...

But that doesn't mean they shouldn't.

Oh, I agree they shouldn't. But I know they don't.

I say if a bill can't fit on one page, it should be opposed.

-=Mike

I hold the philosophy of 'if it's over 100 pages, you shouldn't hold a vote on it within 24 hours of it's printing'

This passed the house at 4:04 EST by a 344-51 margin.

Stuff like this doesn't just magically appear from a staffer. I might be overlooking some staffer's desire to allow the house to access our tax returns and all..

Guest Cerebus

Don't forget, it blows being a Congressman. Most people don't know this, but Congressmen work their assess off, 10-12 hours day, often times working on weekends, many times very far away from their families for a LOT less than what they'd be making in the private sector (though more than many of us will make). Why do you think the amount of staff has exploded in the last 50 years? This is more of a reason that staffers, the GAO, and the CRS should give their summaries a more thorough look.