TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest crusen86

Perhaps it's time for some new commentators...

Guest crusen86

Muzz and myself were talking, and kinda thought that the commentators could use a change. It's been Curry and NTD, with NTD being pantless for too long.

How about Grand Slam doing some play by play commentary?

Or perhaps Mr. Galatea being a colourful announcer?

Eh, just thoughts.

Guest Beingz0wningj00

MrG as heel/colour = (Y)

GSMS doesn't seem to good... A respect thing I guess... I would suggest someone like... hell... even Crowe could be a good one.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

I like Mr. G as a commentator.  Crowe'd be funny too.  I think Grand Slam actually rather would stay out of fed stuff IC, judging by what I've talked to him about.  He wants Stevens to be genuinely retired.

Don't forget the beautiful team of Exploding Chicken and Bobby Riley, which worked well for the JL for quite a while, or the dynamic Axis/Comet squad, which kicked some booty in the ML.  Who are some other greats that'd work well?  Maybe Rane?  

Personally, my vote would be with Axis/Comet, because that team was incredibly fun to write and very versatile.  No heel, though.  We could move to a three-commentator team like we have in the JL...in any case, I do agree that a change might be good.  Give us a little variety.  Though it would be hard to see Curry and NTD ride off into the sunset.

Guest Zero_Cool

Finally...someone else realizes that the pants jokes are getting old.  For heel/color, I would like to see the return of The Exploding Chicken.  For play by play, I'd like to go with....Joey Styles.  lol  just kidding.  Uhm, Curry doesn't really bother me and he's decent.

Guest Zero_Cool

The one problem with changing to EC, or Comet, is that a lot of the new guys up here may struggle writing them.  Stryke, Taylor, Red etc. may have never seen a single ML show, or pre merger JL show.  Then again, those writers are hosses.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

AWWW GOSH!  KATIE BAR THE DOOR, IT'S A BUNCHA HOSSES IN THIS NEW BREED!

And actually, yeah.  There's no harm in Curry, since he's the absolute straight man, and an effective face play-by-play.  Now that I think about it I'm going to put my vote in for a heel Exploding Chicken.  Kluk-kluk-KABOOM!

And if we must replace Curry, maybe Mayor McCheese.  He was the shiznit.

Guest crusen86

Grand Slam was just a toss up, as I could think of no one else recently retired to fit the PBP role. Eh.

Guest redbaron51

Neilson and Exploding Chicken.

The wonders of those two.

Guest BA_Baracus

PROMO (Stubby P. McWeed);

"I agree.

I've just been to lazy to do anything about it.

I'm thinking maybe we'll have a few different commentators and we'll rotate them regularly and come up with different pairings.

Mothernature says, sounds good..."

Guest Grand Slam

I think Grand Slam would be interesting for PBP.  I could see him joining the commentary team in a week or two.  In Character, he has to make two shows a week.  He could basically live at home the other five, so I could see him doing the commentator's job.

The biggest problem I see with Axis / Comet is that Comet would be nearly impossible for new people to write, and I think it would be hard for us old timers to read something that seems like Comet but isn't.  Besides, it doesn't seem right to use him if his player isn't around to give permission.

Guest Longdogger_Pete

If Stubby's bringing in some new commentators, perhaps they shouldn't be rotated around, as that would probably just confuse people.  Maybe we could have one set for Storm and one for Smarkdown... say, Curry and EC on one show, Grand Slam and Bobby Riley on another... or something like that.  I personally don't like the three-man commentary team, as that just clutters up the matches with excessive commentary.

But anyway.  Those are my thoughts.

Guest HVilleThugg

I agree with LDP.  I don't like the 3-man teams either.  I already have a hard enough time writing commentary and trying to stay under the limit with 2 people.  THree would just be excessive commentary and would take away from the quality of the matches.

Da "gives his opinion" H

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Yeah, sure, pick on us damn JL runner-people for our 3-man team!  Just cause we give the people what they want...yeah, well.  JLers wanted a bonus commentator, and so be it.  Worse comes to worse we'll have Edwin start doing stuff in pantomime so he doesn't have to talk...

...but I do like new commentators.  Yeeeees.  Those Curry/EC and GSMS/Riley combos are alluring.  Heck, it's all gravy!

Mmm...gravy...I need lunch...

Guest Suicide King

The Wfers want what the JLers wanted, dammit!!  SUICIDE KING FOR WF ANNOUNCING!!!

Guest redbaron51

Comet is a good choice, but his style and his uniqueness should never be touched. I mean you never knew what he was going to say, and when he did say it, it was damn funny. If we try to duplicate us, we will probably ruin his character.

Guest realitycheck

Note to King: Fuggetaboutit, man. You're doomed to the JL hellhole, and an eterity of poor characterization and Tom and I Edwin taking cheapshots at you. Mua' Hahahahaha!

-ahem-

Anyway, as we're throwing out retirees, how about Chris Storm? (Yes, I'm aware he just fell off of the earth, but still...)Or maybe Divefire? Erm, if he's not dead, or supposed to be dead, or faking he's dead, or whatever. Maybe even Mercury?

The idea of two different teams for each show makes sense. Although, instead of Mark/Riley, how about Rane/Riley? It wouldn't make sense from a storyline perspective for Mark to come back so soon, anyway.

Just some opnions from the peanut gallery.

-Z

"You know, I said that this wouldn't be like one of those wrestling retirements, where I come back in six weeks. And I was right. I came back... in TWO!"

Guest chirs3

Comet! I only read the first three replies, I'll read the rest of the thread later, but I vote for Comet! Comet!

Edit: Having read the rest of the thread, I still vote for Comet, but I'm open to other suggestions. McCheese sounds like a good idea.

I think a three man team would work, but only if the two colors were waaaaaaaaaaay on the opposite sides of the face/heel scale. Like Comet and Neilsen.

Guest Muzz

Please do not use Exploding Chicken. It would be like this every line...

Curry: "Great Move!"

EC: "KLUK KLUK KLUK KABOOM!"

Curry: "Can't you saying anything  intelligent or meaningful?"

EC: "... KLUK KLUK KLUK KABOOM!"

Guest Zero_Cool

.....and there's a problem with that?? ;)

Curry & EC, the dream team....wait a minute, I wrote EC for like two months, and I never realized what the guy looked like, I just wrote him.  He's almost like Lawler, only funny and witty...plus the "Kluk-KluK-Kaboom!" catchphrase is just classic.  

It helped me build spots in my match better by making me look for a pay-off for him to say it.

Guest Ash Ketchum
I think a three man team would work, but only if the two colors were waaaaaaaaaaay on the opposite sides of the face/heel scale. Like Comet and Neilsen.

Or King and Edwin

Guest BA_Baracus

PROMO (Stubby P. McWeed);

"Okay...here's who I was thinking about for our stable of announcers.

Mark Stevens - Face.  Play by play guy with a bit more insight into how matches are worked than most announcers.  Tosses in little things for the smart fans here and there.  Real life example - Tazz/Raven.

Curry Man - Face.  Play by play guy, but not overly knowledgeable.  A shilling machine, with not much of a sense of humor.  Real life example - Jim Ross.

Ben Hardy - Face.  Incompetant play by play guy who can't call anything right.  Oversells angles to the point of being obnoxious.  Real life example - Micheal Cole.

NTD - Heel.  Basically a perverted comedy act that almost never pays attention to what's happening in the ring and spends all his time babbling on about some inane thing or another.  Real life example - Jerry Lawler.

Bobby Riley - Heel.  A serious commentator who knows his stuff and often includes insider references and is extremely abrasive.  Real life example - Paul Heyman.

What do you think?  Each show would be announced by a team of 2 guys and for at least the next little while I'd come up with various random pairings.  If you don't like any of the names on there and think they should be changed...say something.

Mothernature says, hey yo..."

Guest 5_moves_of_doom

3 words: Ted Flink

Wait, is that 3? 1.....2......ok, so it was two words, sue me.

Guest 5_moves_of_doom
Maybe we could have one set for Storm and one for Smarkdown.

Actually, I think that would be both a good idea for the SWF AND the SJL. For the SJL, we could split it up into two two-man teams, or one 3-man, one 2-man. But as Thugg mentioned, it's fricken hard to write a match with three commentators.

Maybe have Eddie Mac be still wacky, but a little more PBP. So that he and Suicide could commentate on one show. King and Edwin HAVE to be together simply because of the priceless chemistry. Fot the other JL show.....Axis and Ted Flink of course!

Just a drunken-up-in-the-morning-at-1a.m.-thought here, but it might be entertaining to have Scott Keith do commentary, wait, no, stupid idea; that would just lead to several "OH, TAG!" jokes.

Guest El Luchadore Magnifico

Hell, I'd love to write a Mark Stevens/Bobby Riley commentary. Maybe random pairings until we find the right combo would be the best choice.

Guest redbaron51

I have a better time writing a three man commentary that two man