TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

ESPN's Top 10 games of 2004

Game 6 wasn't all that great, (and it wasn't a goal), though if I had to pick a game from that year's playoffs it would have been game 6 between Calgary vs Vancouver (triple OT!!!)

:headbang:

Game 6 wasn't all that great,

It was good, but top 10 in all of sports this year? Come on.

(and it wasn't a goal)

You're right, It wasn't. And even if it was, Calgary wasn't screwed out of the Cup. It was a seven game series. Nuff said.

game 6 between Calgary vs Vancouver (triple OT!!!)

That or Game 7. Working two early shifts( 6 AM!) the days following game 7 meant I got about 5 comibned hours of sleep that weekend. I'd do it again though, because, save a few games from the 93 and 94 playoffs, best hockey I've seen since the 87 Canada Cup.

And the greatest game of the year, RedBaron? My dominant performance tomorrow at 90's Trivial Pursuit(It's a Canadian game)

I agree with the Czech ... ESPN's apathy about hockey is not based on geography or national pride. They don't care about hockey regardless of who wins or loses, they care more if there's a story or hook to it. So, the fact that a CDN team won it all for the first time in over a decade would have been bigger news, and thus gotten more attention (from Melrose, Buccigross, and Chicken Parm, even if no one else cared).

And I'm stunned that you both admit that it wasn't a goal. I thought that everyone in Canada had taken a pledge to say "it was a goal" to the end of time.

Being a Lightning fan I am definitely biased here but heres why I say that Game 6 trumps the Calgary Vancouver Game 6. The Lightning were IN CALGARY down 3-2 in the finals with most of Canada rooting against them and found a way to win in Triple OT. On top of that it was an extremely well played game with a little controversy thrown in. On the other hand, anyone who followed the Canucks just knew that they were gonna find a way to make it interesting, a 4-0 lead after 2 periods was too good to be true. Plus, I found that game to be fairly sloppy on both ends. Don't get me wrong it was really dramatic and very fun to watch but I think a Game 6 of a Cup Final definitely trumps a first round dramatic but sloppy game.

OK St. and St. Joes was good but I'm always hesitant to put a game that is 64-62 as a top 10 game of the year. Such a low score reflects poorly on the shooting at some point.

I'm biased but the game of the year in college basketball was Arizona at Stanford in February. Well played, competitive game from start to finish with the best ending of the year. Hate to scream WEST COAST BIAS~ but if that exact same game with the exact same finish happens with Duke involved, no doubt it makes the list.