TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

A New College Hoops Thread.....

God dammit! Nobody counts GT as a national title contender except you! Will you just drop them? They aren't going to make it anywhere in the tourney!

Guest Ether
Ether we actually agree here, just read what I said again...I said Pitt wasn't a good matchup at all for BC, meaning that Pitt would trash em.

Oops. You're right. My bad.

Anyone care to ponder why the RPI has the Pac 10 listed as the 2nd best conf.? I mean aside from Wash and Zona the conf. doesn't really have anybody. UCLA is perhaps going to get in due to simply being UCLA...Stanford is really down this year, etc.

Oh by the way, ouf of CUSA I think Charlotte could perhaps make some noise in the tourney given the right bracket. They come to Freedom Hall on Thursday and the CUSA title is on the line. U of L absolutely HAS to win that game, we cannot lose that game. Not with the conf. title on the line on Senior Night...god that would be humiliating.

I'm going to the Big West tournament championship game, Pacific better make it to the final.

Guest Ether

For what it's worth, between what most people view as the three best conferences - Big 12, Big East, ACC - here are the record breakdowns against each other:

Big East v. ACC : Big East 6, ACC 3

Big East v. Big 12 : Big East 2, Big 12 3

Big 12 v. ACC: Big 12 1, ACC 2

Eh those stats are dubious because it depends on who plays who really.

By the way anyone see IU absolutely get fucked tonight at Wisconsin? Those refs had to be bought and paid for. I mean Jesus, IU simply got nothing that whole game foul wise, while any time Mike Wilkinson touched the ball it seemed like he got FTs.

Not to mention the fact that it all depends on when those schools play each other.

I personally think that if OU had played Duke when OU was on it's hot streak before the 4 of 5 losing streak then they would've beaten Duke.

But at that time that they played OU had not found it's niche. And Duke was clearly a better team and that's why they pulled away in the 2nd half.

Now that Duke is hot and OU is again I think it becomes a toss up.

It's such a long season it all depends on when you play and who's hot and who's not.

Wow....the bracketologist has OU as a 3 seed in this tourney.

Just to think if OU hadn't lost to Tech at home or hadn't had that shitty loss at Mizzou they'd be firmly in the drivers seat of the Big XII right now. Bastards.

If anyone's interested enough to turn on ESPN, Georgia Tech's up 4 at Wake with 12 minutes left in a possible Final Four prev.........

Nah, just kidding, we all know Wake won't make the Final Four.

UCONN is just on fire right now. Five wins in a row, with Villinoavia looking awesome, Gay on fire, and Marcus Williams passing the ball like Jogn Stockton.

Huge game against Cuse on Sat.

If anyone's interested enough to turn on ESPN, Georgia Tech's up 4 at Wake with 12 minutes left in a possible Final Four prev.........

Nah, just kidding, we all know Wake won't make the Final Four.

Yeah right. Wake has a 100x better chance than GT of making the Final Four.

Oh yeah. And this bracketology says OU will get a 3 seed. I mentioned that earlier but I was wondering how likely that is if they beat Tech?

It looks to be between them and Michigan State at this point. It'll depend on the conference tournaments...if MSU can somehow upset Illinois, that should earn them a 3 seed no matter what. If they get to the final, OU would probably have to make the semis to hang onto that spot.

Oh yeah. And this bracketology says OU will get a 3 seed. I mentioned that earlier but I was wondering how likely that is if they beat Tech?

It looks to be between them and Michigan State at this point. It'll depend on the conference tournaments...if MSU can somehow upset Illinois, that should earn them a 3 seed no matter what. If they get to the final, OU would probably have to make the semis to hang onto that spot.

Interesting. I would think they could beat MSU.

Well they get a bye in the first round of the Big XII tourney. So they're probably going up against a team they beat this year since I think they've beaten all of the heavy hitters in the Big XII at least once.

I dunno if they can win the tourney though. That might be KU or OSU's deal. If they try in the tourney. Who knows they may not want to get injured or exert to much energy so they could make a run in the NCAA tourney and that would probably give it to OU.

Or one of these dangerous schools like ISU that's on the bubble.

BUT the NCAA selects before the Big XII plays the final game of the tourney.

So if they select before the Big XII final what if a team that wasn't in previously like ISU wins the tourney? Do they hold out a spot or what?

Tonight's biggie here is U of L vs. Charlotte. This is an absolute, 100% MUST WIN for U of L. Do you realize we've never won CUSA in the reg. season EVER? It is also senior night so we cannot lose this game, it would just be so horrible if we lost. Plane crashing into the mountain level bad.

I semi agree with Iggy on Wake. Wake simply does not play defense, I mean hell last night they gave up 91 to Ga Tech. When I watch them it's like watching the friggin Pac 10 or something. I'm not saying they have to start hacking and gooning, but guys, a little physicality would be nice.

Interesting. I would think they could beat MSU.

Well they get a bye in the first round of the Big XII tourney. So they're probably going up against a team they beat this year since I think they've beaten all of the heavy hitters in the Big XII at least once.

I dunno if they can win the tourney though. That might be KU or OSU's deal. If they try in the tourney. Who knows they may not want to get injured or exert to much energy so they could make a run in the NCAA tourney and that would probably give it to OU.

Or one of these dangerous schools like ISU that's on the bubble.

BUT the NCAA selects before the Big XII plays the final game of the tourney.

So if they select before the Big XII final what if a team that wasn't in previously like ISU wins the tourney? Do they hold out a spot or what?

What time is the selection show supposed to start? The Big 12 championship game is scheduled for 3pm (according to espn.com). If they are going to be selecting people beforn then it's up to the Big 12 to have their game before 3, starting at noon shouldn't be a big deal really...

As far as an OU/MSU game, I would bet against my Spartans in that one...

The selection show is around 7PM.

I'll set up one of those "fill-a-bracket" things on Yahoo for bragging rights, I guess.

The committee will usually have contingencies in place to account for unexpected results in major conference tournaments. They would still have an hour before the brackets are released to tweak them, should the outcome of the Big XII championship game have any impact on the brackets.

Usually, though, the committee knows who's going where going into Sunday's games, unless a team that's not on the bubble makes a tournament final and they have to radically readjust (say, if Nebraska were to win the Big XII).

When they get down to where there's just one championship game left, they make up the bracket both ways, what they'll do if one team wins, and what they'll do if the other team wins, so they have it all ready to give to CBS as soon as the game's over. However, if one team makes a big "statement" maybe winning by 30 or something, they don't really get any extra credit because the committee's already decided what they're doing.

Yeah boy, U of L took out Charlotte tonight 94-82. Larry O'Bannon went out in style with 33 fo us tonight and Dean had 27 as well. Man I will say that Plavich dude for Charlotte is just a madman...not since the days of Al Dillard at Arkansas has anyone shot from 40 ft. seemingly on a regular basis. Heh. Charlotte is a good team, they brought it tonight but we were on fire.

DAMN IT TO HELL!!!

My school Cal State Fullerton almost ended No. 17 Pacific's 19 game winning streak but came up just short. Down 2 they went for the win and missed a three with 20 seconds to play. Final score 92-88.

Hopefully we will get another shot at them in the Big West Tournament.

Just mad that I wasted all the money I had in my pocket today to buy more books before I realized that Fullerton was playing Pacific tonight.

Angle, didn't Cal St. Fullerton give UNLV headaches back in the old days of the Big West? Seems like whenever UNLV would job to someone it'd be to Fullerton, Long Beach, or maybe Cal Santa Barbara, heh.

No shame in losing to Pacific though, they are good this year.

Disclaimer: The following is somewhat of a long, rambling mess. I am not responsible if you decide to read the whole thing, and then are sorry you wasted ten minutes of your life.

Anyway, I had a vision about the tournament while I was in the shower today.

The 1 seeds will be Illinois, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Oklahoma State. Wake's going to lose their chance when they lose to NC State in the ACC quarters or Duke in the ACC semis (have a feeling it's going to be NC State). Since they seed the ones, Illinois (1) will be across from Oklahoma State (4) while Carolina (2) will be across from Kentucky (3).

Boston College, after making it to the finals of the ACC tournament will either shame the committee into getting the worst 2 seed, or will get the best 3 seed. Either way, they'll be across from Louisville in Illinois's bracket. Meanwhile, the other 2 seeds will be Duke, Wake Forest, and Kansas. Since the ACC teams can't be in Carolina's bracket, Kansas will be the two seed there, and since the committee doesn't seem to follow the rankings all that much, I say they give Duke the preferential 2 seed in OK State's bracket, while Wake will be in with Kentucky.

Meanwhile, Georgia Tech is going to win the ACC tournament. (They'll beat Maryland in the 4/5 game, knock off a UNC team that will totally be overlooking them, and beat a Duke team in the final that's too thin to win three games in three nights.) As such, they'll get a 4 seed outside of Carolina's bracket, and probably not in either the best or worst bracket either. As such, they'll be in Kentucky's bracket. Gonzaga's another middling 4 seed, and they'll be placed in Carolina's bracket.

Now, there's two things we all know. Kentucky is absolutely ripe for an upset, and Gonzaga has to beat a high seed at some point in the tourney. The Zags have stepped it up in big neutral court games this year with wins over Oklahoma State and Georgia Tech, while Kentucky's coasted through a season in the most overrated conference in the country. As such, Gonzaga will get way up, shoot lights out, and play their best game of the season in a 2 point win over Carolina. Meanwhile, GT will return to their old form against an overrated Kentucky team, and beat the Wildcats by four.

Kansas and Wake are both teams that could easily slip to the three seeds in their respective brackets, but even if they don't they won't make it to the Final Four. Over the course of the season, Kansas showed themselves to be slightly inferior to Oklahoma State, and only beat GT at home in OT because BJ Elder got hurt. Meanwhile, Gonzaga beat a healthy GT team on a neutral court and beat Oklahoma State on the road. Ramped up as they will be, Gonzaga would definitely beat Kansas in an Elite Eight game should it come to that.

Meanwhile, Georgia Tech beat Wake when BJ Elder was out of the lineup, and should be able to do it at a neutral site if he's healthy. He was still a little tentative when they played at Wake, and GT almost pulled out the game anyway.

However, out of Georgia Tech and Gonzaga, only one team's guaranteed a spot in the Final Four. That's because, it's impossible to tell at this point where Pittsburgh will be seeded. If they get in one of the upper brackets, they'll be methodically beaten by either Illinois or Duke. However, their slowdown style presents enormous matchup problems for both Georgia Tech and Gonzaga. If they get in either one of those bottom brackets, they'll probably go to the Final Four. Just for the heck of it, I'll say that after losing to Notre Dame this weekend, and then Boston College in the Big East semis, Pittsburgh gets a 6 seed in the Carolina/Gonzaga/Kansas bracket, where they proceed to beat the 3 seed, outplay Kansas, and frustrate Gonzaga en route to the Final Four.

The other brackets will be a little less interesting as Boston College will get a rather easy draw to the Elite Eight where they'll get mowed down by Illinois, and Duke will end up knocking off Oklahoma State in an epic clash of 1 and 2 seeds.

This leaves our Final Four as Illinois, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Pittsburgh. Much like last year, with the Duke/UConn game, the Illinois/Duke game will be considered the de facto national championship. It will be a physical game, but the Illini won't even need to make Williams foul out this time, because they basically have JJ Reddick x3 in their backcourt, and should grind out a nine or ten point victory.

Meanwhile, Pittsburgh's slowdown style will work well against Georgia Tech, even though they have a propensity to pull out low-scoring games in the tournament. Since I already said that Pittsburgh's style should be able to beat GT, let's say that Jarrett Jack hits a layup to take the lead with 0.8 seconds left, but then Antonio Graves hits a miracle three from halfcourt to send the Panthers to the championship game.

In that game, Illinois will expose every one of Pittsburgh's weaknesses and finish the blowout that UConn quit on halfway through against GT last year.

Final score:

Illinois 82

Pittsburgh 50

Addendum: The 3 seed that beats Wake and loses to GT will probably be UConn in some sweet revenge, while I'm guessing that the 3 seed that gets beaten by Pittsburgh will be Washington. Arizona will be the last 3 seed and they'll be lucky to make it to the second round.

That was the most insane shit I've ever heard. Ga Tech is going NOWHERE dude, get that through your head. They won't do shit in the ACC tourney. They won't do shit in the NCAA tourney. They most certainly won't win the ACC tourney over UNC, Wake, or Duke. The only non big 3 team there who could put it together is Maryland, they have the chops at their best to bust it out.

Also the SEC isn't overrated at all...nobody thinks it is worth a shit. Heh.

I have no idea if Illinois and Pitt would play but it wouldn't be a FF game, maybe Sweet 16 in a 1/4 or 5 matchup. I do know Illinois will NOT win by 30 against them. Look, the Illini have kinda struggled against IU and Michigan who have slowed them down and grinded it. Bear in mind those teams both suck dick. Pitt is the ne plus ultra of grinding, physical half court play...they would give Illinois a fit. Illinois might win but it'd be by less than 10.

Anyway if that FF actually takes place it'd go up there with 2000 as one of the shittiest of all time. Nobody wants to see Ga Tech back in the FF again, nobody but you cares about them. Pitt is kind of a guilty pleasure with me but I can't say I wanna see them THAT far.

The past two games U of L has proven we can beat people in an ultra hideous half court grinder (53-44 over Memphis) and also in a really furious shoot out against Charlotte last night. If U of L got BC in the tourney we would take them out. I don't care about BC though...I want UK in a rematch.

UCONN just put an ass whooping on Cuse, thanks to Marcus Williams playing absolutley incredible D on MaCnamara the entire game. I really like are chances at winning the big east tourney, and going far into the NCAA tourney.

Not one post about Illinois losing yesterday to horrendous OSU? Shocking. Still I don't think that Illinois should even drop a spot. Losing what was basically a trap game to a team that was playing what amounted to being their championship game (banned from postseason play, etc) really isn't that big of a deal. Not only that I think that it's probably better to lose now and get it out of the way just prior to the tournament.