TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

Resetting your computer to a certain date

Okay, I don't think this is covered in the pinned topics here. If it is, point me in that direction and I apologize for wasting a thread.

When I came back from my Christmas vacation, my computer had all sorts of pop-ups and apparent spyware on it. I suspect that one of my roommates clicked on one of those "Your computer may be affected with spyware" ads and it downloaded all these programs.

I have Spybot S&D, and I have ran it at least 10 times since I got home last night. It found an amazing amount of spyware for one week's time, and I promptly deleted it. However, the pop-ups continue shortly after running it, and the programs are running upon restart, at least, because they are in the system tray. Also, when I hit CTRL+ALT+DLT, the programs running lists several that I am pretty sure are spyware.

A long time ago, a guy that was proficient with computers told me it was possible to set a computer back to it's state on a specific day if you could pinpoint the day you started having problems. I was going to set it back one week to the day I left, but I'm not sure how I would go about doing that. Is this safe, the right thing to do in this situation, and if so, how do I do it?

Much appreciation for any input on the situation.