TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Hall of Fame Discussion Thread

He still put up the numbers and in a very good pitching era.

The late 70s and early 80s were neutral in terms of the batter/pitcher balance. I'm not saying Rice wasn't good, but there are a dozen players just as good, who aren't in on HOF discussions. Rice doesn't belong among the elite.

No. But two wrongs don't make a right.

Correct. If we took the most egregious examples of undeserving players and make them the standard, I could literally name about 500 players who would go into the Hall.

Guest Catcher8C

Jimmy Edmonds has been playing HOF caliber baseball for something like 9 of the last 10 years, and hes still got 3 or 4 years left at the miniumum.

Jimmy Edmonds has been playing HOF caliber baseball for something like 9 of the last 10 years, and hes still got 3 or 4 years left at the miniumum.

Edmonds turns 35 next year. Player at his age have a habit of disintegrating, but not all of them do. Many times, the aging process separates the Hall of Famers from the others. I think Edmonds is a longshot, but he has surprised me before. I would say if he garners about four more years at his level, he'll have a serious Hall of Fame argument.

Guest Catcher8C

If he maintains his average production over the past five years for the next 4, he would end up with career totals that make him a serious contender when defensive skill is factored in.

5 year averages (rough, but based on fuzzy math and actual stats; not a guess)

.300, 35 home runs, 102 RBI

X 4=

140 HR, 408 RBI

+

302 HR, 909 RBI (career numbers thus far)

=

442 HR, 1317 RBI

Add those stats to an average close to .300, 7 gold gloves (just to this point), and a great record of clutch post-season performance on a strong team, and I think voters would give him a serious look.

BUT...as keiper said, it still remains to be seen wether or not he will hold up that long.

I should add that if any of you have a candidate you feel I slighted, or have a candidate I endorsed that you don't feel is deserving, feel free to make a case for or against that player. I will give open time in my column to air those arguments.

The closest one for me is Bert Blyleven. Don't know if I feel slighted about it. Just think he should be in the HOF.

There is a great deal written about Blyleven's HOF worthiness. I think this column by Richard Lederer is the best of the bunch.

http://www.baseballbeat.blogspot.com/2003_...at_archive.html

With Sandberg reaching the Hall, I personally feel that Blyleven is one of the top three or five HOF candidates out there, eligible or not. And he is the best pitcher not enshrined in the Hall.

I agree with that. What irks me about Blyleven and Gossage lack of support is much of that is personal bias, because frankly both players where assholes. Voters have gone on record saying... they didn't like Blyleven personally and it's a major reason why he's not in or really not close to making it.