TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Why is Figure Skating on ESPN?

Guest BeefMan5000

I think it's to make more people watch the Sugar Bowl since the Sugar Bowl is on ABC and ABC owns ESPN. They do this during the monday night football games too.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Precisely. If they put on something else, people would watch that. Hence why no college basketball is on Monday's during ABC Monday football.

If they put Poker on there, it'd get ratings. Figure staking forces people to watch the bowl game if they want to get a sports fix and if anything draws the female demo who didn't want to watch the game and happened to see this.

Figure Skating isn't a sport. Sports aren't judged competitions.

Does that mean boxing isn't a sport?

I don't know what's a sport and what's just an athletic competition anymore. Either way, there's no way I could do what those figure skaters do.

It's technically a sport, but still ESPN's audience doesn't want to watch Figure Skating.

If the game were not a Bowl game, I'm sure that figure skating would be on ABC and football would be on ESPN...

But at least boxing has other means of winning relating to the competitors themselves (KO or TKO).

But at least boxing has other means of winning relating to the competitors themselves (KO or TKO).

<insert dated Tonya Harding joke here>

Anyways, I think it would be fun to DQ a skater after the third fall, or see the skater's coach throw in the towel during a brutal performance. I might even start watching...

It's a legit enough sport. And not near as offensive as poker, darts, the magic card game, or bass fishing.

Or hot dog eating contests.

Ah, but given the BCS rating system, is college football even a sport?

A team like Auburn ran the table in arguably the toughest division and doesn't get a shot at the national title. That's nonsense.