TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Do you believe Athletes

Actually, I can kind of see why Pedro would go to the Mets. He already won his World Series in Boston last year, so he can be satisfied with that, and what New York is offering him is security that he'll be able to continue to pitch in the majors or get paid if he's too injured to play. It's really the number of years on the deal more than the dollars that got Pedro.

Exactly. The athlete's career is a ticking time bomb. His skills will only carry him until he reaches his late 30s, or early 40s if he is lucky. Job security is important for an athlete.

Oh, I'd forgotten that Pedro was collecting cans to make ends meet. Give me a break, the guy's made how many millions of dollars in his career? Enough that his kid's kids won't have to worry about money, right?

And to even imply that he was looking more at the 4th year of playing than the $$$ that will come with it is a farce. If he'd been offered 3 years at $17 million, rather than 4 years at $14, I really think that he'd have taken the former, even though it meant a shorter contract. It was all about the money ... oops, I mean respect, with Pedro.

And, Czech, why'd you take my Patriots blowjob out of the quote? Does this mean I got my knees dirty for nothing?

And to even imply that he was looking more at the 4th year of playing than the $$$ that will come with it is a farce. If he'd been offered 3 years at $17 million, rather than 4 years at $14, I really think that he'd have taken the former, even though it meant a shorter contract. It was all about the money ... oops, I mean respect, with Pedro.

Of course the total value of the contract comes first. You're taking my comment too literally.

I do find it amusing that a player such as Martinez is criticized for going with the Mets deal. First, Pedro was offered a MUCH better contract with the Mets. Second, why should a player feel any special loyalty to a team when the team can and should trade him when they can become better in the process? Third, rarely does a player have any special connection with his city, beyond finding his employment there. When you think about it, Boston suffered without a World Championship for 86 years. But hardly any of the players were involved with that. They grew up fans of other teams, who happened to play for the Sox when they won a title.

I just think that all of us seek the best deal when we look for employment. Realistically, there is little difference between playing for one market or another. A shot at a World Championship? That can figure in, but who knows who really has a shot? Who ever thought that I-Rod was taking home a ring when he settled for Florida? The only difference in offers many times is the contract, and I do not blame the athletes one bit. Hell, if winning was all that mattered, how could you stop all the best free agents from signing with the same club?

As a fan, I never felt an emotional attachment to a player. When Strawberry left the Mets and signed with the Dodgers in 91, I wasn't crushed at all, I simply said, "Okay, who plays right field" (little did I know it would be that useless sac of crap Hubie Brooks, but that's another story) Same deal with Mike Hampton in 2001. Ever since childhood, I looked at baseball as a business. I never understood how angry people got for athletes taking better contracts.

al, my bad ... I really did take your comment too literally, that it was really the 4th year that was important to him.

And, I don't expect a player to stay with a team out of loyalty, unless of course that team has proven loyal to the player in the past. (e.g. extending their contract while they're hurt, or sticking with them through troubling personal matters).

But this thread isn't about loyalty, it's about winning championships, and to leave the defending World Series champion (and a team that's considered one of the few that has a chance to make the playoffs each-and-every year) to go to a perennial also-ran indicates that money matters more than winning.

And, using your I-Rod reference, if he'd gone to Florida even though the WS-contenders wanted him, it'd be one thing. I don't remember the teams like the Yankees or Sox or Braves going after him. (and, yes, I recognize that using the Braves as World Series contenders is a stretch ... I just couldn't think of any other NL teams that make the playoffs every year)

I think that John Abraham (Jets D Line, I was kind of drawing a blank for some reason) is a prime example of this. He basically said before the last playoff game that he could have made it back out to play, but decided with free agency coming up he didn't want to risk getting hurt worse. That is not an athlete who wants to win above all else.