TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Man in Blak

Home Runs Don't Win Ballgames

I'd put Ramirez in the four slot, too. Even Dusty said that he was his RBI guy. They usually go in the cleanup spot, right? I think Stoney was on the money when he said Patterson wasn't going to be a leadoff hitter, he would eventually become a middle of the lineup guy. And with his strikezone, I sure hope that comes true eventually.

Still, I think a LOT of us slept on the Nomar re-signing. Here's a guy who can still produce if he's healthy and we'll have him for a full season this time, not just two months. If Sosa can produce, Nomar stays healthy, and the Cubs quit trying to hit jacks all the time, they could be a very potent offense. Lots of "ifs," though.

as long as the lineup stays healthy, I really think the Cubs should win the Central. Most teams in the league don't have an infield as good as Lee, Walker, Garciaparra, and Ramirez. There are few holes in the lineup, the rotation is the best in the league, and while the bullpen is maligned, its not going to kill the team.

Yeah. I'm not sold on the 2005 Cardinals just because it seems impossible to recreate the magic two years in a row. Everything just fell into place and that might not be duplicable. The team seems more or less the same as last year's, minus Renteria and Womack plus Eckstein and Grudzielanek. Mark Mulder is a good acquisition, but he's not good enough to make the Central race a done deal. Whoever wins the division, be it Chicago, St. Louis, or Houston, is not going to win it by ten games.

If Roger Clemens retires, the Astros are in serious trouble because their rotation will be pretty thin and their lineup has lost a lot of its pop from last year. Cards had more than a couple of guys give either career or near-career performances last year and I just don't see it happening again. Pujols' heel injury flaring up again recently will hurt them if he ends up missing any significant time with it as well, and they can't afford that.

The Central should be for the Cubs taking but we've got a long way between now and October.

"God created the sun, the stars, the heavens and the earth, and then made Adam and Eve, The Bible never says anything about home runs. You can't say there's been home runs when you never saw them. Someone actually saw Adam and Eve. No one ever saw a home run."

God, it's really depressing being a baseball from Illinois who has watched the Cubs and Sox since day 1.  At least the Cardinals are good.

This statement is just a big bowl of wrong.

Yes, yes... I know. But you see, I grew up in central Illinois, 1.5 hours east of St. Louis and 3 hours south of Chicago. In Springfield, at least, allegiances are split between the Cubs and cards (I think I was the only Sox fan there). I even know I guy who has a "CUBNALS" license plate.

Long story short: I personally took to the Sox, but my family is full of hardcore Cubs fans (my grandpa even made a moving wooden model of a bear in a Cubs hat kicking a cardinal in the ass) so I like them as well. But the Cards got Mark McGwire around the time I started watching baseball religiously, and I am a fan of theirs as well.

I know it may not be kosher to a Chicagoan such as yourself, but I'm just one of many who like both the Cubs and Cards.

God, it's really depressing being a baseball from Illinois who has watched the Cubs and Sox since day 1.  At least the Cardinals are good.

This statement is just a big bowl of wrong.

Yeah...since when can a baseball TYPE?!

The Cubs have offense, they just don't utilize it.  When everyone from the leadoff hitter down to the number eight hitter is trying to constantly launch one out of the park, the results aren't pretty.

Here's the question I have - do you think these guys (in this case, the Cubs) went up to every at-bat with the singular approach of hitting a home run, or did they "switch" approaches and try to slug it out only in critical situations?

To me, it seems like it would be hard to switch batting approaches like that. These guys aren't playing on an X-Box - the muscle memory for a swing, which you train through years of playing experience, can't just flip on a dime. I tend to think players have the same batting approach every time up in every game - now, whether Dusty or the hitting coach influenced them to try to drive the ball more and sacrifice power in spring training, and said influence carried through a season...I don't know.

Whatever the case, it's not like they were "home run or bust" - the Cubs hit .268 collectively as a team, which was good for sixth in the NL.

When it came to patience at the plate, however, (in this case, quantified by OBP-BA), the Cubs were next-to-last in the NL:

SFG: 0.087

CIN: 0.081

PHI: 0.078

HOU: 0.075

ATL: 0.073

MIL: 0.073

LAD: 0.070

COL: 0.070

SDP: 0.069

NYM: 0.068

STL: 0.066

FLA: 0.065

MON: 0.064

PIT: 0.061

CHC: 0.060

ARI: 0.057

The most egregious offenders in OBP-BA that got significant at bats for the Cubs were:

Macias: .024

Grudzielanek (go cards.): .040

Barrett: .050

Patterson: .054

Ramirez: .055

Other than Grudz, all of these guys are coming back next year. Todd Walker will help matters by playing everyday (.078), but Alou, who was one of more patient Cubs at the plate (.068), is gone and having Nomar all year (.057) won't help in that regard either.

You can't play for the three-run home run when nobody is willing to draw a walk to get on base. Of course, walks clog up the basepaths, right?

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

ok I skipped the last page or so but the Cubs should go

Patterson

Lee

Ramirez

Nomar

Sosa

Walker

Barret

whoever

you could switch Patterson and Walker, it's about the same either way.

Honestly, I think the Cubs should go:

L - Walker

R - Lee

R - Nomar

R - Sosa

R - Ramirez

R - Patterson

R - Barrett

R - Hollandsworth / Dubois

Patterson's the guy who really needs to step up - if he improves his hitting (hit .260 last year) and becomes more patient, they could stuff him at leadoff, then hit Walker, Lee, Sosa, Ramirez, and have Nomar give Ramirez some protection.

ok I skipped the last page or so but the Cubs should go

Patterson

Lee

Ramirez

Nomar

Sosa

Walker

Barret

whoever

you could switch Patterson and Walker, it's about the same either way.

Jesus. People, JASON DUBOIS CAN PLAY.

Jesus. People, JASON DUBOIS CAN PLAY.

sure he can play....the question is will he play?

*cue ominous organ music*

God I hope Al makes fools of us all on the Dubois thing.

Here's Dubois' minor league figures:

Single A - .321/.422/.562, 20 HRs

Double A - .269/.367/.458, 15 HRs

Triple A - .316/.389/.630, 31 HRs

The home run boost in Triple A may be a perk of playing in the PCL, but the walk rates and slugging percentages are encouraging and, even though he hit .217/.240/.435 in his september call-up, that was in 23 at-bats. When Hollandsworth gets his annual injury and leaves the platoon open to DuBois, it may actually be a blessing in disguise.

shocking news from the Daily Herald

"Who's in left? If the season started today, the Cubs would field a left-field platoon of veteran Todd Hollandsworth and rookie Jason Dubois. Dusty Baker made it clear Friday whom he prefers.

'It's Holly first,' Baker said. 'Even if I have a platoon situation, Holly is probably going to play 135-140 games. Holly gets the first shot.'

didn't see that one coming.

That's all right, the last time that Hollandsworth reached 140 games was in his rookie season. He'll play until around mid-July, tear a hamstring, send all of Cubbie fandom into a collective panic, and then move over for Dubois, who'll probably hit .260/.330/.450 for the rest of the year.

Wow...Hollandsworth has only played 100 games 4 times in his career(1996, 1997, 2000, and 2002).

If Dusty were smart, he should try giving more playing time to Dubois in hopes that Holly can stay healthy and play more games as a result rather than seeing him flameout in 70 games.

He'll never play that many games. He was great as a fill-in for Sosa, but there's a reason he went from being ROTY to being a bench guy.

I'm fine with a Hollandsworth and Dubois platoon. Too much emphasis has been made on signing a big name. Big names don't always yield big results. Just ask Steinbrenner.

shocking news from the Daily Herald

"Who's in left? If the season started today, the Cubs would field a left-field platoon of veteran Todd Hollandsworth and rookie Jason Dubois. Dusty Baker made it clear Friday whom he prefers.

'It's Holly first,' Baker said. 'Even if I have a platoon situation, Holly is probably going to play 135-140 games. Holly gets the first shot.'

didn't see that one coming.

This reminds me of Dusty wanting Grudzielanek over Walker, then Grudz gets hurt, Walker fills in, excels, and gets benched.

"He's not gonna get any better if I don't use him!"

That does explain Farnsworth, too