• Don Newcombe (1949-51, 54-60)

• Tony Oliva (1962-76)

• Vada Pinson (1958-75)

• Ron Santo (1960-74)

• Luis Tiant (1964-82)

• Joe Torre (1960-77)

• Smoky Joe Wood (1908-15, 1917-1922)

• Maury Wills (1959-72)

Of the above, I think Minoso, Allen, and Santo deserve the Hall. Torre, Boyer and Gordon have strong cases as well.

Is Minoso the only player ever to play in 5 decades? I looked him up and he was 57 when he played his final game in '80. Satchel Paige was older, but I don't think his career in the Major Leagues stretched as long.

Is Minoso the only player ever to play in 5 decades? I looked him up and he was 57 when he played his final game in '80. Satchel Paige was older, but I don't think his career in the Major Leagues stretched as long.

Satchel played three different decades, but he was certainly good enough to play in the Majors in the 20s and 30s. 12-10, 3.07 ERA is one of the best seasons ever for a 45 year old pitcher. And for those wondering, Minoso and Paige played those games in their 50s in order to qualify for a pension fund.

Satchel played three different decades, but he was certainly good enough to play in the Majors in the 20s and 30s. 12-10, 3.07 ERA is one of the best seasons ever for a 45 year old pitcher. And for those wondering, Minoso and Paige played those games in their 50s in order to qualify for a pension fund.

I thought Minoso was trying to become the first player to play in six different decades - he was going to try to play a game in the 90's but he did not get the chance...I kinda remember that he might have been playing somewhere but the White Sox didn't want to bring him up just to set that milestone. I thought i remember something in SI or ESPN or something.

The annoucement is Wednesday, March 2nd.

Going by the results of the last vote. Hodges, Olivia, and Santo were the only ones within 20%, of the 75% needed. A player most receive 64 votes.

Gil Hodges 50 votes in 2003 +14

Tony Olivia 48 votes in 2003 +16

Ron Santo 46 votes in 2003 +18

I thought Minoso was trying to become the first player to play in six different decades - he was going to try to play a game in the 90's but he did not get the chance...I kinda remember that he might have been playing somewhere but the White Sox didn't want to bring him up just to set that milestone. I thought i remember something in SI or ESPN or something.

No, I think the White Sox gave him that game.

Fuck the Veterans Committee.

Did these guys get more hits or stats since the last time they got REJECTED? No.

So it's a joke.

I agree with "fuck the Veterans Committee" but for completely different reasons. UTSU, don't look stupid. Don't say Ron Santo shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

He didn't really say Santo does or doesn't belong.

The point is dead on, and it's accurate after about the 4th year of eligibility. Either you're a HOFamer or your not.

He didn't really say Santo does or doesn't belong.

The point is dead on, and it's accurate after about the 4th year of eligibility. Either you're a HOFamer or your not.

In a perfect world, yes. But the Baseball Writers have continuously shafted deserving players. They are unable to see greatness beyond big time hitters, or pitchers with gaudy win/loss percentages. It is absolutely criminal that Bert Blyleven is not in the Hall. If you left the voting to a group of baseball scholars, I'd be comfortable with a once and done voting system. But otherwise, I just can't see it.

undeserving people like Catfish Hunter

Explain.

He's probably just pissy at me so he takes it out on Catfish. All the more reason for him to suffer from a beatdown by the cops. Catfish was a member of two championship winning teams, the Oakland Athletics and the New York Yankees, won 220 games, finished with a 3.26 career ERA. He is deserving IMO.