TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

The Colorado Rockies

Can a team win in the thin air of Colorado. It is more difficult for a team to win in a hitters' park than in a pitchers' park, it seems. Teams in pitchers' parks have less difficulty finding a pitching staff that holds together. I am a believer that baseball is 50% hitting, and 50% pitching. However, there is a key difference when developing hitting and pitching. Your hitting can only get so bad. The pitching, however, can surrender an infinite number of runs. Thus, a bad pitching staff can snowball.

The popular conception is that the Rockies cannot win in their park. Actually, the problem is that the Rockies cannot win on the road. In 2003, they finished 74-88. That record included a 49-32 mark at home, and a 25-56 mark on the road. That's a 98-64 quality team at home, and a 50-112 mark on the road, over a full season. The Rockies have never posted a better than .500 record on the road.

Is it a problem with the parks, or with the team? Last year's Rockies lost 94 games. Looking over the roster, I am hard pressed to think this team would perform any better if they played in Petco. Looking over the club, the Rockies seem primed to take a big step forward this year. One of the ways a team can quickly improve themselves is to replace unproductive veterans with youngsters who can play. Vinny Castilla is replaced by Garrett Atkins, and Royce Clayton is replaced by Clint Barmes. J.D. Closser replaces Charles Johnson. Jeff Francis replaces Shawn Estes in the pitching staff.

Jeff Francis is the real key to this team. The Rockies have never developed a major league pitching prospect this good. If any pitcher can succeed while pitching in Colorado, it's Francis. Francis pitched well in Colorado Springs, so we will see.

This team is likely not a contender, but with their young players and prospects, they should be fun to watch.

PROJECTED LINEUP

1. Aaron Miles 2B

2. Clint Barmes SS

3. Todd Helton 1B

4. Preston Wilson CF

5. Matt Holliday LF

6. Garrett Atkins 3B

7. Dustan Mohr RF

8. J.D. Closser C

Rotation

1. J. Jennings

2. J. Kennedy

3. S. Chacon

4. J. Francis

5. J. Wright

I can't really comment because I haven't heard of half their players, but neither the lineup or the rotation look to promising. I think with the slight improvements of Arizona, 5th place is Colorado's to avoid.