TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest the Goon

Audio Commentary on WWF PPV DVDs

Guest the Goon

With all the special features out there on DVDs, and considering how expensive WWF VHS and DVDs are when they come out, i think we should be writing in demanding some special features on certain PPV DVDs, especially "big deal" DVDs like Wrestlemania

I noticed on the back of the box for Mick Foleys "Hard Knocks and Cheap Pops" DVD that it contains foleys top 5 matches. how awesome would it be to have each match have an audio commentary with Foley explaining what he's doing, what hurt, what didnt, what mistakes happened, what they are actually talking about when they 'talk trash' to each other. how awesome would it be for Al Snow to talk his way through the Kennel from hell match?

WWF DVDs desperately need chapter selection features. and with each match, you could have one or both competitors talking with each other about the match. I think this would be very interesting and I know I'd be more interesting in picking a DVD up for this feature alone.  I'm sure we could all agree that a Big Show match might be more watchable if we could have the big lug and his good sense of humor talking over it. we could even have the opportunity to hear Kane talk in his real voice, Edge and Christian make some more jokes, ditto Triple H as he's a funny guy...

Other features you could put on DVDs include many little things like "meet Kevin Dunn and a look inside the production truck", talking with James Johnston about the writing of theme music, more backstage interviews, costume design, production design/sketches for putting together PPV sets, updates from OVW, injury updates/the healing process..

anything else anyone can think of? we should really be emailing the WWF all at once demanding these sort of things....

Guest Choken One

Hard Knocks is simply the best WWF DVD ever and I agree some commentary's would be nice. NiceIdeas

Guest teke184

I would appreciate a commentary to some of the lesser PPVs on DVD just so I have an excuse to watch them again.  I could just imagine the bitterness that SK would have if he had to sit through Rock Bottom, Backlash 2001, or Judgment Day 2001 again, let alone the commentary he'd do over the Chyna-Ivory BS at Royal Rumble 2001 (which was a GREAT PPV outside of that 10-15 minutes).

Guest Slapnuts00

Hey, the Foley DVD is the best out there, atleast it HAD extra matches. Many don't (for PPVs specifically). For their other DVDs they usually include quite a few extra matches and stuff (like "Action" and "Hardcore" which both have HOURS of extra full matches and segments)

Guest J*ingus

Would a shoot commentary be an awesome feature?  Sure.  Is there any chance in hell of the WWF actually doing it?  Nope.

Guest Some Guy

On Wrestlemania XV and 2000 and SummerSlam '99 there are commentary tracks.  There ok but the wrestlers stay in character for the most part which hurts them a lot.

Guest J*ingus

My point exactly.  The WWF kinda sorta flirted with doing some shoot-ish stuff on that "famous matches & moments" series they did on Heat, but that's as far as they ever went, cuz they still keep the kayfabe strong.

Guest TheDames7

The commentary on KOTR 2001, with Angle and Shane O Mac was excellent, but it wasn't in the context of the PPV.  It was called an "interview" and you had to access the feature through the menu, so you can't simply listen to it during the PPV itself.  

Although this is a pipe dream, I'd love a running inside commentary like Meltzer and Cornette did with the Wrestling Gold series.  

Dames

Guest Galactic Gigolo

There's really no chance of the WWF ever doing "shoot" commentary for their DVDs.  That's why I, for one, can't wait for Scott to start posting commentaries for DVDs.  I routinely watch DVDs with commentary on (the best is with low budget films because the director points out all kinds of mistakes), and subtitles, so hearing Keith will be refreshing instead of Lawler screaming for puppies the whole fucking night.

I really want to hear Keith do Lynn vs. Van Dam #1 (as opposed to the 18 million matches they had after that).  Tons of people disagree with him over his ratings (for me, it's not ** 3/4, and not *****, somewhere in the middle), and I'd love to hear him rant as to why its not move-by-move.

Guest Lil Naitch

Commentary tracks would be an awsome feature. I hate how the PPV's don't have jack in thw way of features.

Guest TheDames7

One of the main reasons why I would love to hear Keith's commentaries is because sometimes, I am so into the matches that gaps in psychology or logic in general escape me at the moment.  

I wonder if he starts off giving every match 5 stars and just decreases it as he goes along.  It seems as if thats what he does in his rants, but its not consistent.

Dames