TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Who will win the general election then?

Who will be Prime Minister on Friday?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be Prime Minister on Friday?

• Tony Blair
    • Michael Howard
    • Charles Kennedy
    • The Legalise Cannabis Alliliance Leader(Fingers crossed :) )

And yes, I know the Lib Dems only took 10 more seats, but I mean their seat totals

Bush was reelected with(i think) a bigger share of the vote and more electoral points, and Tony Blair lost nearly 120 seats and was elected with the worst share of the vote in history(36.4%), ...

But, but, Rush and Hannity said this was a big win for Blair.

And to be fair, any re-elected president would have to get a bigger share of the vote than Bush's 2000 effort...

To be fair, I dont have the foggiest who those gadgies Rush and Hannity are, but I dont think they know UK politics too well

In fact, its such a big win for Blair, look how popular he is

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vot...age/4526435.stm

Labour MPs call on Blair to quit 

Tony Blair has faced strong criticism over the Iraq war

Tony Blair has been urged to quit as prime minister early into his third term, days after Labour's election win.

Despite securing a historic third victory, the government's Commons majority was slashed from 161 to 67.

Several Labour MPs have called for Mr Blair to resign as a "liability", among them former minister Frank Dobson.

However, senior party figures including David Blunkett and Peter Hain have rallied in support of Mr Blair, urging MPs to "get behind" their leader.

Downing Street has said there is "no change" from Mr Blair's statement last year that he would serve a full third term.

'Negative factor'

Some MPs have suggested the prime minister should step down within a year to 18 months, with Chancellor Gordon Brown tipped as the most likely successor.

Mr Dobson, who served as health secretary in Mr Blair's first Cabinet, told GMTV's Sunday programme the prime minister had been an "enormous liability" in this election who had cost the party seats.

"I don't think we can go into important local elections next year... with Tony Blair as leader and expect to keep many of the councillors we've got now," he said.

It would be nice to see Brown crowned as early as the next party conference

Desmond Turner, MP for Brighton Kemptown

Labour rebels target Blair

Analysis: New landscape

John Austin, MP for Erith and Thamesmead, told The Sunday Times the prime minister had been "a liability and not an asset during the election".

He said: "You can't beat about the bush. Blair was a negative factor on the doorstep, time and time and time again."

Jeremy Corbyn, MP for Islington North and a fierce critic of the Iraq war, predicted Mr Blair could be out of Downing Street within a year.

He told Channel 4's Morgan and Platell Programme: "I think he might well decide that the end of the G8 presidency (at the end of 2005) is the time to go. I don't think he would want to go in the middle of it."

Desmond Turner, the Brighton Kemptown MP, said: "It would be nice to see Brown crowned as early as the next party conference.

'Toy Town Cabinet'

"There is only one choice for leader. I don't think anyone else need apply for the job."

However ex-Labour minister and government critic Frank Field warned "gang warfare" between Blairite and Brownite factions could lead some MPs to look elsewhere for leadership contenders.

We now - all of us - have to build that confidence behind our prime minister

Work and Pensions Secretary David Blunkett

Galloway pledges to oust Blair

He acknowledged Mr Blair's election successes but dismissed his reshuffle as "like a Cabinet for Toy Town" and lacking "substantial" figures apart from Mr Blunkett.

Mr Field said: "He [Mr Blair] is clearly the best we've ever had at winning elections. The trouble with that of course is what we do after we've won an election."

Mr Blunkett, the new Work and Pensions Secretary, told the BBC's Breakfast with Frost the Iraq war had been a "major factor" in eroding confidence in the prime minister but said people had to move on.

"We now - all of us - have to build that confidence behind our prime minister who, after all, not only got a historic third term but got the kind of majority in that third term that we expected in 1997."

Mr Blunkett urged MPs to back the manifesto on which they were elected and "get stuck in... and deliver to the British people".

Otherwise, he said, they were being "as self-indulgent as the better-off who voted Lib Dem".

FINAL ELECTION RESULT

Lab: 356

Con: 197

Lib Dem: 62

Click and zoom UK map

Results in full

Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell also defended the prime minister, saying "serving a full term doesn't mean leaving office after a year or two".

The new Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Hain said the idea that the public would welcome Mr Blair's immediate replacement as leader was "fantasy".

Mr Blair's ex-communications director Alastair Campbell said people underestimated the prime minister's achievement in securing a third election victory.

The Observer reports that within Mr Blair's own private circle the timetable being discussed would involve him triggering a party leadership contest in July 2008.

He would then remain as prime minister while the succession was resolved, allowing the new leader to take over that autumn.

A Downing Street spokesman declined to comment on the reports other than to point to Mr Blair's statement of last September in which he said that if re-elected he would serve a full third term.

"There has been no change," he said.

To be fair, I dont have the foggiest who those gadgies Rush and Hannity are, but I dont think they know UK politics too well

It's an American joke. Just smile, nod your head and pray for your hippie soccer team...

Most interesting thing for me in this election has been the near destruction of the middle ground vote in Ulster. The Ulster Unionists are all but finished as a party. Now we just have the fun of watching Gerry and Big Ian tearing strips off each other