TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Sonic Youth

I'd heard some of their tunes like 'Bull in the Heather', 'Diamond Sea' and 'Superstar' on the radio, but though they were often referenced, it wasn't until I picked up 'Dirty' about two years ago that I really got into their music. Their tunings are weird, and it takes a little bit of listening to get into them, but I find their music is really rewarding. You can often hear new things every time you listen to their songs.

Random top album listing by me:

1. Daydream Nation

2. Murray St.

3. EVOL

4. Sister

5. Goo

6. Confusion is Sex

7. Washing Machine

8. Sonic Nurse

9. Dirty

10. Thousand Leaves

They've got some stinker, Jet Set Trash and No Star is pretty dull, and Goodbye Twentieth Century is my least favourite type of music, modern classical.

I really like the band though, and their sound has really evolved, from the pure nasty, scary sound of Confusion is Sex, to the beautiful jams of Murray St,

Anyone else like them?

I think after someone listens to music for long enough they eventually like at least a few SY albums, almost by default. Kim Gordon can be annoying though, aside from on "Confusion is Sex" and "Sonic Nurse."

Edited by 5_moves_of_doom

Daydream Nation, Sister, and Murray Street are all damn near masterpieces, and I've yet to hear an album of theirs that I actively disliked.

They meet my approval.