TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest the 1inch punch

The irish general election

Guest the 1inch punch

Bertie Ahern's back in, which means we are getting a fecking stadium built after him

Guest muzanisa

What stadium (I'm a plastic paddy; I live in the UK) ?

If it's a replacement for Lansdowne Road that the football team can play in then that has to be a good thing.

On an Ahern related note, personally I think it might be a good thing, as it means that the Northen Ireland  'peace process' has some political continuity to it. However, I hope this doesn't mean he'll try and tighten abortion laws again (was that a move by him?- I'm not too sure on that specific)

Hopefully, the new stadium'll be built as a companion to Lansdowne Road, as the place always seemed to have a certain aura about it during the Six Nations Rugby Games - Not that its made much difference lately) On a stadium related note, how come pretty much every other major sporting nation can sort out a national stadium in a sensible place with cracking facilities and transport, but we get the farce that is the Wembley project? -  Poor location, poor transport links, and the government/sporting bodies can' even decide which sports they want played in it. hey, ho.

Ian

Guest the 1inch punch

The basic problem with the stadium is that in the previos government, FF were in a coalition, and Harney wouldnt go along with it. Now that Ahern might have a majority, he can have it no hassle

Guest TJH

Where is the international outrage about a known Ultra Nationalist organisation winning seats in parliament?

If Jean-Marie Le Pen does well in an election, the world is quick to condemn this "rise of racism" and "anti-immigration" agenda. But if the foremost terrorist organisation of the 20th century does well in an election, the media is silent. This is the most blatant hippocracy you will ever see.

<Where is the international outrage about a known Ultra Nationalist organisation winning seats in parliament?

If Jean-Marie Le Pen does well in an election, the world is quick to condemn this "rise of racism" and "anti-immigration" agenda. But if the foremost terrorist organisation of the 20th century does well in an election, the media is silent. This is the most blatant hippocracy you will ever see.>

Yep your bang on TJH, although it should be said that Le Pen's crime was not to be a racist or nazi (which he (openly at least) is neither) but to be a brilliant orator that came close to bringing down the corrupt order that rules France and also to be anti-EU.

However I'm glad Sinn Fein did so well. Not only does it show up the lie that the Irish (the world's first terrorist state) doesn't support terrorism but it also shows Bertie Arhen's hypicosary in not allowing Sinn Fein to join the government while the IRA is still there while forcing the Unionist to sit in government with them. Also his excuse that a  terrorist group cannot have a role in government with powers over Policing) is jackshit as he supports Pattern's police reforms that do the very thing.

Also on a less partisan point it does bring Sinn Fein closer into the democratic process and tempts the likes of Gerry Adams to wind up the IRA, although I wouldn't expect it anytime soon,

William