TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Rugby stuff

Ok, this probably won't appeal to much to the non-European/Antipodean readers amongst you (Not sure here - Just out of interest, how high a profile does rugby have in the US/Canada?)  but its getting to the climax of the Rugby Union season, and I'd thought I'd offer some thoughts on the domestic and international competition coming up.

Firstly, the European Cup final is next Saturday, and as much as I'm impressed by Munster, I can't really see Leicester dropping the ball here, especially if they come out focussed by their shock defeat to Bristol (Their first at home to English opposition since 1997), and their win over Llanelli proved they could win bug games whne off their game. - As for the Zurich Playoffs (pointless IMO), now that Leicester are gone, I'm goign with Gloucester as favorites, we;'ve put 60 points past both Newcastle and Bath this season (even though Bath suck), so we're in the right vein of form.  On the relegation side of things, that was a complete spit in the face of Rotheram and rugby fans in general IMO, so we'll see if ERL have the nerve to pull that  trick a second time around next season.

As for the Super-12, my money had been on NSW to clear up, but I'm left speechless by the size of their defeat to the Brumbies, and s much as the Crusaders have been the form team this season, the Brumbies look to be in the right moood to retain.  However, I'm still going with New Zealand for the Tri-Nations, they seem to have rediscovered their 'zing ' so to speak that's been lacking the last couple of seasons, and Australia seem to be a bit lacking at the moment.

Finally, I kinda fancy New Zealand, Fiji and England as medal prospects for the Commonwealth Games Sevens tournament at the moment, though I'm not sure on who'll get what exactly.

As for League, well we've a way to go yet, but for the State of Origin games, I'll go with  Queensland, simply because they've got a much bigger pack and Allan Langer.

Any thoughts?

Ian