TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
USC Wuz Robbed!

Twilight Zone

So, did anyone catch the marathon airing on last Monday? Which was your favorite?

I caught some of it.

I have to say I enjoyed the time travel one, where he went back to Idaho (I think?) or Indiana or something like that. But I'm a sucker for all of those 'try to go back and change time, only making it worse, or finding out you were the reason something happened' tv shows/movies. So I enjoyed it.

And also 'Uncle Simon'. I can't say that I enjoyed that one so much..but, it was pretty amusing.

And old lady and the telephone one though, annoyed the shit out of me.

Edit- And man, the guy in your av looks exactly like the dad from Smart Guy. This guy. Couldn't find a better pic though.

jdoe11.jpg

I TiVoed eight or nine of the first episodes that they aired during the marathon.

Twilight Zone, at least to me, is only good when it's creepy. A couple of the episodes, like the woman making a deal with a witch to win over the heart of her sister's fiance, were God awful.

Of the nine that I saw (although I've seen plenty in my lifetime), my favorites were the man coming home from space and encountering a slightly different dimension along the way and the man who stays young forever.

I missed the marathon for the first time in years.

I always enjoyed the show, and as I got older, enjoy the social messages and orals of the stories that Serling was trying to get across.

A good example is the "eye of the beholder" with the women bandaged up on her haead getting lots of surgery to look "normal" and at the end she takes off hsi bandage and she looks fine, but the doctors and people all have weird lookign faces and pig noses.

The monster on the planes wing one is great, it used to scare the hell otu of my mom when she was a kid she told me.

I also like The Monsters Are Due on Maple street.

lots of great choices, hard to pick one.

I didn't catch the marathon this year, but have the whole series on DVD.

My current favorite is The Grave, but that's always changing.

Has anyone picked up the new DVD sets? I'd like to know if the "remastered" picture is really worth it.

Guest SpiderFan

I always enjoyed the episode where a bus stops at a diner due to bad weather. and all the riders go inside. The police come to investigate a crash of a UFO earlier in the night, and at the end it's revealed that

the owner of the diner is from Pluto and one of the riders was indeed a martian

Also really like the one where a woman is frantically trying to beat off a tiny alien from killing her,

and you're really cheering for her to win, only to discover that the tiny alien is actually a human and the woman is living on another planet

And pretty much anything with Burgess Meredith, especially the one where he wants nothing but to read, and ends up the last man on earth, with a whole library to himself,

only to break his glasses.

Such delicious irony.

Probably my favorite show of all time, just for the sheer number of great episodes.

My faves: w/o ending spoilers

Martin Balsam in the hour long episode where he works at a wax museum and takes 5 of the figures home to start his own museums since it's closing down. However, he takes a bunch of famous killers like Jack the Ripper and when his wife goes down to check on them she's killed, as are a couple of other acquaintences of his. So then the question is, is he doing the murders or are the wax murderers coming to life?

Robert Duvall in Miniature, another hour long one where this lonely guy goes to a museum and sees these minature collections, including a toy house and toy woman inside it. Inside the house, life is going on though, and he watches the woman go through daily routines. It comforts him and he grows attracted to her, but when he tells his family, they think he's crazy.

John Carradine in the Howling Man, a man is in Europe between WW1 and WW2 and has to stay at a monestary overnight. He hears weird howling coming from the celler and finds a man trapped in a cell. The monks tell him it's the devil, imprisoned.

Lee Marvin in Steel; Boxing is outlawed in the future and they use robots, but Marvin doesn't have enought money for a new model robot and his opponent has the newest most efficient one. So he's either gotta find some way to hold off the fight, get money quick, or maybe there's another option to make the fight go long enough for him to make a profit.

James Coburn in the Old Man In The Cave, post-nuclear war future, a village lives according to whatever the old man in the cave tells them to eat and do. His message is relayed by another man in the village and all seems well. However, Coburn and his gang come by and shake things up and convince the villagers to see the old man and find out why he knows so much.

Probably my favorite show of all time, just for the sheer number of great episodes.

John Carradine in the Howling Man, a man is in Europe between WW1 and WW2 and has to stay at a monestary overnight. He hears weird howling coming from the celler and finds a man trapped in a cell. The monks tell him it's the devil, imprisoned.

James Coburn in the Old Man In The Cave, post-nuclear war future, a village lives according to whatever the old man in the cave tells them to eat and do. His message is relayed by another man in the village and all seems well. However, Coburn and his gang come by and shake things up and convince the villagers to see the old man and find out why he knows so much.

Two great episodes, I agree. I found the ending to Howling Man to be somewhat fitting and ironic in a sense.

I always enjoyed the episode where a bus stops at a diner due to bad weather. and all the riders go inside.  The police come to investigate a crash of a UFO earlier in the night, and at the end it's revealed that

the owner of the diner is from Pluto and one of the riders was indeed a martian

Also really like the one where a woman is frantically trying to beat off a tiny alien from killing her,

and you're really cheering for her to win, only to discover that the tiny alien is actually a human and the woman is living on another planet

And pretty much anything with Burgess Meredith, especially the one where he wants nothing but to read, and ends up the last man on earth, with a whole library to himself,

only to break his glasses.

Such delicious irony.

The names of those 3 shows (according) ito my on screen tv guide)were

1. "Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up?"

2. "The Invaders"

3. "Time Enough At Last"

Indeed thsoe three are classics.