TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

Box Office Report 7/29-7/31...

I knew after I posted that that someone would bring up Trainspotting! I actually liked his role in Velvet Goldmine, though it was one of the weirdest movies I have ever seen in my life...

Guest El Satanico

Hey wow, there's now other guys, not named downhome or bob barron, on this board admitting love for Moulin Rouge and/or Down With Love. It's always good to know that there are others man enough to admit this.

For the record, I also like both a good deal. I've liked every Ewan film that I've seen.

Well as I said Down With Love is a movie that requires knowledge of a specific genre to truly get (namely 50s/60s Doris Day/Rock Hudson comedies). I liked Ewen in it, but Zellweger has a habit of irritating me in stuff like this and maybe also Chicago and Cold Mountain. Also there was no one to match Tony Randall period. Randall was the man.

It really doesn't help  that both "Moulin Rouge" and "Down with Love" sucked ass, however.

Moulin Rouge was one of the best movies you have ever seen. Yes, I am telling you your opinon, as the one you have right now is just plain wrong.

Moulin Rouge was another example of style over substance. The lavish set pieces were not enough to distract me from how the plot was basically a recycled "Three's Company" episode (chasing a girl leads to mistaken identity/big misunderstanding). I'll admit the ending was gutsy, but the fact you know she was going to die the whole time cast a huge depressing shadow over the entire film. It also had horrible songs and bad singing. I paid $7 to see a movie, not listen to karaoke medleys.

If hating this movie makes me wrong, then I don't want to be right. There's simply no way I could ever think this movie was remotely good. The fact that it was nominated for an Oscar proves nothing. With "Fellowship of the Ring" and "A Beautiful Mind" both nominated, there was no way it was winning. They probably just needed a 5th entry to round out the category. The fact that Nicole Kidman lost her category to Halle Berry should also tell you something about how weak that category was.

The problem with Down with Love was that it tried too hard to copy the Doris Day comedy style, and they just couldn't pull it off without it seeming fake and gimmicky.

Edited by Y2Jerk