TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

WildCats Question...

I read the first 4 issues of the jim lee/brandon choi run back in the day, then just lost interest. Recently, I bought the "homecoming" trade on a whim and loved it. I'm ordering "Gang war" and the acclaimed Version 2.0 trades with Joe Casey and Sean Phillips now, but is there a trade of the storyline from WildC.A.Ts #14-21? The trades I see have everything up to #13 and anything after #21. What's that storyline called?

Issue #20 is part 2 of the "Wildstorm Rising" x-over so that could be a reason for why that run of issues was not collected in TPB.

Issue #20 is part 2 of the "Wildstorm Rising" x-over so that could be a reason for why that run of issues was not collected in TPB.

Also, there is a Savage Dragon Xover in that period of issues which was reprinted in one of the Savage Dragon TPBs.

Another reason is that there are basically only three good issues in that run that are worth collecting (James Robinson's "Ben Santini Vs Wildcats" arc), which isn't enough page-countwise to justify a TPB.

Sort of off topic, but I just read that Jim Lee and Grant Morrison are rebooting WildC.A.T.S in 2006. Sounds like it could be interesting.

Thoughts?

Will be a failure of such magnitude that it will further cause Jim Lee to be known as the little shit sell-out who only lives to suck the Dildo and Levitz's cocks and ask if he can offer his asshole up to Levitz and the Dildo so they can assfuck him....

Killing the critically acclaimed Wildcats V3.0 (not to mention forcing Casey to spend the final six issues on Zealot, the most hated member of the Wildcats team) and replacing it with this will knife this relaunch in the brains and kill it deader than dead. The only fucking way I can see this working is if they purposely go out of their way to sidestep V3.0 (which means you'll never fucking see Spartan or Grifter or anything REMOTELY connected to Halo ever again in the new book, to the point that they are outright never mentioned at all) and use the limboed characters (Maul, Voodoo, and Warblade) as the core of the new team with new characters replacing the dead and "can't be used whatsoever" characters.

I never understood the appeal of WildCATS. To me it always seemed like a Jim Lee masturbation fantasy, with lots of posing, convoluted backstory, ridiculously impractical costumes, and one-dimensional characters with names that were randomly picked from the dictionary.

I never understood the appeal of WildCATS.  To me it always seemed like a Jim Lee masturbation fantasy, with lots of posing, convoluted backstory, ridiculously impractical costumes, and one-dimensional characters with names that were randomly picked from the dictionary.

That's what it started out as, but, in reading Alan Moore's run, he really got into the minds of each character, fleshing them out in ways that Lee probably never intended. Casey's run went even deeper, exploring what happens when the war is over and the team has to call it a day, so to speak.

I'm hoping Morrison can kickstart the series again. My dream WildC.A.T.s team?

Thought you'd never ask..

Maul

Condition Red ( i just think his costume is better than Grifters)

Void

Spartan

Majestic

Voodoo

Fuck it, throw in Ripclaw.

Maul = most underrated wildcat.

Yeah, but Alan Moore could make Speedball an interesting character if he wanted to.

Speedball's already been made into an interesting character by Fabian N. It's the pathetic psuedo-elitist "Every super-hero must be angry, violent, brooding angst filled, and obsessed with raping men and women in the ass" fans who have the problem with Speedball.

The fact that I think Speedball is a stupid character doesn't mean I want to see men raped, it means I have eyes connected to my brain. If you're going to honestly tell me you think Speedball's an interesting character you might as well tell me there's a Santa Claus. Either way, I'm not going to believe you. Speedball was nothing more than a patheticly failed attempt by Steve Ditko to recreate Spider-Man, and later a retarded supporting character in the New Warriors, a pathetic attempt by Marvel to rip-off the Teen Titans a decade too late.

Guest JMA
Yeah, but Alan Moore could make Speedball an interesting character if he wanted to.

This is true. Moore can make bland characters interesting and good characters great.

As the saying goes, "Alan Moore Knows the Score."