TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

*Spoiler from tonights ROH show*

Yeah, I guess AJ should do more 5 minute headlocks and crappy headbutts like your favorites, Punk and Joe.

If there is a meaning behind the headlocks and headbutts, then yes.

But then if he did that, everyone would complain Aj would be trying to hard to act like Punk and Joe... :P

Guest OSIcon
Yeah, I guess AJ should do more 5 minute headlocks and crappy headbutts like your favorites, Punk and Joe.

As opposed to Styles' own crappy headbutts (see the 7/23 ROH show) and punches?

You are acting like headlocks are always a bad thing. Used right within the context of a match (which Punk usually does), there are fine. Just like Styles' moves and wrestling style are not inherently bad. There is nothing wrong with being a flashy wrestler like an AJ Styles or RVD. The problem comes when all you do is "flash" with no substance. Styles usually has a problem of putting together logical matches that go beyond "those moves and bumps were really cool".

You are kidding right?

I think we have a nother case of a guy becoming popular, therefore he must not be that good. If people stop watching highlights of AJ matches and watch the matches, they will see that he does put on damn good matches. He does have a few moves I hate, like that damn backflip/reverse DDT thing, but dammit, the guy is very good at putting together a match.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave
I think we have a nother case of a guy becoming popular, therefore he must not be that good. If people stop watching highlights of AJ matches and watch the matches, they will see that he does put on damn good matches.

Yeah, I disliked AJ before he become so popular, and yeah, I watch the matches not the highlights, I don't see shit.

Guest OSIcon
I think we have a nother case of a guy becoming popular, therefore he must not be that good. If people stop watching highlights of AJ matches and watch the matches, they will see that he does put on damn good matches. He does have a few moves I hate, like that damn backflip/reverse DDT thing, but dammit, the guy is very good at putting together a match.

It isn't the case of Styles becoming "too popular" and there being a backlash against him. The criticisms have always been there, it is just now that he is so popular, those criticisms are in the spotlight more.

I watch full AJ Styles matches and to be honest, I would prefer watching just highlights in most cases. Like I said, he is a great athlete, can do a lot of cool moves, and takes great bumps. He just has trouble stringing a match together using those things. The majority of his matches are just a bunch of moves often done at a fast pace. After about ten minutes of a Styles match, I am usually left bored because there is no substance or reason for me to care beyond "wow, those were a bunch of cool moves." He also tries to do too much to the point where it is hard to remember what move happened just a few minutes ago which in the end, makes everything mean *that* much less.

Another problem is he doesn't always make full use of the other wrestler he is in the ring with. That is probably his most frustrating quality. If a wrestler is facing AJ Styles, that wrestler will end up wrestling Styles' match. For example, a Joe vs. Styles match (at least in my mind) would be at its best with Joe delivering punishment, Styles bumping his ass off, and using some of his crowd pleasing moves for comeback and hope spots. Instead, their TNA match saw Styles get more offense, Joe end up looking like just another X-Division guy, and that's it. Instead of taking Joe's best qualities and mixing it with his own good qualities (bumping), they worked a match that didn't play to either guy's fullest strengths. That is pretty much the norm for a Styles match.

He has the tools to be as good as some people make him out to be. He needs to take a lesson from Jimmy Rave: simplify and play to your strengths.