TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

New owners for New Japan

OK, I admit, I don't pay too much attention to the Japanese wrestling industry, but I saw this on wrestlingobserver.com and I thought it was interesting:

"Simon Inoki announced today that New Japan Pro Wrestling has been sold to Yukus, an Osaka based company that markets home videos and video games."\

I'm pretty sure that "Yukus" is a typo and he's referring to Yukes, the Osaka-based company that develops the WWE games for PS2 and Gamecube.

From www.puroresufan.com:

"Entertainment giant, Yuke's, today announced the purchase of Antonio Inoki's 27,800 shares, giving them controlling interest in New Japan Pro-Wrestling (51.5%). They are one of the most powerful media companies in Japan and are behind the Toukon DVD range and many famous New Japan video games, and their takeover of New Japan will have major ramifications. Antonio Inoki, who has forced many controversial decisions that many believe have held back New Japan in recent years, now has no power in the company, although may stick around as a presence, as New Japan announced his participation on the 12/6 "TOUKON FESTIVAL" today. The major restructuring in New Japan continues - new president, new matchmaker, new controlling company."

"Simon Inoki and President Taniguchi of Yukes held a press conference this afternoon at the Tokyo Dome Hotel to announce the sale. Taniguchi said this was in no way a hostile takeover, and in fact their purchase will end New Japan's financial crisis, which has happened due to sloppy management and become very serious in recent times. Taniguchi said Yukes has aimed for a long time (with their Toukon Retsuden series among other things, such as WWE titles) to enhance the pro wrestling industry through games, DVDs, and other products, and now it wants to lend its power to the Japanese industry leader, New Japan. Taniguchi said, "We are offering relief to the greatest professional wrestling organization in Japan, and will back New Japan in any way possible." Simon said that Yukes would have no influence on matchmaking, and that the company will still be run by he and Choshu, that TV Asahi would continue to support New Japan, and that the globalization attempt will continue."

"(Update: Very interesting comment from this whole situation. Yuke's purchase allowed New Japan to prevent being taken over by "a certain company" that would have presumably been bad for New Japan judging by how it was worded... could it have been WWE, DSE, or FEG?)"

----------

As for the last paragraph, I have no idea what DSE or FEG are...

DSE - Dream Stage Entertainment is the parent company of the PRIDE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIPS, which organizes the events in Japan. DSE is headquartered in Tokyo and has its U.S. office in Los Angeles.

Also run K-1 and HUSTLE shows.

FEG - Fox Entertainment Group??

DSE - Dream Stage Entertainment is the parent company of the PRIDE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIPS, which organizes the events in Japan. DSE is headquartered in Tokyo and has its U.S. office in Los Angeles.

Also run K-1 and HUSTLE shows.

FEG - Fox Entertainment Group??

Don't think it's Fox, Fox is owned by News Corp.

Guest Black Tiger

Ever since 2001 or so when Inoki's shoot craze went out of control, people were clamoring for him to lose his stock, and now he finally has. Hopefully this rules out the idea of Lesnar losing the title back to Fujita.

If Antonio is truly out of real power, though he'll always have some level of influence, then this can only be a good thing. Thanks to Inoki's stupidity, he's done a lot of damage to New Japan, and hopefully the long road to recovery can finally start.

Guest Duke_The_Dog

From WON: The comapany said Simon Inoki will still run everything, they are doing a Panda/TNA deal where they will give $ and wait for return profits.

The Dome show will be Indys vs New japan . Dave thinks its horrid.

Antonio Inoki was offered a chance to come to the jan. 4th Dome Show. he declined citing "I'm through with pro wrestling"

Simon Inoki also claimed he was going to tour new japan abroad.