TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 11/15 - 11/19

Ditto on Major Applewhite. It always drove me crazy watching Simms throw away big game after big game, when Applewhite was one of the most clutch QBs in Texas history. Honestly, if he started all four years, Texas would have at least gotten to a national championship, and they might have even won one.

As for Texas losing this year, it's possible, but not against Colorado. The only way Texas loses now is if Nebraska knocks off Colorado, and they have to play Iowa State. The Cyclones are the second best team in the Big XII right now, and with Stevie Hicks starting, they're 6-0 including wins over Iowa, Texas A&M, and Colorado.

Guest Ether
Miami hadn't done much of note all year, which is why that jarring squash of Va Tech was really bizarre. 

A couple weeks ago I was the first to mention the doomsday South Florida BCS scenario, but now I have an even more terrifying Big East scenario for the BCS.  This is convoluted so bear with me.  What if:

--West Virginia loses to both Pitt and South FL to finish 5-2 in league.

--South Florida loses at UConn and then beats WVU in the hurricane makeup game.

--Louisville squashes Cuse and UConn as they should.

Now you have four teams all tied at 5-2 in conf. and I have no idea who gets the tiebreaker.  WVU would have lost to both Pitt and USF so they wouldn't have a tiebreaker over those teams.  Pitt would have it over USF and WVU but U of L kicked their asses.  U of L beat Pitt but lost to USF and WVU.

If that bizarro world scenario actually happened, who wins the conference?

It would be 6-5 Pittsburgh.

Pitt and USF would both be 2-1 against co-champions, while Pitt would have the head-to-head tiebreaker with USF for beating them.

Just think Pittsburgh could be the worst team ever to go to a BCS game........

two years in a row!

Well, at least I think that's the case. If the Big East tiebreaking procedure isn't that complicated, then the Sugar Bowl would just get to take their pick.

No, it's a bit more complicated than that. If none of the teams that are tied has swept the rest of the teams, the bid goes to whoever is ranked higher in the BCS. If neither team is ranked, THEN it goes to head-to-head ranking.

But, since both teams would presumably be unranked in the BCS, yes, Pitt would get the automatic bid.

Yes, it would be Pitt. As underwhelming as that team would be (yes, even I would admit that it would not be good for the Big East), there is one match-up with a 6-5 Pitt team that would still be appealing and marketable than any match-up they could throw a 10-1 WVU team at:

Pitt v. Penn State

The BCS would idiots to ignore this. If nothing else, it would be funny to watch Paterno squirm when asked about the game.

Of course, the scenario that would put Pitt in the game is so far-fetched it's not worth talking about unless it actually occurs.

Miami hadn't done much of note all year, which is why that jarring squash of Va Tech was really bizarre. 

A couple weeks ago I was the first to mention the doomsday South Florida BCS scenario, but now I have an even more terrifying Big East scenario for the BCS.  This is convoluted so bear with me.  What if:

--West Virginia loses to both Pitt and South FL to finish 5-2 in league.

--South Florida loses at UConn and then beats WVU in the hurricane makeup game.

--Louisville squashes Cuse and UConn as they should.

Now you have four teams all tied at 5-2 in conf. and I have no idea who gets the tiebreaker.  WVU would have lost to both Pitt and USF so they wouldn't have a tiebreaker over those teams.  Pitt would have it over USF and WVU but U of L kicked their asses.  U of L beat Pitt but lost to USF and WVU.

If that bizarro world scenario actually happened, who wins the conference?

It would be 6-5 Pittsburgh.

Pitt and USF would both be 2-1 against co-champions, while Pitt would have the head-to-head tiebreaker with USF for beating them.

Just think Pittsburgh could be the worst team ever to go to a BCS game........

two years in a row!

Well, at least I think that's the case. If the Big East tiebreaking procedure isn't that complicated, then the Sugar Bowl would just get to take their pick.

No, it's a bit more complicated than that. If none of the teams that are tied has swept the rest of the teams, the bid goes to whoever is ranked higher in the BCS. If neither team is ranked, THEN it goes to head-to-head ranking.

But, since both teams would presumably be unranked in the BCS, yes, Pitt would get the automatic bid.

Yes, it would be Pitt. As underwhelming as that team would be (yes, even I would admit that it would not be good for the Big East), there is one match-up with a 6-5 Pitt team that would still be appealing and marketable than any match-up they could throw a 10-1 WVU team at:

Pitt v. Penn State

The BCS would idiots to ignore this. If nothing else, it would be funny to watch Paterno squirm when asked about the game.

Of course, the scenario that would put Pitt in the game is so far-fetched it's not worth talking about unless it actually occurs.

That way would probably be the only way PSU is playing Pitt as long as Joe is still there. If that scenario did happen though it is possible for it to happen...

Why doesn't Joe Pa want to play Pitt?

He's still pissed at Pitt over them spurning Paterno's idea of an all-Eastern school conference in the 1980s which would've put PSU, Pitt, Syracuse, West Virginia, Maryland, Boston College and a couple other schools whose names escape me at the moment and joining the Big East instead.

I read something today saying that the Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen is starting to push the BCS to take Oregon over Ohio State for the second at-large bid for the Fiesta Bowl. Unfortunately for him, he can't threaten to pull the conference out of the BCS like he did in 2000 like he said he would if Oregon State didn't get a BCS bid. I also believe that Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney is supposedly one of the BCS higher-ups and will probably push to get Ohio State taken as the second BCS at-large team.

There's no way Oregon is going to get the spot over Ohio State.

The only thing that may hold back OSU is that it'll be their 3rd trip to Tempe in 4 years.

There isn't any major changes that I know of, just the ACC changing it's #2 bid to the Peach Bowl instead of the Gator Bowl. Other changes are for minor bowls like the Houston, Fort Worth, and Insight Bowls but I can't remember them off the top of my head.