TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Turning around on albums.

David Bowie's Hunky Dory

In spite of having this for years, in spite of always liking it, it wasn't until this past week that I've been completely and totally floored by it. Save for one forgettable but not bad, really, song, this album is absolutely pitch perfect.

What took me so long?

It took me two listens to get into My Bloody Valentines "Loveless" and Butthole Surfers "Locust Abortion Technition". Also, about three to get into Jesus and Mary Chain's "Psychocandy" and New Orders "Technique"

Every couple of years or so, it's not been uncommon for me to relisten and re-evaluate particular works I had disliked in the past and find my opinion on it has changed, due to evolving tastes of course.

Some things I still don't understand though, like the appeal of Radiohead (see also: a couple recent AIM conversations between myself and Czech)

David Bowie's Hunky Dory

In spite of having this for years, in spite of always liking it, it wasn't until this past week that I've been completely and totally floored by it. Save for one forgettable but not bad, really, song, this album is absolutely pitch perfect.

What took me so long?

Don't I look silly for my post in the Best Albums of 2005 thread mere moments ago!

It took me a long time to really 'get' both the Stones' Exile on Main St. and Dylan's Blonde on Blonde. The latter has pretty much been on permanent rotation since I finally did get it. I'm still waiting to turn around on the Talking Heads, but I feel like I'm getting closer.

there's very little music i really love now that wasn't an acquired taste. usually it takes weeks, or months. it's kind of sad that i have very little time now to just sit down and listen to an album all the way through. it used to be that i'd buy maybe one cd a month and stick with it until i knew it well enough to really like it or not. now i usually buy 2-3 at a time, try them for one listen or a half-listen, then skip to the tracks i already like.

i think it's my ipod's fault. those things make it way too easy to listen to music and do any number of things at the same time, and i tend to not pay as much attention. i bought 'loveless' like a year ago, and i still can't tell all the tracks apart.

some albums i currently own that i haven't given full attention to:

achtung baby

ATLiens

blur

brown sugar

the college dropout

last splash

licensed to ill

like water for chocolate

liquid swords

milestones (miles davis)

my funny valentine (miles davis)

rain dogs

ready to die

reasonable doubt

the times they are a-changin'

tidal (fiona apple)

yeah. sad.

i don't get the talking heads either.

my funny valentine is probably the most underated miles davis release.

i didn't like loveless when i first heard it. but i love it now.

pavement's slanted & enchanted can be difficult for me, although i love pavement.

i didn't get the importance/significance/genius of the beatles up until a while ago. the white album is my least favorite of theres. one day i'm sure i'll turn around on that one. when i sit down & give it the time it "must" deserve.

I used to hate Slayer and The Misfits. Then I had a few listens of a couple albums, and now I'm getting the Fiend/Crimson Ghost (whatever you wanna call it) inked on my right arm, and thought about carving "SLAYER" into my thigh or something a few times for fun.

One day I'll "get" Loveless, as well as the whole shoegaze genre. Or not.

Try Ride's Nowhere, or the first two Jesus and Mary Chain albums. More accessible and typical than Loveless with a lot of the same noise, if that makes sense, and all very good.

I'm still waiting to turn around on the Talking Heads, but I feel like I'm getting closer.

Holy shit, really? It seems like you would LOVE them. Do you own any of their first five albums? Have you seen Stop Making Sense?

Dylan in general is something that took me a long while to LOVE. I always "liked" him but was not taken aback by his albums at all. Now many of them rank as classics in my book (and of course in many other's books.)

Thurston Moore's Psychic Hearts and Frank Black's first two albums are some records that I've owned since forever simply due to both men's associations with their respective bands, but all three have recently become favorites of mine.

Dinosaur Jr. seemed like typical 80s indie to me for a long time, but when those first three albums were reissued recently I had a complete revelation.

And finally... Kraftwerk. In 9th grade I thought they were AWESOME, but sort of in a novelty way. "Pocket Calculator! What a sweet song!" But now I consider them to be nearly as important to popular music as the Beatles. Probably their equals, actually.

Guest Vitamin X
Every couple of years or so, it's not been uncommon for me to relisten and re-evaluate particular works I had disliked in the past and find my opinion on it has changed, due to evolving tastes of course.

Some things I still don't understand though, like the appeal of Radiohead (see also: a couple recent AIM conversations between myself and Czech)

Ditto, on literally everything.

One day I'll "get" Loveless, as well as the whole shoegaze genre. Or not.

Try Ride's Nowhere, or the first two Jesus and Mary Chain albums. More accessible and typical than Loveless with a lot of the same noise, if that makes sense, and all very good.

Give Slowdive a try.

I'm still waiting to turn around on early Low. Everything post- Secret Name I liked instantly but Long Division and The Curtain Hits The Cast seem less inviting and almost too minimal in execution. I need a very close listen again.

From good to great.........

East River Pipe - The Gasoline Age (In hindsight this was the wrong album to get first but worth it now) East River who? Just take my word for it ok?

Nina Nastasia - The Blackened Air

Richard Hawley - More as an artist. Just had a pre-set judgement of him as Radio 2ish dullard. Not a bit of it.

Sufjan Stevens - Michigan: Appreciate over time just how well this is put together and ochestrated as one collective piece of music. I can even mostly forgive it being overlong now.

Still working on Funeral. They really pour it on with those weeping melodramatic string sections, don't they. Am I the only person who thinks of the Arcade Fire as the next phase of the Electric Light Orchestra? Listen to "Crown of Love" and tell me you don't hear it.

Funeral isn't worth it.

As for Loveless, I like it, but I doubt the day will come that I'll love it. I still think Ride's Nowhere nailed it better (not that I think it's great, either); My Bloody Valentine may've carried the genre to its logical extreme, but Nowhere has better songs. Loveless' "Only Shallow," "When You Sleep" and "Soon" are as good as advertised, at least.

I'd also have to say Blonde On Blonde by Bob Dylan. All of the Dylan songs I had heard before this had been very political, and I enjoyed his lyrics when he was using this approach. There weren't any political songs on Blonde On Blonde, and I was originally overwhelmingly dissapointed with the album.

On repeated listens whilst the album may be short on rebellious songs, his lyrics are still totally brilliant and the songs on the album (particularly Visions Of Johana) are completley awesome.