TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

2006 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Guest Princess Leena

Why not. He'll have 1000 HR's when he's finished. And 698 win shares. And a Keltner sabermetric index of 15.

A-Rod #1.

Because there are some guys who refuse to vote anyone in the first time. And there's probably one writer that hates A-Rod and will never vote for him regardless of his numbers.

Highest percentage ever was Tom Seaver, I believe, and he didn't get 100% of the votes either. As for A-Rod, it won't matter if he hits a thousand home runs - if A-Rod's perceived lack of playoff success continues, I could see a couple of writers holding that against him, saying that he "wasn't clutch." Do not underestimate the stupidity of some of the card-carrying members of the writer's association.

Nolan Ryan didn't deserve 100% of the votes.

While Nolan Ryan was far from the greatest pitcher ever, he certainly put up Hall of Fame numbers and is clearly deserving of the Hall. I think that he should have gotten 100%, as I would seriously question anyone who thought he didn't belong.

I've never understood the mentality that "he needs to wait a year." If you think he belongs, vote for him. If you don't, don't. But don't make a guy serve a year or two's penance for not being one of the 20 best players ever. That's not what the HOF is about.

Guest Princess Leena
Because there are some guys who refuse to vote anyone in the first time. And there's probably one writer that hates A-Rod and will never vote for him regardless of his numbers.

True. Jealous because he's rich and hot.

Plus, a lot of those Boston degenerates probably have votes.

I've never understood the mentality that "he needs to wait a year." If you think he belongs, vote for him. If you don't, don't. But don't make a guy serve a year or two's penance for not being one of the 20 best players ever. That's not what the HOF is about.

Why not. It should elite company to be a first ballot inductee. The very best of the best.

but that is not part of the institution. There is no footnote on a Hall of Fame plaque that says "first ballot." There's no distinction on a list of HOFers in an encyclopedia that separates the first ballot entrants. It's just somethings a small group of writers invented to make themselves feel more important about the voting.

It's really sad reading this thread, and then listening to Cowherd on ESPN radio tomorrow say that numbers are meaningless for the HOF, and if you think a player was great, they should be in.

It finally occured to me the problem with Cowherd's thinking. Let's say you are a hardcore baseball fanatic, and watch a game every single day of the baseball season. That's 180 games. There are 2,250 games in a baseball season. And that's in an age with satellite radio, satellite television, cable, etc. And Cowherd thinks you can make HOF judgements based on memory from 25-30 years ago, without statistics, when you couldn't possibly have seen 90% of the games? That's exactly why we have statistics.

Here let me steal a Stephen Colbert quote and change it up a little to make it sound like a baseball writer.

"The fact that they looked it up in a book just shows they don't get the idea of what a Hall of Famer really is. You don't look for a Hall of Famer in a book, you look for him in your gut."

Guest Princess Leena

It's really sad reading this thread, and then listening to Cowherd on ESPN radio tomorrow say that numbers are meaningless for the HOF, and if you think a player was great, they should be in.

It finally occured to me the problem with Cowherd's thinking. Let's say you are a hardcore baseball fanatic, and watch a game every single day of the baseball season. That's 180 games. There are 2,250 games in a baseball season. And that's in an age with satellite radio, satellite television, cable, etc. And Cowherd thinks you can make HOF judgements based on memory from 25-30 years ago, without statistics, when you couldn't possibly have seen 90% of the games? That's exactly why we have statistics.

I think you're heavily overestimating Cowherd.