TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Electrifyer

Problem with windows me

Guest The Electrifyer

I've had this problem for a while now and its really pissing me off. What happens is that whenever I try to shut down the computer on Windows ME, it usually doesn't. I quit every program and even log out, but it just doesn't shut down. After I click Start-> Shut Down-> Select Shut Down from the scroll down menu-> OK, it restarts the computer and I have to run scandisk or it usually turns the screen to black, but the actual computer doesn't shut down and I end up running scan disk after. The only way to shut it down right now is that if I'm lucky, the computer will shut down properly or I turn off the power bar. I would GREATLY appreciate it if somebody knew what was wrong with my computer and can help me. Thanks.

Guest RetroRob215

I have Windows 98 Plus and that used to happen to me a lot too.  Now it only happens once in a while.  I never did anything to make it stop, I figured it would just fix it self and it sort of did.  ;)

Guest areacode212

That problem is such a pain in the ass. I hate dealing with it because it could be one of a million things. If it really bothers you, I suggest just backing everything up and reformatting your HD, which, though it's boring and time-consuming, could end up making your PC run faster, free up hard drive space, etc..

If you don't want to do that, try uninstalling a bunch of unneeded applications, and see if that helps.

Guest jimmy no nose

Same problem.  The computer guys from my work told me to go into the run menu and type some thing in and try unchecking the different boxes.  It turned out that the box that needed to be unchecked for it to shut down properly was also the box that needed to be checked for the internet to connect.  Still haven't learned a way to go online and shut down my computer.

Guest 4Life

Your hardware is not compatible with Windows ME. I hate Windows ME. I recomend installing Windows 98. It's the best (aside from XP). Win 2000 and ME just suck!

Guest The Electrifyer

I don't really want to switch to Windows 98 or re-format my computer and I don't think uninstalling anything will help because this problem started from when I got my computer.

jimmy no nose, do you remember what that thing I should type in was?

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Lol. For all Bill Gates evilness, WIN XP seems to have no shutdown problems at all.

I don't really want to switch to Windows 98 or re-format my computer and I don't think uninstalling anything will help because this problem started from when I got my computer.

jimmy no nose, do you remember what that thing I should type in was?

He is probably talking about msconfig . If you get into that be careful with what you turn off.  Also.. virus scanners/firewalls can do that.  Try shutting it down.  You could also try CTRL-ALT-DEL and make sure nothing is running except I believe EXPLORER and SYSTRAY and then try shutting down.

Guest monkey

Somebody else with Windows ME I thought I was the only one.  I was having the shut down problem where it the screen just went blank but the computer never turned itself off.  I have just done a full reinstall and it seems to shut down ok now but I think I will try for Windows XP as soon as i can afford it.

Guest TUS_02

Windows XP fucked up my computer.  It wouldn't boot onto the desktop, it would just keep resetting itself.  So I reformatted and installed 2000.  It's been running like a champ since

Guest franchise632

I have the same problem with my ME, I had WIN 98 and didnt really have any problems, but i couldnt get my cable internet to work correctly with it, so I installed ME and was able to install the programs but have problems shutting down, it will look like it shuts down but there is just a cursor blinking on a black screen. The only time i can shut down and turn it off is to first try restarting my comp. Which i usually do by hitting Ctl + Alt + Del and it will shut down, once it restarts then i can shut it down usually. Total pain in the ass, so my comp just usually stays on. I have just learned to deal with it. I also get issues with with Explorer errors that shuts down my browsers. GOD DAMN YOU MICROSOFT!!!!!!

Guest UndertakerHart

Type in msconfig in the run box. Uncheck the programs that you don't need in the background. A few programs Windows needs, so be cautious.

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

I don't know if you guys have tried this, but create a shortcut on the desktop with this path name:

C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows

IIRC, THAT'S the path to the shutdown operation in 95, 98 and ME. I know for a fact that this fixes the old bug in Win 98 that caused shutdowns to fail - the one Microsoft put out a patch for. Also, Norton could be conflicting with some stuff, as could other programs. Try using that shortcut first before you do something drastic like whacking your hard drive.

And if I were going to recommend a new OS for anybody, 2000 Pro is the way to go. ME absolutely blows, 98's fine but outdated, and XP looks like it's trying to be Microsoft OS X, without all that wacky "stability" crap that comes with Mac OS X. We've been installing Win 2K all over my campus, and outside of running into conflicts with NT domains (primarily because we use Novell as a network client), they run absolutely perfectly.

LUNATIC

- Pimpim' ho's and clockin' a grip like my name was Dolemite.

Guest Singular

ME is Horrible. I have XP, but I'm not sure how to change out the OS. Does it automatically formate the HD when you change operating systems? Is there any way to preserve certain things on the HD and still change the OS?

Guest jimmy no nose
I don't know if you guys have tried this, but create a shortcut on the desktop with this path name:

C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows

I tried typing that in Run and it worked. Then when I turned the computer back on a created a shortcut for that, but it didn't work. Tried again from the run menu, didn't work. Oh well.