TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

Emo/Punk/Pop Rock stuff...

I was watching MTV last night and that "Advanced Warning" show came on. One of the bands that they introduced was a "emo/punk/pop" whatever it is called. I was thinking and I realized that this is the "new sound." On the pop radio stations or on MTV, that is always on.

Am I right? Or am I just overracting?

It's the nu-metal of today, except alot wimpier and in girls pants.

*looks at your avatar* :huh:

This has been the big trend for at least a couple years now, this emo/punk/pop thing is nothing new, but it is horrible.

Coheed & Cambria is above the emo/whatever/etc label...

Yes, it is the new 'thing' along with cheesed out pseudo-gangsta rap.

It's been that way for the last few years. Personally, I loved a lot of that music before it was trendy... If only I had kept up with my music composition, I could have capitalized in a big way. Maybe.

Coheed & Cambria is above the emo/whatever/etc label...

No, they aren't.

They aren't AS BAD as Simple Plan and others...but they are in that genre/phase.

No...kinda like how Pearl Jam was in the grunge genre cuz they made that type of music. ;)

You can't exclude them from it just because you like them. They may be better than the other shit, but it's still the same type of music. Emo/punk/pop/whiney/malewithafemalevoice/shit

Jeff Buckley was emopunk? Prince? Mick Jagger?

You obviously have no idea what youre talking about...keep to ICP records and suburban gangsta rap.

Jeff Buckley was emopunk? Prince? Mick Jagger?

You obviously have no idea what youre talking about...keep to ICP records and suburban gangsta rap.

Excuse me? who the fuck mentioned any of those guys? Just cuz I said female voice....please. I was saying the C&C lead singer had a female voice, as do most of those gay bands. Don't take that to mean every man with a female-esqe voice is emo/punk/pop, stop being such a moron and trailing off on little things I say. You are missing/avoiding my point. THEY MAKE THE SAME TYPE OF MUSIC! It sounds the same....they write songs about the same things...therefore THEY ARE IN THE SAME GENRE!

you know...like 50 Cent makes rap music....so he's considered to be in the "RAP" genre, you might disagree though.

I said, C&C was that pop/emo/shit and I was correct. End of story.

I thought Coheed and Cambria was prog-rock, what with all the mystical D and D imagery in their lyrics.

Emo whines about how heavily eye-shadowed girls with "rock" belts don't put out. I guess the modern day emo was born out of Weezer's Pinkerton CD, which stinks because I like that CD.

When I was growing up emo, which was short for emocore, referred to bands like Fugazi and Dag Nasty. Emotionally charged hardcore, not namby pamby made for MTV poseur pop like Bowling for Poop.

prog-rock or emo....depends on your definition of emo i guess. Every C&C song i've heard is about a girl or heartbreak or something to that effect. I'm not saying they are bad, but thats emo to me.

I miss the late 90s, musically. You could turn to MTV (if they were playing videos, since they had already stopped for the most part by then) and see a Korn video followed by the Goo Goo Dolls or some shit. Balance is what it's all about, and these days it's either this lame-ass pussy bullshit or... well, that's about it as far as mainstream level rock goes these days. I couldn't tell the bands apart if I was offered millions of dollars. They all seem to have the same-sounding lead singer, same song structure, everything. At least Maroon 5 was something different. Fortunately, jam bands aren't really all that viable in terms of marketing. I'll take the crap we've got now over that shit turning up on common music channels and radio stations, at least this emo stuff is worth a few good laughs.

Vince McMahon's ladder-legdrop, was it cool or what

Fuck you. Vince McMahon isn't even a wrestler. What everyone should really be talking about is Booker T's Harlem (Houston, whatever) Hangover. Dat shit was off da hook!

Thats ok, I knew you wouldn't respond, I try to get out of battles I'm losing too.

The whole emo thing has been big in this part of Texas for about three years now, just gauging from my latter high school days.

It's country music for the kids who don't like whiskey and chew.

At least they give us a lot of material to make fun of them with, the boys starving themselves, wearing girls pants and being straight edge, and the girls wearing the punk rock belts, being vegan, and acting like this makes them healthy. Let us not forget their yearning for going to "vintage" shops to buy t-shirts for ten bucks that they could get from actual thrift stores for fifty cents.

They try to be intellectual and above conformists, but they all conform to the same uniform.

All I can say is that going to a Dashboard Confessional concert is frightening. I mean, thousands of insecure girls crying along with the lyrics....wow.

Sorry duder...I dont classify musical genres by what a website tells me. :lol:

It doesn't matter what you think, the rest of the known world thinks they are emo/pop.

case closed.

Aw shucks...how can the entire known world (including 'shaggy 2 dope') AND a website be wrong? What does wikipedia say about all this?

It amazes me that people will try so hard to not be branded as liking "the hip new thing", that they will claim the "thing" they like, doesn't fall into that category for whatever lame reason.

Actually in this case....there was no reason given. even sadder.