TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Fotball 12/26 - 12/31

It's funny nobody really tries to get Pinkel fired at Mizzou though b/c they're too concerned with hunting Quinn Snyder's blood.

I've heard his job is in some danger because the boosters and alumni have felt that Mizzou has underachieved the past few years and Pinkel's standoffish attitude with them has turned them off.

I also heard that they don't want to fire both coaches in one year. They want to get rid of Snyder this year b/c of how badly the basketball team has underachieved and then they want to sack Pinkel next year.

Guest Vitamin X

Why the fuck is there a country music band playing for a game being played with teams from L.A. and Chicago.

This would have served yesterday's Oregon/Oklahoma game better. Fuckin lame.

I don't even know who starts, because they rotate in so many guys. Addai, Vincent and Carey are what I remember, but I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. I've never seen Flynn, so I have no idea what to expect from him. I wish Teke could fill me in. I don't know which Miami's going to show up either, the unstoppable one, or the team that doesn't even belong out on the field? We'll see.

LSU RBs-

Joseph Addai is the defacto starter. He was the starter for the first half of the National Championship season, in 2003, until getting hurt just before the Florida game, which as LSU's lone loss that year.

This year, he stepped up and was the most like injured Alley Broussard, whose trademark was fighting through tackles and getting every bit of extra yardage he could.

Broussard injured his ankle earlier this year and has not been in a full game since.

Shyrone Carey, who I refer to as "Superbug", is about 5'6", which is VERY short for an RB.

He tends to find holes that no one else can, although he has problems when attempting to make sharp cuts to avoid tackles. (He appears to lose his balance and fall down)

Justin Vincent was the breakout superstar of the 2003 National Championship season, as he emerged against South Carolina the week after the Florida loss. He was the MVP of the SEC Championship and Sugar Bowl that season.

However, he had a severe "Sophmore Slump" last year and moved behind both Addai and Alley Broussard on the depth chart.

He re-emerged in the offense after Addai's injury earlier this year.

If Addai is unable to start, Vincent is the most likely starter.

QBs-

Matt Flynn is the announced starter for the Peach Bowl.

Flynn has only played in about 4 games this year. Of those, by far the most impressive appearance was against North Texas, in which Flynn entered at the start of the 4th quarter, immediately threw a TD pass to Bennie Brazell (whom I refer to as "Stonehands" as he's a world-class runner but can't catch for shit), and finished 8 for 8 with 3 TDs, which were all made to different receivers.

Flynn is at least as talented as JaMarcus Russell, the injured starter, but has a different style.

Russell uses a lot of brute force, which is partially why there are so many dropped passes by the LSU WRs.

Flynn has a more traditional style, which allows him to sail the ball exactly where it needs to go. This is especially necessary when dealing with someone like Bennie Brazell, who has speed but horrible hands.

If Flynn goes down, the next QB to step in could be one of many people...

WR Skyler Green, CB Ronnie Prude (the goat of last year's Auburn and Iowa games), and P/K Chris Jackson all played QB in high school, with Jackson leading John Curtis HS to the Louisiana Class 4A Title for one,

Yes.

Once Russell was named as starter before the season, Perriloux got red-shirted.

There's no use in burning his red-shirt over one game.

Edited by teke184

Man what a pathetic display by Northwestern. They have UCLA on the ropes in the first quarter and then just piss it all away and can't do shit for the rest of the game.

Guest Vitamin X

HA! Take that, Northwestern. Punk bitches. Stop trying to come back, it wasn't going to happen.

Make that 50-38 UCLA. No, this is a football game, not the basketball game.

Well, thanks to the NW special teams unit, I got totally jewed out of my cover on the halftime line.

Northwestern just needed to stay within 11, but they had to let UCLA return both onside kicks for TDs. You'd think they'd at least learn from the first one, and kick the second one toward the sideline a little bit.

Well that "piece of shit" conference as someone put it earlier in the year is now 4-1 in bowl games with 3 of those 4 wins coming against teams that they were underdogs against.

I feel your pain, Spurrier's titanic tank job in the second half just cost me a shit load of money. My roommate isn't thrilled either since I woke up to late to take Virginia & the points earlier today. :ph34r:

Flynn's doing pretty good right now...

He's sure as Hell more mobile than JaMarcus Russell and he was able to sail a pass right into Buster Davis's hands for a 12 yard gain a second ago.

TOUCHDOWN!!!! FLYNN TO BUSTER DAVIS!!!!!!

(Originally posted in wrong thread)

NFL's on Sunday's and the ACC should be playing the Big Ten.

Meaning ACC #2 vs Big Ten #3 or something like that.

Edited by Kingofthe909

Why are there no bowls that match up the Big XII and ACC? Or Big XII and Big East at that.

Geographically those bowls don't make a lot of sense. You get a lot of bowls in Texas and a lot on the east coast, not too many worthwhile ones in between. The Gator Bowl starting next year will have the ACC #3 vs. the Big XII #4 two years out of four, with the ACC #3 playing the Big East #2 the other two years. It's part of a bowl sharing arrangement with the Sun Bowl, I think.

Flynn to Addai~!

I think Miami is officially bent over right now, as it's 20-3 going into the half.

Edited by teke184

I'll refrain from expressing how happy I am...

I really thought they'd be in serious danger of GETTING humiliated, not humiliating Miami.

What a dissapointing game, unless your an LSU fan.

Speaking of dissapointing, here's tommorrow's games.

Car Care Bowl - South Florida vs. N.C. State

History

2004: Boston College 37, North Carolina 24

2003: Virginia 23, Pittsburgh 16

2002: Virginia 48, #15 West Virginia 22

Liberty Bowl - Fresno State vs. Tulsa

Recent History

2004: #10 Louisville 44, #9 Boise State 40

2003: #22 Utah 17, Southern Miss 0

2002: TCU 17, #24 Colorado State 3

2001: Louisville 28, #20 BYU 10

2000: Colorado State 22, #25 Louisville 17

1999: #17 Southern Miss 23, Colorado State 17

1998: #10 Tulane 41, BYU 27

Houston Bowl - #14 TCU vs. Iowa State

History

2004: Colorado 33, UTEP 28

2003: Texas Tech 38, Navy 14

2002: Oklahoma State 33, Southern Miss 23

2001: Texas A&M 28, TCU 9

2000: East Carolina 40, Texas Tech 27

Iowa State should be able to beat TCU. Besides the Houston Bowl looks like it has been pretty nice to the Big XII. Man the Big XII might actually win that bowl challenge cup. But Texas would have to beat USC to sink the Pac 10's winning percentage b/c they only have 5 teams in and 3 of them have won.

The other bowls I really don't care much for.

Tulsa should win if Fresno State still has it shut down after the USC loss. Hopefully they've actually rebounded.