TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iggymcfly

Iggy's College Hoops Rankings for 01/16/05

I was going to just put these in the new college basketball thread, but since there isn't one up yet, I figured I'd just go ahead and put them up here again.

January 16, 2006

1. Duke 16-0 (1)
  2. Florida 16-0 (2)
  3. Texas 14-2 (6)
  4. Pittsburgh 14-0 (12)
  5. Memphis 15-2 (4)
  6. Villanova 11-2 (3)
  7. Connecticut 14-1 (5)
  8. Illinois 16-1 (9)
  9. Gonzaga 13-3 (11)
  10. Washington 14-2 (16)
  11. NC State 14-2 (17)
  12. Wisconsin 14-2 (18)
  13. Michigan State 14-4 (22)
  14. Ohio State 12-2 (7)
  15. Indiana 10-3 (8)
  16. West Virginia 12-3 (19)
  17. Louisville 13-3 (14)
  18. UCLA 14-3 (10)
  19. George Washington 12-1 (20)
  20. Iowa 13-4 (23)
  21. Tennessee 11-2 (13)
  22. Syracuse 15-2 (NR)
  23. Michigan 11-3 (25)
  24. North Carolina 10-3 (15)
  25. Xavier 11-2 (NR)
Dropped out: Wake Forest (21), Boston College (24)

Just missing the cut: Maryland, Bucknell, Boston College, Cincinnatti, Northern Iowa

Texas and Pittsburgh both passed UConn, because they got wins which made their overall resume better than UConn's. Pittsburgh just equaled Villanova's best win on the season by beating Louisville on the road, and at this point there overall schedule is just about as good as UConn's whose best win after the Gonzaga game is probably at home over Cincy. Before the UL game, you could say Pitt was just untested, but now the only major difference between Pitt and UConn is UConn's ugly home loss to a mediocre Marquette team.

Likewise, Texas now has better wins than anyone in the country outside of Duke, beating WVU and Iowa at neutral sites, Memphis on the road, and now Villanova at home. In that light, the only way to characterize the Tennessee loss is that it was a fluke due to Texas being unable to deal with the embarrassment of the Duke loss.

And if Texas really is the third best team in the country, (which I think they are now), then why should I punish Nova for losing to them by three on the road? The Wildcats really did all they could be expected to do, and I see no reason to believe that UConn would have done any better in the same situation. To be fair, Villanova and UConn are extremely close right now, and I could see either one being placed over the other, but right now, I think the Wildcats are just a tiny bit better.

Oh, and finally, I had the wrong previous rank up for UConn before. They were actually 5th going into last week, so they only dropped two spots.