TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology

Game comes out on Wednesday.

By the way, I take back everything bad I said about this game. It turns out the Alpha 3 concern was taken care of a long time ago. This looks like a great package, actually. 7 games.

I hope Reverse Dramatic Battle is included. That shit is fucking hard on PSP!

"You have fists of God!"

I was surprised the price was $29.99 (instead of the usual budget price of $20), but Alpha 3 looks and feels better than I remembered it ever being. Unlocked the Arranged Alpha 3 (which is basically Upper).

There is no Reverse Dramatic Battle, but each of the Alpha games includes Training, Survival, and Dramatic Battle. Dramatic Battle is you and either a 2nd player or a computer partner versus a few computer opponents. You can pick your computer partner except for Alpha 3, which pairs you up automatically.

Alpha 1 is basically the same. The arranged music from the PS1 game is missing, there's no ability to select the Ryu/Ken vs. Bison original dramatic battle from the main menu, but the secret characters are available without a code in all modes but arcade.

The Alpha 3s are missing a some of the PS1 modes, like World Tour, but all the PS1 characters are selected in the Arranged Alpha 3, even Guile.

Pocket Fighter is missing Running Battle (which is just Survival, which seems odd that its missing), Free Battle, and Edit Fighter from the PS1 version.

Dear lord. You can turn the balance changes on and off to your liking. Pro-gasm. I wish they were labelled, but seriously, what attention to detail. David Sirlin's hands are all over this.

I played Alpha and Alpha 3 last night... its buttery smooth, though I am painfully aware that I am out of practice (I couldn't pull off a single Alpha Counter), even though I went through Alpha with Ryu and never lost. I played survival mode, and that was fun until Bison's cheesiness killed it for me.

I like what I have seen so far, more to come later.

The ads on GameFAQs make no sense. They're showing sprites and backgrounds from the SF3s. And while you could consider the time the Alphas came out the "golden years", the Alphas are relatively late additions to the SF series compared to the time when *everyone* played the SF games (about from SF2 to SSF2T).

Rendclaw: Be aware that there is only one Alpha counter per character in SFA, and in 3 they're done a little differently.

Oh, and I thought Gem Fighter lost the PS1 character edit--actually, every game has its own color editor built in as a special option, so it would be redundant.

However, what do I need to do to unlock those extra ISMs in Hyper Street Fighter Alpha?

EDIT: nevermind. I found an FAQ on it. Hit up GameFAQs and look in the FAQ section (not codes).

There's more stuff in here I didn't realize was there. Wish Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 let you select your level of super by the strength of your attack button (like how Fierce in Alpha 3 did Level 3, Strong did Level 2, Jab Level 1)? That's in. Want to turn off alpha counters? You can do that too.

The bonus ISMs in Hyper Alpha are as follows:

Select Alpha 3 version

On the Mode select, you need to hold start on one of the modes and press left or right, then select the mode.

Normal: Gives you Vampire, which includes chain combos and guard reversals

Mazi: Gives you SF3 mode, which allows you to parry

Saikyo: Gives you "true" Classic versions. Only works for SF2 fighters, but allows them access to SF2 properties and exploits.

Classic: Vs. Mode. It's lame. No super jumps, chain combos, dashes, aerial raves, etc.

The ads on GameFAQs make no sense. They're showing sprites and backgrounds from the SF3s. And while you could consider the time the Alphas came out the "golden years", the Alphas are relatively late additions to the SF series compared to the time when *everyone* played the SF games (about from SF2 to SSF2T).

Yes, very late additions.... Alpha came out in 1995, if I remember right.

Rendclaw: Be aware that there is only one Alpha counter per character in SFA, and in 3 they're done a little differently.

Oh I remember... hell I still have the Alpha Strategy guide I borrowed from a friend. I just forgot how, exactly.... I just need to re-incorporate it into my playing style again. When I played Ryu back in the day, no one could touch me, on Alpha or Alpha 2.

Believe it or not, the strategy guide for this is very well done. It tells you what each revision of each game means (when you hit R2+options), and explains what each character needs to do in a match to win. Then of course, requisite combos, etc.

I heard it was missing the "Upper" fighters, though. Right?

Does it explain what the stars all mean in the dispwitch settings?

Yeah, but for some reason that doesn't bother me. It does not say what each star does, but it does say what each arcade revision (set of stars) does.