TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iggymcfly

College Hoops 01/30 through 02/13

There wasn't a new thread yet, so I figured I'd just form one and put my rankings in there. DragonLordKaiba can always just add the RPI and conference standings later on.

Anyways, here are the new rankings.

Iggy's Rankings for January 30, 2005

(previous week's rankings in parenthesis)

1. Duke 19-1 (1)
  2. Memphis 19-2 (3)
  3. Connecticut 18-1 (4)
  4. Illinois 19-2 (7)
  5. Texas 17-3 (2)
  6. Gonzaga 17-3 (8)
  7. Villanova 15-2 (6)
  8. Pittsburgh 17-1 (10)
  9. Tennessee 14-3 (14)
  10. Florida 18-2 (5)
  11. Michigan 15-3 (21)
  12. Michigan State 16-5 (11)
  13. George Washington 16-1 (17)
  14. West Virginia 15-4 (13)
  15. Ohio State 14-3 (16)
  16. Georgetown 14-4 (18)
  17. UCLA 17-4 (19)
  18. Iowa 16-5 (20)
  19. NC State 16-4 (15)
  20. Wisconsin 15-5 (24)
  21. LSU 14-5 (25)
  22. Washington 16-4 (9)
  23. Northern Iowa 19-3 (NR)
  24. Indiana 12-5 (12)
  25. Boston College 16-4 (NR)
Dropped out: Maryland (22), Syracuse (23)

Close: Bucknell, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Syracuse, Iona

I'll just move what I posted before here.

RPI Numbers for each Team (These numbers become Increasingly Important as the Weeks go by at this stage, so pay attention to them.)

RPI of each Conference (Good numbers to look at, as well. Escpecially if you're rooting for a Bucknell, Iona, Hofstra, or UAB to get an At Large Bid)

Also, my congratulations to Northern Iowa for getting into the Top 25 of both polls. They, and Missouri Valley deserve the honor.

Bracket Buster annoucements to come as soon as I get my hands on them.

Also, starting on Wednesday, I'm going to begin to post my version of the Bracket from Seeds 1 - 16 for each Region, as to give these threads a little bit more life.

Here's the AP Top 25 since that's out as well.

Week 13 AP Top 25

1. Connecticut (65) 18-1 1,793

2. Duke (7) 19-1 1,727

3. Memphis 19-2 1,638

4. Villanova 15-2 1,548

5. Gonzaga 17-3 1,465

6. Illinois 19-2 1,414

7. Texas 17-3 1,355

8. Florida 18-2 1,287

9. Pittsburgh 17-1 1,284

10. George Washington 16-1 1,050

11. West Virginia 15-4 1,013

12. Michigan State 16-5 933

13. Tennessee 14-3 827

14. UCLA 17-4 797

15. Boston College 16-4 639

16. Washington 16-4 630

17. Georgetown 14-4 599

18. N.C. State 16-4 529

19. Oklahoma 13-4 471

20. Ohio State 14-3 464

21. Michigan 15-3 440

22. Indiana 12-5 289

23. Iowa 16-5 288

24. LSU 14-5 269

25. Northern Iowa 19-3 184

Michigan's way too low at 21, as they look like they might be the best team in the Big Ten right now. I didn't expect the AP to put them up at 11 where I had them, but they should at least be in the 15-17 range. No way on earth should they be behind a team like Boston College who hasn't beaten a Top 25 team all year long, and who was three points away from getting swept by Georgia Tech.

They got consideration. They moved on to my close list and I basically have them at #27 right now. However, they also lost to Nebraska and Missouri, and when they played West Virginia, they got raped by 24 at home. Oh, and outside of Texas, they haven't beaten a ranked team all year.

At this point, I'd think of them more as a Marquette kind of team that managed one big win then a consistent contender. They just don't have as good of an all-around resume as a team like Indiana or Northern Iowa.

They got consideration. They moved on to my close list and I basically have them at #27 right now. However, they also lost to Nebraska and Missouri, and when they played West Virginia, they got raped by 24 at home. Oh, and outside of Texas, they haven't beaten a ranked team all year.

At this point, I'd think of them more as a Marquette kind of team that managed one big win then a consistent contender. They just don't have as good of an all-around resume as a team like Indiana or Northern Iowa.

I agree with everything you said except that the WVU game wasn't at home.

I think with Michigan it's mostly that people flat out just don't care about them anymore and are ignoring them in hope they go away.

I was about to say the best team in the Big 10 is Iowa, but then remembered MSU just waxed them by 30 recently. The Big 10 is just a warzone, I bet the winner ends up at like 10-6 or 11-5. Or are there 18 conf. games?

U of L loses another tonight, to Nova on the road this time. What's sad is that we played about as well as we have all year.

I agree with everything you said except that the WVU game wasn't at home.

If it's in the state of Oklahoma, it's a home game. It's no different than when the Cougars play home games in Spokane over Christmas.

And the Big Ten is ridiculously close right now. If I were to name the best team right now, I'd have to give the edge to Illinois, but right now Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan are all tied for first with Ohio State, Michigan State, and Indiana only a game back.

Nova beat U of L tonight 79-73. They've got Marquette later this week at the Pavillion before next week's games, the Holy War against Saint Joseph's at the Palestra, then the UConn game at the Wachovia Center.

If I'm Nova, I actually worry more about the Holy War rather than UConn because Nova will be ready for the UConn game, #1 ranked team in a nationally televised game. The Holy War will pretty much be St. Joe's Super Bowl (believe me, Saint Joseph's people fucking HATE Villanova) and Nova could possibly get caught looking ahead towards the UConn game.

For those of us who care (and I'm assuming all of the regular posters do.), the main Bracket Buster pairings have been announced. And this year's main event/feature match is between...

#25 NorthernIowaJoshY.GIF Vs. BucknellBison.GIF

This matchup is probably going to be one of most underrated games of the year. Bucknell is looking to secure its NCAA Bid in a Conference that offers no gurantees. While Northern Iowa inside of a conference that its making its final push to finally become a Major Conference in the eyes of the America, is looking for another big win to improve its seeding aspirations (There is a distinict possibility that this team can make it up to the 4 Line.)

Ironically enough with a Super Strong Big East that may take more than 25% of the 34 At-Large Bids, the non-Power Conferences are looking to snatch a big piece of the pie this year (escpecially since the SEC, Pac 10 and Big 12 may only take as little as 6 - 7 at large bids). When you take out the Atlantic 10 (1 - 2 At larges ) and the MVC (2 - 3 at Larges), there could be as many as 6 Bids up for grabs if eveything goes the way I think it may go (Big East plateaus at 7 At Larges, Big Ten gets 6, ACC gets 5, and everything else going as it should), the Bracket Buster weekend may become the critical weekend of the season if you're an Iona, George Mason, Old Dominion, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee, what you do in this nationally televised game may become what gets you, or gets your heart broken.

Now as for the other TV matchups.

• Bucknell at Northern Iowa

• George Mason at Wichita State

• Missouri State at Wisconsin-Milwaukee

• Louisiana Tech at Southern Illinois

• Buffalo at Iona

• Fresno State at Creighton

• Akron at Nevada

• Butler at Kent State

• Marist at Old Dominion

• Northwestern State at Utah State

• Samford at Ohio

• Albany at Virginia Commonwealth

• Northern Arizona at Western Kentucky

That NIU game is going to be huge for Bucknell. They're kind of borderline right now, and playing in the Patriot League, they don't get any real chance to show their worth. This is about their only real chance this season to leap into the Top 25.

Honestly, with their resume, I'd think getting into the NCAAs would be a given either way, but this will definitely give them a great chance to get some national respect.

I have to say, I'm actually really interested in that game. Bucknell's been in the "close" list on my Top 25 forever, and I've ben dying to see what they'd do against a good team. Northern Iowa should be a perfect test for them.

Nova beat U of L tonight 79-73. They've got Marquette later this week at the Pavillion before next week's games, the Holy War against Saint Joseph's at the Palestra, then the UConn game at the Wachovia Center.

If I'm Nova, I actually worry more about the Holy War rather than UConn because Nova will be ready for the UConn game, #1 ranked team in a nationally televised game. The Holy War will pretty much be St. Joe's Super Bowl (believe me, Saint Joseph's people fucking HATE Villanova) and Nova could possibly get caught looking ahead towards the UConn game.

As one of the people here who know about the Holy War, I'm going to say that they will never look past that game. It's by far Nova's biggest rivalry game and I think that they'll be as up for that as for UConn. The other Big 5 games would be the ones that Nova could look past (although there's no other good team in the lot this year).

Guest Princess Leena
Honestly, with their resume, I'd think getting into the NCAAs would be a given either way, but this will definitely give them a great chance to get some national respect.

With their resume at the end of season, I'm not so sure. They can't afford a single loss in conference play. I don't see them winning at Northern Iowa.

It'd be cool to see the MVC finally be considered a major conference. Right now it's listed as being the #6 conf. in the country behind the Big 10, Big East, ACC, SEC, and Big 12. It's actually AHEAD of the Pac 10.

Thing is, at best the MVC will likely be in the nebulous borderline area along with the Atlantic 10, etc. Some good teams that make the 2nd round and all that, but not many contenders. Actually the A 10 is pretty solid, given that UMass, Temple, St. Joes, and Xavier have all made regional finals in the past 10 years.

With their resume at the end of season, I'm not so sure. They can't afford a single loss in conference play. I don't see them winning at Northern Iowa.

I agree with you on this one Leena. The Patriot Leauge is miserable with an RPI of 22, and an OOC record Under .500 (40 - 57 making it approximately 41 Percent), that number right there is bad number, as it puts that Conference right on the 3rd Tier of the Conferences, which means that unless a fluke happens, one team is getting to the dance out of that conference.

Not to mention that Bucknell has an RPI of 34, which usually means that if the sesason ended today they would go to the dance. But what happens when your Conference's second place team sports an RPI that is 138 below yours? (The Team with the next best RPI is 101 below that one, and would still be a bad loss if they lose to them) Yeah, I would cringe too. Bucknell still has half of its conference season to go. And look at the RPI numbers they will be facing in Conference

327 @ Army

283 @ Colgate

241 American

135 @ Holy Cross

242 @ Lafayette

172 Lehigh

327 Army

These numbers are ghastly, overall. Just by having to play these teams they're subjecting themselces to an RPI Drain even if they do win. God forbid should they lose anyone on this list (Even Holy Cross is a bad loss, escpecially in Feburary), it may take away any at-large hopes Bucknell has.

Not to mention that Bucknell still has the Conference Tournament it has to go through. Thankfully for them, they will have the Home Court Advantage by far, so that should make the games easy for them. However, it cannot be stressed enough how big the Northern Iowa game is for Bucknell. Should they win that game, as long as they don't lose their final 2 games at home, they're in the tournament. Otherwise, they better hope they run the table, so the selection committee can't somehow take it away from them.

Folks. It's is official. The Number 25 Spot on the AP Poll is cursed for the 2005 - 2006 Season.

Nothern Iowa falls to Creighton by a score of 63 - 55. Now while Creighton is NOWHERE NEAR a Bad loss this year (or most years) it's got to be a humbling experience for the Panthers. Lets see how they respond to such with their next game.

Guest Princess Leena

It was at Creighton. The Blue Jays were favorites to win that, especially since they beat the Panthers at their place as well. The loss doesn't hurt N. Iowa much. As long as they don't lose like half of their remaining games, they're in the tourney. While Creighton did need a win like this to help their at-large status as they didn't play a great non-conference schedule this year.

Of course a sweep like this helps Creighton, but with their numbers being where they are, they would still be in excellent shape for an At-Large bid even if they lost tonight. As long as they don't lose to Evansville or Indiana State, they would definetely make (and are most likely going to make) the big Dance.

Well, Georgetown continues to roll, proving that the win the Duke was not a fluke at all, as it beats the living crap out of DePaul 64 - 44, proving that there are jobbers in this year's edition of the Big East, besides South Florida. To be honest with you, Georgetown reminds me of Villanova, of last year, not so much the guard play, as the way their season has played out. They like Villanova had the potential to be ranked, but were caught in a streak of mediorcity with a couple of losses they never should have gotten, but they somehow kept their record above .500, and continued to eek out wins where they could. Then they get to their Marquee game of the season, and kick ass, and have rolled ever since.

One has to wonder can Georgetown put together a similar run this year.

B.C just got freaking screwed. Sheldon Williams killed someone under the basket attempting a layup, and no foul was called. Now its a 3 point lead and Duke has the ball. Game over.

B.C just got freaking screwed. Sheldon Williams killed someone under the basket attempting a layup, and no foul was called. Now its a 3 point lead and Duke has the ball. Game over.

I saw that game. It has gotta suck that Boston College couldn't even get the right call aganist Duke, even at home. However, Boston College really should've attempted the 3 Point Shot at that point, cause that ball wasn't going in after Sheldon Williams committed that foul. But seriously, Williams had ZERO Business on the Free Throw Line at that point. That, and the Villanova "Traveling" Call are the reasons why people accuse Refs of having an ACC Bias.

Scratch that...More like a Tobacco Road Bias.

Guest Princess Leena

Ugh... the many haters who always complain that Duke gets all the calls have lots of fuel after that one. :P

Well OU wins their 5th straight game and now are on a collision course with Kansas for second place in the Big XII. I don't think they have a shot against KU but we'll see.

Dude, it's just Kansas and they are pretty weak this year. As far as that BC/Duke game goes, I was more mystified that BC drove for a pointless layup instead of going for a much needed 3. People act shocked that the officials would side with Duke.

Another Big Saturday of College Hoops. Here is what's on National TV.

CBS

#1 UConnHuskies.GIF Vs. #22 95023.jpg at 1:00 PM

ESPN

NotreDameFightingIrish2.GIF Vs. LouisvilleCardinals7.GIF at 12:00 PM

TexasAMAggies.GIF Vs. #8 TexasLonghorns4.GIF at 2:00 PM

ESPN2

SouthernIllinoisSalukis3.GIF Vs. WichitaStateShockers2.GIF at 12:05 PM

DaytonFlyers.GIF Vs. NCCharlotte49rs5.GIF at 2:00 PM

DetroitMercyTitans.GIF Vs. IllinoisChicagoFlames.GIF at 4:00 PM

UtahUtes3.GIF Vs. NewMexicoLobos.GIF at 6:00 PM

KentuckyWildcats2.GIF Vs. #7 FloridaGators2.GIF at 9:00 PM

Plus, whatever is on your Regional Networks.

Anyone who thinks this Duke team is an all time great team is delusional. Squeaking by a jobber like Va Tech at home? FSU? I don't think I'd really take Duke right now against any team in the top 10 aside from a really banged up Florida.

Man, that U of L/ND game was awesome today. Dean's buzzer beating 3 to tie it was just amazing and a potential season saver for U of L. Now two things are needed: 1. Win a few more games to make the conf. tourney at least (I'd say about 18-19 wins). 2. Win a game or two at MSG to reach 20 wins. I can't see any way the committee leaves out a 20 win Rick Pitino team.