TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

Writer assistant from Smackdown writes to Meltzer

The whole "pissing on his grave" idea sounds too mundane for WWE creative.

My prediction: Orton uses stock footage of Eddie to interview him in hell. The fx guys can matte in some nice flame effects on old footage, and Eddie can end up wearing a different shirt in each piece of footage.

High-larious, no?

In hell, the only thing to wear is WWE merchandise.

Guest Dr Stupid

Since wwe.com are into kayfabe interviews and such, what about a weekly Eddie Blog: From Hell

Guest karlitoapple

Whatever, I'll believe that people want out of WWE when they actually do leave. Maybe some will leave or maybe they won't. Who knows how much time these wrestlers have remaining on their contracts. Some deals might be up next month, then again some deals might still have a year or more remaining on them. You just never know. Wrestlers often change their minds once cash is thrown their way. Some will probably forget everything by the time their contracts come up.

WWE may not even be concerned about losing some workers. If anyone leaves there's always somebody out there waiting to take their spot no matter what. With the way the WWE roster is today there's only a few names that I can think of who would hurt WWE if they left. Hell, some of these wrestlers might actually find themseleves in the unemployment line long before their contracts expire.

Just a thought? The Texas Stadium event where Flair dropped the NWA belt to Kerry Von Erich was on the heels of one of the Von Erich brothers passing away. Do you think THAT was exploitive? I mean they did put 40,000 something people in seats that day. It might not have happened otherwise and you gotta KNOW somebody made some coin off it... just saying.

I don't understand the point of this.

If they explicitly use the death of a brother, then of course it is exploitation. The question about the Orton thing isn't really about exploitation, though. The WWE is most certainly exploiting Eddies death and has been for months, that's not the debate. The debate is whether or not they are doing it in good taste, and the level of acceptibility and consciousness and consideration that is surrounding the use of Eddies name after death. A lot of what the WWE is doing is in bad taste (pretty much everything the WWE does is in bad taste). And then there is the other question of whether or not Eddie would have "wanted it". You can't really answer that last question, but there are significant points that say Eddie wouldn't have liked someone saying he was in hell.

On WOL someone made the point (I believe it was Konnan) that to say Eddie Guerrero is in hell is particularly heinous because Eddie was a proud Christian and believer in God. Here is a guy who, by many accounts, would go around and talk issues of faith with others and tried to put a positive light on things, esp. in regards to the lord. Do you think a guy that was such a proud Christian would like someone else saying he was in hell? Also, Konnan talked about how after Art Barrs death someone wanted to include it in part of a storyline or match or something, and Eddie was part in saying "No". These two things especially would suggest that there is a certain amount of disrepect being done to the name of Eddie Guerrero. Now, I don't really mind. I'm not personally offended cause the dude is dead and has more things to worry about than that. But there is no doubt what the WWE is doing is exploitative and more importantly is done in bad taste. Is your "just a thought" in anyway related to that?

I'm just working it out for myself here. I think doing a tribute show like they did was fine. But I'm coming around to the idea of including him in the storyline really isn't all that kosher. At least the way thay have used him in the storyline thus far. It'll suck even worse if the heel Orton goes and says all that stuff and they goes over at Mania. Cuz who knows what they will have Orton say after THAT. Sigh.

A tribute show is one thing - like the Von Erich show. No one said anything bad about the WWE when they did the Owen show or the Eddy shows.

That's not the problem - the problem starts to be the constant references to "Doing it for Eddie" and the "Spirit of Eddie" giving Rey #2 and so on and all that.

and then adding Orton's pathetic attempts at cheap heat off Eddie's death just to get "Mr. Negative Charisma" over

THAT is the problem - not someone doing a tribute show

A tribute show is one thing - like the Von Erich show. No one said anything bad about the WWE when they did the Owen show or the Eddy shows.

That's not the problem - the problem starts to be the constant references to "Doing it for Eddie" and the "Spirit of Eddie" giving Rey #2 and so on and all that.

and then adding Orton's pathetic attempts at cheap heat off Eddie's death just to get "Mr. Negative Charisma" over

THAT is the problem - not someone doing a tribute show

I don't know how I feel about it either way if there is money being made on that persons name. Ortons lack of charisma is irrelevant. However, if there is still money being made for Eddies family could we look the other way if it meant his wife and kids would be taken care of?

Guest DanNJ316

This is Dan Wahlers, I wrote the column on WO.com that has been referenced in this thread. Some have questioned the validity of the e-mail I published from a Smackdown writer's assistant in my column on Thursday. I can understand why there would be questions on whether it was legitimate. It's easy for someone on the internet to write someone else, and say they are someone they're not. But I wanted to make it clear that this e-mail was 100% real. I have spoken with this person numerous times in the past, and he has been a reliable source of information for me. I won't be publishing his name as someone in this thread suggested, because that's just something you don't do. I'm sure you can understand the reasons why. If you don't I would be happy to explain them to you. But keep this mind. Dave Meltzer is the most well respected wrestling journalist there is, he has a reputation to uphold. I can assure you he would not run something like that if he wasn't sure it was legitimate. Hopefully that clears up the questions some of you had. If there are any other questions, I would be happy to address them if I can.

Guest DanNJ316
Yeah, Dan, RavishingRickRudo here, Washington Post.

What the fuck does a writers assistant do?

They do exactly what their job title implies. They assist with the writing of the TV shows. The writers like Brian Gewertz or David Lagana might lay out the different segments, and different storylines on a given show. The assistants are the ones that often times write the words for a certain wrestler's promo, or what have you. They are the ones that do the dirty work so to speak. Just like on a show like a CSI you have the writers that come up with the storylines, and storyboards for the shows. Then you have the people that write the scripts, and the actual dialogue that it used on the show. That is the main thing the writer's assistants in WWE do, plus I imagine other less gloryifying things like refilling Stephanie's coffee.

Guest DanNJ316
Ok, we're talking about wrestling storylines, right?

How can so much effort and so many people be responsible for so little?

Ok, now to the serious stuff.

Waylers?

Wahlers?

Wawahs?

How can so much effort and so many people be responsible for so little? That's a great question. I personally think it has to do with the types of people they hire, going out of their way to hire people with little or no wrestling knowledge. I often wonder how people with no knowledge of wrestling can write about it, and I guess we see the answer in color every Monday and Friday night.

Wah-lers...it all depends on where you're from. People butcher the pronunciation all the time, I'm not sure why.

Most tv shows have a core staff of writers and producers who come up with the outlines for an episode. The assistants (or freelancers) in those cases usually write the final drafts and such.

What surprises me is that WWE has them at all (or pretends to have them), given that most of their storylines have plotholes, flaws, and other errors that most TV shows would resolve before the script ever reaches the actors' hands.

And while the letter may be legit (which would only be suspicious because every wrestling promotion has a top prioity goal of lying to its fans), having a writer's assistant bitch about the WWE is like a janitor wanting two mops to clean a floor. For all we know, this "assistant" could just be getting Ace's coffee, or dressing up Triple H in those suits.

The problem isn't the people we hear vocally complain about the product, because they can be ignored and dismissed or only given time because the WWE knows that they are harmless in the end. It's the people causing the problem who refuse to listen. Sure, this writer could complain, but Vince doesn't know who it is, so he can just axe all of the assistants, citing their "basic stupidity and rebellious nature" to the company. Same with the wrestlers. And it's probably not true that they are unworthy of the position, but when the guy on top owns everything, what can you do?

Yeah, Dan, RavishingRickRudo here, Washington Post.

What the fuck does a writers assistant do?

I was going to answer this a few days ago but I thought you were being sarcastic.

Did you see that script that was posted a while back?

Yes, which made my curiousity grow even more because it was so thin and simple. It's fucking wrestling, it doesn't require a dozen people to write it. Of course, when the head of creative is Stephanie McMahon, I imagine it's blown up so she can have something to do and subordinates to boss around.

A lot of guys are simply fed up with the McMahon way, and Vince is going to get that message when it comes time for contract renewal time.

Yeah yeah, it's all talk. Every single one of them will sign new deals and bend over the table for it.

This reminds me of how Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko, and Saturn described on how they left WCW. It will probably be the same way if anyone decides leaving WWE. A lot of guys will talk about it, and plan it... but the closer it gets more guys will think it is not a good idea and decide to stay. By the time it actually happens maybe 3 or 4 guys actually go through with it and leave.