TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Are we trying to build a prison?

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Whimsical System of a Down reference aside, I had this idea as I was climbing into bed and didn't want to sit on it till morning.

In Munich's retirement rant, he talked about the JL and the JLCC a bit, calling the JL "prison-like" and including this statement at the end:

The JLCC in General – Would you like to know why you guys are losing writers left and right?  Don’t insult your talent and go out of your way to make the stay in the JL the tedious task that it shouldn’t be.  Whoever started the “JL’ers love the cock” should take a look in the mirror..or something.  What are you guys doing?  Making sure that your experience in the JL has to better than the people down there now?  At this current pace and attitude, it wouldn’t shock me to see the JL die like the ML did.  Soon you’ll have five active guys and two match cards.  Give the kids a break.

Now, I talk to a lot of you on AIM, and so I tend to think I have a pretty solid outlook into how you guys feel about the JL.  The fact that we've also had 5 new guys sign up over the last 2 weeks as well as a few vets return brightens the JL's immediate future immensely.

But hey, I'm not everyone.  Maybe Munich's right about some things.  I think it would be cool to find out.

In any case, I'm giving everyone in the JL carte-blanche to talk/bitch/rant about whatever pisses you off in the fed. or just plain could use improvement.  We want to hear your complaints if you've got em, and respond appropriately to make the JL experience as good as it can be.  I think we the JLCC are doing a pretty good job lately of playing guiding hand for you guys (and gal) lately--Metal was one of the best shows we've had in recent history, period--but fire away with anything and everything you've got.  You won't be punished, unless you call me Edwin DumbPhisto, because I really would expect something a bit wittier than that.

(Oh, one request: please don't ask for a hardcore title or tag titles.  Anything but that again.  Heh heh.)

Go to!

Guest crusen86

Yeah, but say anything wrong and I'll job you for life like the apparent dictator I am.

Guest TheBostonStrangler

It's the JL. You're gonna lose writers. It's a training league for a reason. If you can't cut it, this is where you discover that. You guys (being Crusen, Edwin, and King) have done the best job that I can remember of a JLCC team. Keep it up.

*puts his "Strangler for CC" signs away for a while*

Guest Renegade
the “JL’ers love the cock”

I dont know where that started, and i dont get either.......

Guest Insane Clown Dan

Well, not having two shows a week would help.

Oops. That just got completely ignored. Silly me.

Guest Sydney_Sky

Well.. the whole JL'ers love the cock thing really isn't too insulting .. since I'm a female, I usually, about 75% of the time... love the cock. ;)

Anyway.

I'd say.. if there was one thing that really did get to me, it would be the fact that sometimes there are inconsistancies in the cards. Like.. my title shot for example. I told y'all I couldn't do Metals..and so, my title shot, according to the card I was going to win the title shot in .. said it would be done the next Crimson.. which would have been perfect. Suddenly it's on Metal and I am screwed. (Though thanks to the lovely Frost, I won anyway ..) The point was I would have liked to win by my own hand.

I sort of agree with someone who already mentioned this. One show a week would be nice. I'm busy IRL, and though I love this fed.. I can't always devote countless hours to my matches. I simply don't have the time.

Blah, enough of that. I have to somehow finish my current match before work. ;P

All hail the queen of everything. Hee hee.

Guest Tod deKindes

We should keep Crimson as the weekly saturday show, that way everybody would have a full week to write their matches, therefore there would be a HELL of a lot less no-shows.

Metal could remain, though it could be on every two weeks. Put all the big matches on there. When the Crimson card is put up, try and have a Metal card up as well, so that way the involved wrestlers can know what to expect.

Guest realitycheck

I'll quickly chime in here as I'm banging my head for commentary in my match...

I don't mind two shows a week. I would, however, prefer if we went on an 8 day schedule, opposed to the current seven. Granted, the shows would rarely happen on the same day, but it would give a more balanced writing time. 'Cause balance is importand. I mean, come on, I have a hard time believing that Edwin isn't an avid practionioner of Fung-Shui. ;)

Other than that, I don't have any major complaints. Well, other than these minor details...

-These forums. They just aren't PINK enough.

-We don't have a karaoke night.

-No unions.

-The benifits package bites.

-You all suck, I'm leaving, AND I'M NEVER COMING BACK!

-REALLY!

-I MEAN IT!

-I'M HALFWAY OUT THE DOOR NOW!

-UN-HUH! DON'T TRY TO STOP ME!

-YOU ALL HATE ME! IT'S NOT FAIR! IT JUST... ISN'T... WAHHHH!

-::runs off into wilderness::

-The stupid pop machine in the lobby keeps refusing my one dollar bill.

-I can't write commentary for my upcoming match, so I'm going to blame Crusen and say he should be removed from his position as 'Grand Pooh-Bah.'

-He abuses his power, y'see...

-Thoth is a big meanie to us.

-...even if we deserve it...

-Desipe being in this fed for three months, never laving my house to solidify my position near the top of the card, chicks still don't dig me.

-This list wasn't as funny as I had first thought, and I'm blaming YOU for it.

-Okay, this thing is dead now.

-...in retrospect, it was probably dead six lines ago.

And in case you couldn't tell with that whole list thing, [Homer]I was being sarcastic.[/Homer]

-Z

This got rid of my writers block, at least.

Guest Natural_Born_Killer

Keep the 2 shows a week the JL has had these two shows for as long as I remember. I say don't change the two show system a week to write a show would give you more no shows if you do believe you would have people waiting to the last minute to do there matches creating a lot more no shows. When you sign up for the JL its with the understanding that you will have two shows a week. Even if you do manage to get it down to a one show a week limit when you try to be bumped to the WF it will take twice as long and you will have to work twice as hard once you get there are going to be two shows and you will be out of style. I was talking to Edwin and he says that in the JL they are trying to produce the best writers as quick as possible and by cutting down the shows that would hinder there attempt.

This is only my opinion others me see it the other ways but this is how I see it.

Guest Insane Clown Dan

I'd want Crimson to be on Sunday and Metal to be on thursdays. But i know it's never going to happen, and this whole argument has always been pointless =P

Oh yeah... one actual good complaint.

What happened to the REAL world title feuds? No, seriously... it seems like the JLCC is always in a huge rush to get people bumped, but don't you think that maybe we could actually benefit from longer, deeper ME feuds?

Guest Chuck Woolery

Blah... we could use more ME feuds, indeed.  But one of the things I was thinking about was having the old you-name-the-title deal for the European title.  I always enjoyed that, even though it did get a bit annoying and repetitive, etc... that and people who would rename it the CRAP title.  But meh.  Just a thought.

EDIT 1: Oh, I think NBK brought this up, but changing show due dates to Crimson-only would probably increase no-shows, simply because people would probably put it off, thinking that it was never due, never due.  One of my ideas on show dates, though, was this.

Have three shows a week.  Wait, before ignoring me... Have one on Sunday, one Wednesday, and one Friday.  If you want to only write for Friday/Wednesday/Sunday, or write for two, or even all three, just PM the head booker your request after the Sunday show is posted.  Actually, that sounds confusing now that I think about it, but hey, I like having ideas.

- Mike Van Siclen.

Go Mercury!

Guest Insanityman

Fine... I'll be quite honest. Meh, I think both shows but I concur with the eight day schedule, also I think constant no-showers should be punished and this is a plea. I've basically been through a shitty last month or two with the Uncle and now my family (my mom's whole entire side) is in a huge fued. It does impact me and my mood to hear my mom always yelling over the phone and then my dad acting on his anger at me. I did have to no show Crimson I thank you (CC) for the shot but still I didn't feel like writing.

But Munich is right that besides the name the JL seems blanked out, *shrugs*.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Just a thought or two on the topic of main event feuds from my perspective, since it's come up.

I'd personally say that our last two big world title feuds have been very solid.  Stryke/Erek lasted from the moment Erek won the belt to 1 day before their bump to the WF, and it was full of solid title matches, really funny promos and character development, also featuring Ash and Xero as excellent supporting players and contributors.  After that bump, the title was vacated and we had a mini-tournament.  Some people no-showed, but in the end we had a solid final with Tom Flesher winning the belt.  The Flesher/Ash feud that followed resulted in a few great title matches, many mark-out moments, and a cool evolution of character for Flesher into Durandal, and weaved into all of that was the development of the New Sound.

I'd say there's no key "feud" going on in the main event right now, but we're only one show off the conclusion of the Ash/Flesher feud, and Syd and Frost already seem to have something interested fired up and getting rolling.  I'm not sure exactly what you guys are looking for in main event feuds.

One important thing to remember is that we the CC are just guides--we don't create your stories, you guys do.  Obviously the way we book stuff is important, but it's even more important that, if you want a feud to happen, let us know.  If you're working on a story with someone, keep us informed.  We go by what we see, but what we focus on storywise in matches might not be exactly what you're hoping for us to hook on to.

That sums up my thoughts on main-event feuds and feuds in general for now.  Keep the ideas coming!  This is good stuff so far.  Even if an idea doesn't end up working out, it's to have everything out on the table so we can come to the best conclusions.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

I think it should stay at two shows a week, but maybe split the roster up more between the shows a little more. We have about 20 writers working now and if you do a seven match card, all singles, that's a fine show and 4 or five people get the show off. I've been booked for every show since I joined back in the first of March and am feeling a little burned out (I will be taking a few Crimsons off through June as I go on weekend trips though) I think each writer should get at least one show off a month.

I would also like to see more straight singles matches, I don't know if the bookers feel compelled to book as many people as possible or try to make the stips as interesting as possible, but that feels like a little over kill at times. I think I wrote like four shows before getting a straight singles match when I started. Having a hardcore or triple threat match here and there is fine, but things like cage matches, or four ways, or iron man matches and what have you should be saved for special occasions and feuds.

As for building feuds, that's up to the writers. I finally had an idea of something I wanted to do and contacted Syd and she was all for it. We talked over IM and PM a few times and boom, we got the outline of a storyline off the ground. Just let your imaginations go and build something.

Guest Renegade
I think it should stay at two shows a week, but maybe split the roster up more between the shows a little more

Even better, how about we make a brand extension of the JL! We bring the ML back! WHOO!

Sometimes im so smart, i wish i was born twins.

Guest TheBostonStrangler

I've always been a big fan of three shows every two weeks. I brought this up before we moved from IGN, and I think it should be addressed again. If you start a two-week cycle, you have a show Thursday, a show on Tuesday, and a show on Sunday. Here are the benefits from this:

No matter what, there's some weekday and some weekend time between each show. Even if it's one day, it means that people wouldn't have to be left off a card since they had to work, or had school.

Also, it gives people 4 or 5 days to write. You could bump the WL's slightly, which is always a plus, and it gives people the ability to work around a slight change in plans, like an emergency one night.

Personally, I think it would also lead to more promos and angles, since there's enough time between shows to get real angles developed.

But that's just me. If you like this idea, then you get a cookie. If not, you don't. The question is: How bad do you want that cookie?

Guest Insane Clown Dan

Renegade has a good idea, but its good only in theory, since we don't have enough people to do that... correct me if I'm wrong.

Having three shows every two weeks almost sounds too good. So many more things could work out that way.

*trades Strangler's cookie for a cookie with ex-lax in it. Mwahahahaha!!!*

Guest 5_moves_of_doom
(Oh, one request: please don't ask for a hardcore title or tag titles.  Anything but that again.  Heh heh.)

Hmmmm...speaking of the tag titles....can we bring them out of retirement? ;)

Guest BA_Baracus

PROMO (Stubby P. McWeed);

"The JL as gotten too cushy.

I think you should make strides to make it worse.  For instance, asking the opinions of the wrestlers like they actually matter should be a big no-no.

I also think random WF jobbers should get to come down and beat JLers 5 on 1 in handicap matches.  Plus they shouldn't be able to come up with their own gimmicks and instead have variations of the gimmicks found on the old Wrestlecrap site assinged to them.

I do think the "JLers love the cock" thing is a step in the right direction.

Mothernature says JLers are amusing..."

Guest DiabloIIFreak1010

With all due respect toward the great stubby, I would also like to make another suggestion:

Writing for Crimsion, I find, is very hard. We've only got bout 2 or 3 days to write, and if you have a 5000 or 6000 word match, it kind of gets in your way. If Crimson was on a Sunday, then that would help out alot.

Guest Ace309

I'd just like to say that I enjoyed my cup of coffee in the JL, but I think you'd do well to put a bigger cookie tray backstage.

I'm sorry. I'll go back to stinking up the WF now. :(

Guest Rabbi_wilson13

It's up to the wrestlers themselves to make the feuds, not the CC.  You want a match, you request it.  You have a lovely group of gentlemen running you now and I'm sure they aren't going to turn you down without a reason.  Once they start doing that, then you start complaining.

Oh, and the main event with rushing to bump JLers to the WF: That's the point of the JL.  You don't want to bump a large enough number to totally throw the JL out of whack, but if a wrestler is good enough to deserve to be in the JL and there's space in the WF(which there always seems to be lately) then by all means bump them.

My 2 cents, because I'm bored and this match is scary to write cuz I konw ELM is gonna win....

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Just bumping this up in case anyone has any more ideas or grievances.  Air 'em, people!

If you haven't noticed yet, we're going to give the three show/2 weeks schedule a try starting with the next Crimson.  Seems like a good thing to at least try out, and if doesn't work, we can go back to the "old ways" having only lost a show or two at worst.

The only greivence I have is with the word DQ and the limits. Can you go over the word limit and win a match? No one has actually said yes or no but I assume the answer is no. I've learned my lesson from my matches w/ Reid and IL but I agree that since we're moving to three shows every two weeks the word limits should be increased. That match with IL had some of the best spots and psych I could come up with and I had to squeeze it all into 4500 words. I don't think a #1 contenders match for both titles should be that low. That's more than enough if not too much for a n00b like me's regular singles match-up but this was for a chance at the Euro title and it ended up being a World Title match too. I was upset at the time but now I'm cool about it because I wasn't ready for the level of writing those competitors are at but I would have liked to find out for myself. And unless auto-jobbing someone is based on a markers personal decision I can't fault the markers because they had to job me. It's the low word counts. I realize that your trying to bring people along slowly and develope them for the WF but that was a real good shot to prove myself and get noticed in a big time match but I didn't even have a chance. Sometimes you gotta' throw somebody into the pool and see if they sink or swim. I got thrown in but then a lifeguard came and saved me not even giving me a chance to find out what I was made of. That lifeguard was the word count. I know it's a bitch for the markers and I really respect them for taking time out and reading our long ass matches but it just sucks to write a match you felt really good about and get auto-jobbed because a marker couldn't give it a chance. It's like you wrote for nothing. This is just my personal opinion and I learned the hard way but I just want to save other people from losing shots because they don't quite understand the rules. I hope you guys clear that up. And so ends my little bitch.

M."Hopes he doesn't get auto-jobbed ever again" Francis

well unless I no-show ;)

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Heh.  Love the lifeguard metaphor, Mak.

In any case, the rule is this: if you go over the word limit by any amount, even one word, the marker reserves the right to auto-job you.  Most won't be quite THAT vicious, but if you go over, watch out.  I don't like to put down an estalished "grace period" word limit, so to speak, because then it's like saying "uhh, your word limit is 4500...but it's reeeeeally 4600."  It's pretty arbitrary, but necessary to keep things orderly and not drive the markers too nuts.  In sum: stay at your limits to be safe.

That said, when I'm booking cards, I usually use this as the baseline:

TV Title - 4000 words

Euro Title - 5000 words

World Title - 6000 words

If it's got more wrestlers than a singles match (tag, triple-threat, whatever) I'll usually adjust accordingly.  If it's got a fancy stip, I'll also add some extra words.  Matches that aren't for titles, that are regular matches or are just contendership matches, fall somewhere between the title brackets, with the same issues of stipulations and multiple wrestlers applied to those when it comes to additional words.

Now, seeing as the new show schedule will give you 4 days or so a match, we might increase word limits eventually, but I imagine for now we'll stick to what we have and just hope the extra time allotted decreases no-shows for those amounts.  6000 will probably always be the top-dog limit, except in special occasions where more is necessary.

And...I'm spent.

Guest Chuck Woolery

What're we going to name the third show?  I think, if we're doing a 3-show-2-week cycle, that the third show should have a name... and I was thinking.  We could have a tournament, like maybe 8 or 16 guys, and the winner gets to name the third show.  Just a thought.

- Mike Van Siclen.

Boom!

Guest WrestlingDeacon

The third show should definetly have "funk" in the title, but I thought it was still Metal and Crimson, just the scheduling was adjusted a little.

To Mak, I didn't know the going over rule when I first started and I went over by a couple hundred works my first few matches and won, the third match I went over by like 700 words and was rightfully jobbed. So, I beleive most of the markers give the writers a lot of leeway if the match is good. I think it's an extra challenge to fit your match into a certain word length and it makes for tighter faster paced contests most of the time. I like the word limits and hope they stay. I mean let's say you write a 9000 word match for a t.v. title shot and the other guys only writes 4000?

Thanks for the explaination Edwin. Like I said I learned from my mistakes but I don't won't another n00b to suffer because I didn't ask about it.

M."does it all for the n00bs" Francis

Guest Insane Clown Dan

I already said this to ya, but i'll say it again : thanks a lot, Edwin, Cruz, and rest of JLCC, for making a schedule change like this.

Really, having a fourth day with this school schedule and having all weekend/week-start to write makes a HUGE difference. IMO, you will see a lot less no-shows.

Sign in to follow this