TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
therealworldschampion

Spring college football practices are starting...

Darren McFadden is unlikely to play for Arkansas against USC to start the season. He had toe surgery after an incident in a club.

Yay, another 70-17 game.

This is subject to change before the start of the season, but here's my rough Preseason Top 25 at this point based on how good the teams are with nothing to do with their schedules:

1. LSU

2. Ohio State

3. Notre Dame

4. USC

5. West Virginia

6. Louisville

7. Florida

8. Michigan

9. Miami

10. Oklahoma

11. Arizona State

12. Texas

13. Auburn

14. Boise State

15. California

16. Florida State

17. Texas Tech

18. Iowa State

19. Georgia Tech

20. Georgia

21. Nebraska

22. Virginia Tech

23. Tennessee

24. Oregon

25. Iowa

With schedules factored in, here are my BCS projections:

National Title Game: USC over Louisville

Rose Bowl: LSU over Ohio State

Sugar Bowl: Florida over Notre Dame

Orange Bowl: Miami over West Virginia

Fiesta Bowl: Boise State over Iowa State

Your ISU pimpage is absurd as they've had talent the past few years but never did anything with it. I don't see how things will suddenly change.

Haha. OU is Dr. Dre.

Have gone through several incarnations as a champion, most recently from mid-80's menacing gangsta to sleek, TV-friendly fluff for the kids. Might lay low for a couple years, but you absolutely cannot doubt this brand name.

My top 25 is like this:

1. Ohio State

2. USC

3. Notre Dame

4. Oklahoma

5. LSU

6. Michigan

7. Florida

8. Texas

9. Miami

10. Louisville

11. Florida State

12. Tennessee

13. West Virginia

14. Michigan State

15. Penn State

16. California

17. Georgia Tech

18. Arizona State

19. Auburn

20. Nebraska

21. Iowa

22. Oregon

23. Boise State

24. Georgia

25. Iowa State

I hope I didn't piss people off. If I added more spots, Utah, Texas Tech, Boston College, Virginia Tech, and Alabama would be on it. No order. Of course, the list is as they are now. There are teams with the ability to jump far up the list with the developmental tracks that their players could take, and there are teams that could sink. 6-10 on the list are teams that could get to the title game or finish with 7 or 8 wins.

OOPS, I forgot something.

National Title Game: LSU over West Virginia

Rose Bowl: Ohio State over USC

Sugar Bowl: Oklahoma over Florida State

Orange Bowl: Michigan over Miami

Fiesta Bowl: Texas over Notre Dame

Conference Champions

ACC: Miami

Big East: WVU

Big Ten: Michigan

Big XII: Texas (Teams reload, not rebuild. In weaker conferences, this is easier)

Conference USA: Southern Miss

MAC: I honest to God couldn't tell you.

Mountain West: Utah

Pac 10: USC (Ditto Texas statement.)

SEC: LSU

Sun Belt: Lafayette

WAC: Fresno State

So, yeah. Long edit.

Yeah I know I opened a whole can of worms for Kingofthe909 to flame the hell out of me but he's doing the same thing that I get jumped on for...even more so. I wouldn't have put OU near the Top 5 last season.....and I want them at 4 or 5 this year.

He shouldn't have any response though if he has me on ignore like he claims. No point putting someone on ignore if you're going to read and respond to their posts.

2006 USC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2005 Oklahoma

I mean, yeah, #2 might be a little high, but it's far from absurd. CFN puts quite a bit of effort into their predictions and they had them #1.

The fact is there's no clear-cut #1 team this year. USC lost most of their offense, Ohio State lost most of their defense, Texas hasn't won the big one without VY, Notre Dame's untested, etc., etc. You could really make a strong argument for about ten different teams at the top spot.

Texas should be higher than I gave them credit for. They lost Vince Young, and what else?

Texas should be higher than I gave them credit for. They lost Vince Young, and what else?

That's like losing half your offence, though. His impact can't be understated.

They did lose Huff and Griffin out of the secondary.

Yes, but regardless, those offensive pieces that have been developed due to Young's greatness are still there. A large part of that offensive line (the real reason that they were successful) is still there as well. Their defense is still strong.

I can't wait for the season to start so that some of these questions can be put to rest.

Guest Princess Leena

I have no idea how Texas' offense will be, but I'm very interested in seeing Sergio Kindle. It would be fun seeing him get some time at HB, but it's not likely.

Guest Princess Leena
USC #2? Ok homer buddy. No way a team loses that much with an unproven QB and RB and comes in at #2. An absurdly homer pick.

I disagree.

Yeah I know I opened a whole can of worms for Kingofthe909 to flame the hell out of me but he's doing the same thing that I get jumped on for...even more so. I wouldn't have put OU near the Top 5 last season.....and I want them at 4 or 5 this year.

He shouldn't have any response though if he has me on ignore like he claims. No point putting someone on ignore if you're going to read and respond to their posts.

Don't tempt me. If he's responding to me when he knows I have him ignored, damn.

Enough about that from me, I won't dwell on it.

I like CFN, but the website lags for me on my slow ass internet.

Gotta go with Dama here. Iowa State is just sorta there, not a team you can look past, but not one that'll give a focused, superior team any trouble.

I don't remember how I found this. It's a couple of years old but still mostly valid, so enjoy:

http://sexy-results.blogspot.com/2005/07/s...l-spiritms.html

Love that page. Done by a UVA graduate, too. We're Mobb Deep, which is all too disappointingly appropriate.

As for USC at #2 being homeriffic...seems perfectly fine to me. There are probably 7-8 teams you could make an argument for being #1 in the nation on paper at this point, and they're definitely one of them. I'm excited about this season because it's starting relatively wide open--no one team has been seen enough yet to be anointed king. I'd still rather we waited on all polling until a few weeks into the season, but this year is a decent enough setup.

Well, Texas lost 4 first team all-Big XII defensive players in addition to Young. They'll probably be the best team in the Big XII by December, but I don't think they'll have developed well enough by October 7th to beat Oklahoma.

USC safety Brandon Ting tested positive for steroids last winter and would have been ineligible this season before deciding to quit the football team with his twin brother, Ryan, according to multiple sources.

According to an NCAA official, players who test positive lose one year of eligibility and are held out of competition for one year. The penalty cannot coincide with a redshirt year.

Link

Holy shit...

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma starting quarterback Rhett Bomar will not play for the Sooners this season following an investigation by the team, according to a television report.

Oklahoma confirmed that two players had been dismissed by the team but did not identify them. The school said in a statement that the players violated NCAA rules by working at a private business and taking "payment over an extended period of time in excess of time actually worked."

ESPN Link

I laughed when I heard that it was Bomar.

Because they came on the radio and they go "Two OU players have been kicked off the team for receiving improper benefits"

and I just blurted out "Douche bag frat boy Bomar!"

and then they go "One is Rhett Bomar and the other is unknown" and I just busted up laughing.

I already knew he was getting improper benefits(i know what all of them are doing wrong) it was just how long until he got caught. The other player thrown off was O-Lineman JD Quinn.

Well OU is dicked and shouldn't be ranked in the Top 15 now. Sure they got AD but they don't have a QB that's taken a snap. They have JC transfer Joey Halzle and true freshman Sam Bradford......hmmm.......sounds like they're screwed.

There was talk about moving Paul Thompson back to QB but he played WR all of last year and has practiced at nothing but WR all spring and summer. When I talked to him last he said he was happy that he was a WR and he was glad he didn't have to worry about QB.

My friend made the best point in relation to that. He said: "Well he shouldn't have gotten comfortable because Bomar was in front of him." Everyone around here knows that Bomar is a complete moron. He got busted for drinking twice and he's an honorary member of the biggest party fraternity on campus. He's an idiot. I'm glad his douche baggery is out of the way and they can concentrate on maybe building Bradford as a QB for the future because he's not an idiot and he's not a jackass like Bomar.

(that was another thing Bomar was a dick)

Holy shit...

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma starting quarterback Rhett Bomar will not play for the Sooners this season following an investigation by the team, according to a television report.

Oklahoma confirmed that two players had been dismissed by the team but did not identify them. The school said in a statement that the players violated NCAA rules by working at a private business and taking "payment over an extended period of time in excess of time actually worked."

ESPN Link

He sucked anyway. They only move down a spot or two, in my eyes. All they have to do is give the ball to Peterson, who's easily the best back in the country. No big deal.

He got better as the season went on. He's athletically gifted and more athletically gifted than Heupel, Hybl, or White could dream of being. Problem is those guys had a brain and Bomar doesn't. Bomar couldn't read a defense to save his life.

You say for them to keep handing the ball to Peterson but they tried that last year and he got hurt.....twice!

OU has gone from a national title contender to fighting for the conference title in 2 seasons. Sucks.