TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Should We Rebuild The Twin Towers?

Well, it is 9 months since 9/11. Wounds are healed. Our emotions are in check. We are all much better and so the next step is to decide what to do with the place now known as "Ground Zero." For me, personally, the Twin Towers were my favorite buildings in New York. Soaring high above all other buildings, it became synmous with Manhattan. Now, without them, New York seems so small. That is why I think the Twin Towers should be built again in all their magnatude. As a matter of fact, they should be built higher. 112 feet just as a way to say "UP YOURS!" to Osama Bin Laden and Al Queda. Now, some may say, "No one is going to want to work in an area where 2,823 people died and where their remains still exist." But, why let that be the memorial? Let that be a symbol that the U.S. is still stronger than ever. No one works there, just let them stand tall. Or, let the top floors be the memorial and the bottom floors be the offices. Or, they could tear down the World Finacial Center and create a park at the bottom of the Twin Towers. If they are going to build World Trade Center #7, why not #'s 1 & 2? One more solution, is to place the towers some where close to Ground Zero for all those who don't want it there and create a different memorial at Ground Zero.

The Twin Towers will rise again I believe they will. Maybe next year, maybe in the year 2008, whenever, as long as people believe, the Twin Towers will rise again.

What do you think?

Guest Invader3k

Well, the Big Bossman is getting on in age and I haven't seen Akeem since his last run in WCW about six years ago. They were never that great of a team, but it would be cool to see Slick again.

...sorry, couldn't resist.

?????????????????????????????

WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH MY QUESTION?

Guest gthureson

Yah, and they should make them bigger this time, so they don't have to aim the planes quite so much.

Guest areacode212

Bossman & Akeem were a tag team called the Twin Towers in the late 80s.

As for the original question, I loved the WTC as well--I spent a lot of time going to school nearby, and often went to the Krispy Kreme & Borders stores in 5 WTC. However, building the towers as they were probably won't happen. They want to redesign the street grid so that traffic flows more easily around the area (extending West Broadway and/or Greenwich Street), and possibly build cultural facilities in addition to office space. Face it, after working hours or weekends, there was really no reason to be in the area of the WTC unless you were shopping at the mall. But if they had some kind of cultural building (concert venue, museum, whatever), more people will flock down there during "off-peak" hours, thus improving the area's economy.

For practical reasons, do you think people would want to work in a pair of buildings that was attacked twice? For me, seeing the towers rebuilt would almost be like pretending that 9/11 never happened, which is just as bad as trying to erase footage of the buildings from old TV shows. We've already done a good job of saying "FUCK YOU, OSAMA".

Also, I wouldn't go so far as to say that "wounds are healed". Ask the families if they've gotten over it, and I'm guessing that they won't be. Every time I look down West Broadway and see an empty hole in the sky, I still get mad as hell (but that doesn't mean that I want them rebuilt).

We need to rebuild them just to show our dominance as a country and to show that a few fuckin terrorists can't fuck our way of life, which btw has not happened.  Rebuild them not to say fuck you osama, but rebuild them to say, fuck anyone who thinks about fuckin with us, because we come back stronger than ever.

--Rob

Guest dreamer420

and what if they get attacked again?  then how would the u.s. look then?  a nice memorial would be appropriate I think.

Guest Some Guy

i don't see any need to rebuild the towers as they were.  A memorial and a few smaller buildings would be good.

Guest Invader3k

While it would be nice to just re-build the Towers to "show the terrorists we cannot be beaten", realistically New York would need to look at a project of that size from an economic and logistical standpoint.

Guest hardyz1

Man, I'm SO pissed that someone beat me to the Bossman/Akeem joke.

Damn you Invader3k.

Guest J*ingus

If we did rebuild the towers, it might be a good idea to put a large number of anti-aircraft missle installations on the roof.  Not just Stingers, they're worthless against jumbo jets, I mean the big boys.

Guest DrTom

We need to put something there to replace the WTC.  Ignoring the human aspect, there were thousands of offices inside those buildings, and not all of them could be easily located.  

What I'd like to see is a ring of about five smaller buildings with some kind of memorial park in the center.  That way, the offices are replaced with much less inviting targets, and those who died on 9/11 are still honored.

Guest TJH

There are other practical reasons we should rebuild them.

NYC lost a whole stack of office space in the attacks, so that must be a consideration. I favour rebuilding the WTC, with some kind of appropriate memorial as well.

Nothing would say get fucked to Osama like rebuilding the towers.

If they stayed down, he would win.

Guest J*ingus

If we did rebuild the towers, they shouldn't be built to look exactly like the old ones.  That would be like trying to pretend it never happened.  So yeah, build them again, but different, so that we'll remember what happened every time we look at them.

If we did rebuild the towers, it might be a good idea to put a large number of anti-aircraft missle installations on the roof.  Not just Stingers, they're worthless against jumbo jets, I mean the big boys.

They could work but they would kill the innocent people on board.

If we did rebuild the towers, they shouldn't be built to look exactly like the old ones.  That would be like trying to pretend it never happened.  So yeah, build them again, but different, so that we'll remember what happened every time we look at them.

There is talk of the memorial being in the shape of the Twin Towers. Some ideas being considered are transparent towers, towers with leftist messages on them, and multicolor towers.

Guest gthureson

They could work but they would kill the innocent people on board.

Well, they die when the plane hits the building too.

Guest DrTom

"If we did rebuild the towers, it might be a good idea to put a large number of anti-aircraft missle installations on the roof.  Not just Stingers, they're worthless against jumbo jets, I mean the big boys.

They could work but they would kill the innocent people on board."

Not to mention all the people in downtown Manhattan who would be hit by falling, flaming debris, the smaller buildings that would be damaged and/or destroyed by pieces of the plane, etc.  There's just no feasible way to use anti-aircraft missile in a large city like NY.  And if one of those missiles missed its mark, you'd be looking at a lot of damage, a lot of casualties, and a whole bunch of lawsuits.

Nothing would say get fucked to Osama like rebuilding the towers.

If they stayed down, he would win.

i think a cruise missile performing an anal probe on bin Laden would get the point across more effectively than rebuilding the towers. I'm against the rebuilding of the towers basically because that would be a sad reminder to survivors and victim's family members. If you had lost a loved one in those attacks, would you want to look up and see WTC part 2 every day? Not I...

Guest Insanityman

Yeah, (keep in mind I'm not an American mark but all means) let's build them just to watch them topple over again! A nice site would be nice for it. Look we don't need to show Bin Laden a "Fuck him" we're already spending money and men finding the little fucker. Granted they were beautiful, but missile launcers on them... what? (Just doesn't seem right). Just make a memorial there.

I see the good and bad of this but I am going on the out to say we SHOULD NOT rebuild them. Yeah, by rebuilding them we can stick to bin laden, but if we ever catch him then there would be no need to. I did not loose someone close who worked there so I dont know what the families of the victims want but if I was them, I dont think I would necessarily want a recreation of the buildings that is just as or bigger because it would just be a haunting memory. Plus if 9/11 was to ever happen again, it would be more money and lives gone to waste. I mean come on, if they did rebuild the towers, would you want to be near them knowing that the past could repeat itself, and if they started hiring people again to work there, which I doubt they would but incase they did, would anyone want to work at the place where thousands died  knowing it could happen again. But then again it all goes back I guess to not letting terrorism fear us from doing or redoing something we want. I am very mixed but I guess I could say no, just build a small memorial. NY is still one of the biggest cities and it wont hurt it too much not having the WTC rebuilt.